Crypto Sponsorship for the AFL - and now NFTs

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They're targeted ads so you're telling on yourself

I have a work phone which I most certainly dont look at anything naughty on and I havent seen them in ages so it would be interesting to know what I was doing on a work phone that would have Google think I was keen on getting myself a Russian bride.

These days I see all sorts of healthy living type ads. Clearly Google knows Im a lazy fat * who will turn around his life by clicking on internet ads.

Nov 24, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
I have a work phone which I most certainly dont look at anything naughty on and I havent seen them in ages so it would be interesting to know what I was doing on a work phone that would have Google think I was keen on getting myself a Russian bride.
That isn't much of a defence, algorithms know it's you using both phones. Anything you do on either phone or other computers etc influences the ads you see. Explains why I see unlimited BWS and Kayo ads here...

Give Katerina my regards!

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That isn't much of a defence, algorithms know it's you using both phones. Anything you do on either phone or other computers etc influences the ads you see. Explains why I see unlimited BWS and Kayo ads here...

Give Katerina my regards!

Only one phone. Im cheap :)

Anyway I havent seen them for a while. I miss Katerina. I do hope she found true love - while she bled the guy dry then moved on to the next mark.

Surely all the $$$ you get for the Russian bride ads gets invested somewhere?
Oh yeah I suppose. I put it all back into Russian brides. Sometimes Estonian. I kind of think I'm putting all my eggs in one basket, though.

And the company sponsoring the AFL has been absolutely smashed because people are now realising what they are selling is a giant scam.
From a video I think I posted earlier (I'm on phone):

(Edit, here's the post.)

* you create a big box.

* You tell people the box is special and can fix a big problem in the world for a fee.

* create 100 million tokens people can buy to put in that box.

* create another 100 million tokens to keep as a reserve.

* you promise that every day the box will spit out 1 token for every hundred that are bought and put in the box. The box is special, remember?

* you shine the box up, add chrome details, and make flashy ads for it.

* Everyone wants the tokens, so you float the price according to demand, and sell 10 mil of the 100 mil tokens. Each token is now worth double what it cost!

* Then start giving out tokens from your reserve as interest. People hear about this! It's real!

* New people buy in! You sell out of your 100 million tokens.

* You = rich.

* After a while your reserve of tokens dwindles. You sell the remaining tokens to new buyers.

* You = richer still.

* You change the return from one token per 100 per day to 1 token per 1000 per day.

* People start selling your token. It loses 97% of its value.

* Some token holders = rich, some token holders = poor.

* But that doesn't matter. You = rich.

Last edited:
The most recent events that make me think "I hope the AFL got all their crypto.com sponsorship money up front":

From what I have watched in the past two days, sitting on the couch with some non-Covid virus, is:

One of the biggest "stable coins" - a coin pegged to teh US dollar - used a mathematical method to stabilise the price of their coin at $1 US.

From what the YouToob tells your boy Chief, their system had TWO coins.

One of the coins was a reserve to buy and sell the first.

If the price was too high, the reserve sold coins to drive the price down.

If the price was too low, the reserve bought coins to drive the price up.

Crypto-currency markets are being rocked after a popular token lost 99% of its value, dragging down a so-called "stablecoin" with it.

The Terra Luna token fell from a high of $118 (£96), last month, to $0.09 on Thursday.

The collapse had a knock-on effect on a linked token, TerraUSD, which is normally stable.

And spooked investors are now pulling out of major crypto-currencies, sending markets plummeting.

The companies behind stablecoins try to ensure they remain in parity with assets such as the US dollar - with one token equalling $1, for example.

But on Thursday TerraUSD fell to $0.4 according to the trading website Coin Market Cap.

Tether, the most popular stablecoin, also fell off its US dollar peg - to an all-time low of $0.95.

Unfortunately, this has been tried many times before and never worked.

Or rather, it works until it doesn't. The token that is supposed to be worth $US1 is now worth $US0.17 and falling:

1652420641303.png

Apparently the issue is that when the price is falling, it's likely that Bitcoin and other tokens are falling too. As this Terra coin is a top 10 crypto, it's taking a whole heap of other s**t with it.

This seems to be why many many experts say that a digital token with no inherent use is a fundamentally bad investment.

If it was gold, you could still put it in a box and sell it over time for industrial and decorative purposes.

As it's a record in a database, nobody has a material use for it.

As @bexcrypto says:

1652421185032.png

Thanks, Bex.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The most recent events that make me think "I hope the AFL got all their crypto.com sponsorship money up front":

They would have for this year, but it was a multi-year sponsorship. So Gil is okay. Whoever comes next inherits his mess.

One day the Commission will step in and tell the Executive to actually focus on the long term health of football, but given they are all too busy organising business deals with eachother, I dont hold much hope for it to be soon.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
No offence but this is very basic investing advice. The authors have figured out how to generate a chart so good for them but if you invest and didn't already know this you might have some issues.
Well yeah it's very basic but listen to any Joe blogs crypto 'investors' talk for 5 minutes and get back to us.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I really feel bad for people losing big money in this crash.

There will be knock-on effects in family break ups and worse.
There was a guy in news story a few months ago that had all his holdings stolen from him (I dunno like $100k or something) which was sad of course and he was saying how it had ruined their plans to buy a house. But he had all of his capital in it! Putting your life savings into one thing no matter what is is just pure stupidity, let alone something speculative.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

From what I have watched in the past two days, sitting on the couch with some non-Covid virus, is:

One of the biggest "stable coins" - a coin pegged to teh US dollar - used a mathematical method to stabilise the price of their coin at $1 US.

From what the YouToob tells your boy Chief, their system had TWO coins.

One of the coins was a reserve to buy and sell the first.

If the price was too high, the reserve sold coins to drive the price down.

If the price was too low, the reserve bought coins to drive the price up.

Unfortunately, this has been tried many times before and never worked.

Or rather, it works until it doesn't. The token that is supposed to be worth $US1 is now worth $US0.17 and falling:

View attachment 1398929

Apparently the issue is that when the price is falling, it's likely that Bitcoin and other tokens are falling too. As this Terra coin is a top 10 crypto, it's taking a whole heap of other s**t with it.

This seems to be why many many experts say that a digital token with no inherent use is a fundamentally bad investment.

If it was gold, you could still put it in a box and sell it over time for industrial and decorative purposes.

As it's a record in a database, nobody has a material use for it.

As @bexcrypto says:

View attachment 1398934

Thanks, Bex.

It appears you and Bex differ over the merits of this coin Chief.

The entire world tried to do this for decades with gold and failed.

Yes. It's horrible. You can't blame people for looking for a way to move up, buy a house, whatever.

You have a media breathlessly pumping up crypto. Showcasing the winners.

Governments that ignored the sector almost entirely.

Masses of scammers running pump and dump scams on chat apps.

With big companies and investment funds sitting there skimming off the top.

******* criminals.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Yes. It's horrible. You can't blame people for looking for a way to move up, buy a house, whatever.
Yes an no, if you are going to get greedy on taking a lazy shortcut you have to take some personal responsibility. Putting personal opinions on crypto itself aside once again you shouldn't need to be told that putting most or all of one's capital into any one thing let alone something speculative it very, very foolish.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
market cycle.png

New retail investors lose heavily because they buy after media attention and don't take profits on the way up, then refuse to cut their losses because of sunk cost fallacy.

Back