Draft Expert Davo-27's 2022 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking at the differences between my rankings and BF Phantom that happened recently

the balance between SA/WA/VIC/ALLIES in the Phantom Draft was a bit more reasonable than my rankings, as im a bit behind in my WA/SA information at this point of the year

Conrad Williams - he is one i have just outside my top 60, i've mentioned him a lot over the last 12 months
Jakob Ryan - apparently is in good form this year, wasnt overly impressed with him last year, so i'll wait until i see more
Harry Barnett - another i have liked and have him lower than he probably deserves
Ryan Eyers - 19 year old i believe from NSW border playing for Murray/Allies, has been better in his overage year, but im not sure?
Will Elliot - in the 2 games i saw him play this year he was very underwhelming, played as a ruckman resting forward and was beaten comprehensively, now he is having surgery on his knee
Toby McMullin - i dont know much about him, has not played this year
Tyson Walls - his height is an issue, can play and had a great game for the Allies as an underager SA player
Nick Sadler - i like his game and i probably should have him in my top 60
Hudson O'Keefe - he and McLarty are playing ruck for Oakleigh, both similar players with O'Keefe having a slight edge
Cameron Owen - Tassie ruck/forw, has not been overly impressive this year, a chance late/rookie
Will Verrall - SA ruck similar to Owen
Brodie Tuck - i have had him in my lists for a bit, maybe another i have dropped too far?
Jayden Davey - well if his brother goes mid-30's he will also probably get picked up
Eli Pearce - was one i have liked and was surprised when someone picked him in the BF Phantom Draft
Jovan Petric - another i have liked and surprised someone picked him in the BF Phantom Draft
Finn Emile-Brennan - a player who has good movement, but his ordinary disposal, lack of physical contests and slight build make me not as big of a fan as others are
Blake Hansen, Steely Green, Wade Derksen, Jasper Scaife and Luke Taylor are blind spots for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ted Clohesy - he was really strong in the Geelong midfield earlier in the year, Geelong seem likely to get him 40+ at this rate
Josh Weddle - has been really strong defensively and as an attacking runner, is tall and has great athletic qualities for Oakleigh and more importantly knows how to play footy.
Jaxon Binns - i wasnt a huge fan of his u17s games last year at the champs, but this year he has been an attacking weapon for Dandenong on the wings/mid
Josh Bennetts/Zac Greeves - really liked their outputs for Eastern, would love to see them get opportunities at the champs level to see if they sink or swim
Coby Burgiel - another that has had a great year so far and i want to see how they do at a higher level
Jack O'Sullivan - was unlucky not to get drafted in the BF Phantom Draft, has had a couple of great games this season and was a highlight last year
Brady Wright - impact/x-factor player in the forwardline for GWV, GWV are a weak team this year so their top end talents arent able to shine as much, but he has a lot of talent as a forward imo
Ben McCarthy - Bris A player that reminds me of Maynard at Collingwood, good build, moves well, good disposal, strong in the contest, a diamond in the brisbane academy rough.
Harry Rowston - has been a really good player for GWS A and could be close to being picked up by GWS or a rival club potentially?
Angus Curry - GWS A playing for Oakleigh, in the same boat as Rowston where GWS might only take Lawrence and Madden and let the other 2 Academy players go into the open pool?

Last edited:
Cal Twomey named his top 11 atm in the most recent Road to the draft podcast.

Elijah Tsatas
George Wardlaw
Will Ashcroft
Harry Sheezel
Harry Lemmey
Elijah Hewett
Jedd Busslinger
.Tom. Scully
Brayden George
Oliver Hollands
Jhye Clark

then he mentioned 3 players that might be top 20 players in:

Bailey Humphrey
Cam McKenzie
Al Davey Jnr

a guess at what the Vic Metro and Vic Country teams might look like

VIC METRO

B: Rye Penny(Cald), Lewis Hayes(East), Nathan Philactides(Oak*)
HB: Luke Teal(Oak), Cam MacKenzie(Sand), Josh Weddle(Oak)
C: Elijah Tsatas(Oak), Blake Drury(Oak), Josh Bennetts(East)
HF: Harry Sheezel(Sand), Nate Caddy(North*), Charlie Clarke(Sand)
F: Al Davey Jnr(Oak), Matthew Jefferson(Oak), Nick Watson(East*)
R: Hudson O'Keefe(Oak), George Wardlaw(Oak), Will Ashcroft(Sand)

INT: Nick McLarty(Oak), Cooper Harvey(North), Paul Pascu(Cald), Ben Hempel(Sand)

EMER: Caleb Windsor(East*), Cam Nyko(East*), Archie Roberts(Sand*)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIC COUNTRY

B: Cooper Vickery(Gipps), James Van Es(GWV), Jonti Schuback(Gipps)
HB: Max Clohesy(Murr), Henry Hustwaite(Dand), Jason Gilbee(Bend)
C: Jaxon Binns(Dand), Mitch Szybkowski(Dand), Ted Clohesy(Geel)
HF: Taj Campbell-Farrell(Dand), Olivier Northam(Geel), Bailey Humphrey(Gipps)
F: Brayden George(Murr), Aaron Cadman(GWV), Jack O'Sullivan(Oak)
R: Harvey Howe(Gipps), Jhye Clark(Geel), Oliver Hollands(Murr)

INT: Noah Long(Bend), Coby Burgiel(Gipps), Harley Reid(Bend*), Zane Duursma(Gipps*)

EMER: Brady Wright(GWV), Josh Hamilton(Bend*), Cooper Simpson(Dand*)

* = for 2023 draft

Last edited:

VIC METRO

INT: Nick McLarty(Oak), Cooper Harvey(North), Paul Pascu(Cald), Ben Hempel(Sand)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIC COUNTRY

INT: Noah Long(Bend), Coby Burgiel(Gipps), Harley Reid(Bend*), Zane Duursma(Gipps*)

* = for 2023 draft
Both line ups look strong. Has the squad of 50 been released for VM & VC or is this based on what you have seen?

The vic metro side looks very strong. Especially mids and fwds.
Who would you have at CHB
Could you do your teams for metro & county please PMBangers.
Gruzewski would be my CHB atm for Metro, or even an overeager like Leiu

VIC METRO

VIC COUNTRY

* = for 2023 draft

What can you tell me about James Van Es and Henry Hustwaite ... are they expected to be drafted this year?

What can you tell me about James Van Es and Henry Hustwaite ... are they expected to be drafted this year?

James Van Es is 196cm 97kg key defender, reliable solid defender, good intercept mark , uses it well, good positioning, not sure on his athletic profile, but the combine will test that later in the year, was one of the better players for Vic Country in the u17's champs, played well for a weakish GWV team this year, cant wait to see how he goes at the champs later in the year.

Henry Hustwaite is 194cm 84kg can play Key Defender but is also a good Inside Midfielder, which is an odd pairing of roles, i first saw him cut up teams as an inside mid for Dandenong and thought who is this big lump of a lad, then he went back to CHB and played a key position role, i also noticed when Dandenong need some toughness in the midfield they throw him in there, when he has it he makes good decisions and is a good user of the footy under pressure, i value the flexibility in roles that he has and the impact he has when playing these roles.

i think you can only say the first 30 or so are expected to be drafted after that its all about which recruiting team likes which player, i dont think either are in the top 30 so it depends on recruiting teams and what they think, i think they should be drafted, but who knows?

VIC METRO

VIC COUNTRY

* = for 2023 draft
what can u tell me about the metro bottom agers?

VM - Based on what I have seen live and on vision. At this stage these seem to be the standouts and all playing regularly at NAB.

Nick Watson - Small fwd. Elite fwd craft and speed also a 2.9 in the 20m at the preseason testing. Elite every time he touches the ball. He makes backs very nervous. 168cm. Has nice traits. Clubs will be all over Watson in 2023. Lightly built. 2021 Won Eastern Rangers Best First Yr player (16yrs)
Nathan Philactides - running HB. Elite speed. Ran a 2.9 in the 20m at the preseason testing. Great decision making. Has nice traits. 182cm good build. 2021 Won Chargers best first yr player (16yrs)
Caleb Windsor - mid/fwd. Elite Speed ran a 2.8 at the preseason testing. 183cm lightly/mid built. Can win a lot of the ball and uses it well.
Cam Nyko - small fwd. Has got some hops for a small. Tested preseason but nothing that stood out. 177cm. Has moments that show what's to come. I see him getting better as he feels more comfortable at the level.
Archie Roberts - running HB/BP. Not overly quick but uses the ball well. Tested preseason but nothing that stood out. 182cm. He had a really good game 1. Another player that has got a lot of upside and will get better as the year goes on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Allies squad announced for 2022 NAB AFL National Championships – Boys U18

NAMESURNAMEDOBSTATECOMMUNITY CLUBACADEMY/TEAM
NedStevens7/6/2003Northern TerritoryWaratahNT Thunder / Gold Coast Suns
RileyStone11/8/2003Northern TerritoryPalmerstonNT Thunder / Gold Coast Suns
AnthonyMunkara3/10/2004Northern TerritoryTiwi BombersWest Adelaide / NT Thunder
LloydJohnston21-09-04Northern TerritoryWanderersNT Thunder
BeauTedcastle29-03-04Northern TerritorySt Mary'sGWV Rebels / NT Thunder
FletcherHart1/7/2003NSW/ACTAlburyMurray Bushrangers
EthanGrace1/11/2003NSW/ACTEast Coast EaglesGWS Giants
TobyMurray3/11/2003NSW/ACTWangaratta RoversMurray Bushrangers
WillEdwards8/5/2003NSW/ACTManly Warringah WolvesSydney Swans
AngusCurry5/10/2004NSW/ACTTurvey ParkGWS Giants
HarryRowston12/8/2004NSW/ACTGriffith SwansGWS Giants
CaidenCleary5/3/2005NSW/ACTSydney UniversitySydney Swans
NickNewton13-05-04NSW/ACTHentyGWS Giants
JasonGillbee15-05-04NSW/ACTBalranaldBendigo Pioneers
TobyAlker16-03-03NSW/ACTUNSW BulldogsSydney Swans
LukeLawrence16-03-04NSW/ACTMangoplahGWS Giants
ChristianWebster16-07-04NSW/ACTPennant Hills DemonsSydney Swans
NickMadden17-05-04NSW/ACTOsborneGWS Giants
RyanEyres22-04-03NSW/ACTCorowa RutherglenMurray Bushrangers
LukeFellows25-02-03NSW/ACTTurvey ParkGWS Giants
AngusAnderson25-05-03NSW/ACTSawtell SaintsSydney Swans
JordanEndemann30-08-03NSW/ACTUNSW BulldogsSydney Swans
IndhiKirk31-08-04NSW/ACTUNSW BulldogsSydney Swans
JackManly4/2/2004QueenslandWilston GrangeBrisbane Lions
JoshuaCooper5/2/2004QueenslandAspleyBrisbane Lions
JakeRogers2/3/2005QueenslandBroadbeachGold Coast Suns
EthanRead7/7/2005QueenslandPalm Beach CurrumbinGold Coast Suns
JedWalter8/6/2005QueenslandPalm Beach CurrumbinGold Coast Suns
ShadeauBrain13-02-04QueenslandNoosaBrisbane Lions
BrinnLittle14-04-03QueenslandPalm Beach CurrumbinGold Coast Suns Academy
JedFoggo15-05-03QueenslandPalm Beach CurrumbinGold Coast Suns
MarlinCorbett18-02-04QueenslandSurfers ParadiseGold Coast Suns
LiamHude18-09-04QueenslandSherwoodBrisbane Lions
JamesLewis19-08-03QueenslandSherwoodBrisbane Lions
JaredEckersley22-03-04QueenslandBroadbeachGold Coast Suns
LawsenFord23-12-03QueenslandBroadbeachGold Coast Suns
JaspaFletcher24-02-04QueenslandSherwoodBrisbane Lions
WilliamBella31-01-03QueenslandPalm Beach CurrumbinGold Coast Suns
LachlanCowan1/12/2004TasmaniaNorth LauncestonTasmania Devils
ColbyMcKercher12/4/2005TasmaniaLauncestonTasmania Devils
BrandonLeary13-05-03TasmaniaNorth LauncestonTasmania Devils
TomMcCallum15-09-04TasmaniaClarenceTasmania Devils
RyleySanders21-01-05TasmaniaNorth LauncestonSandringham Dragons
WillSplann25-10-03TasmaniaNorth HobartTasmania Devils
CameronOwen28-05-04TasmaniaClarenceTasmania Devils
SethCampbell29-12-04TasmaniaNorth LauncestonTasmania Devils

someone already answered it, but they missed Nate Caddy

Nate Caddy is one of the best medium forwards at 190cm in this year in the NAB League, athletic, tall, great in the contest, very impressive, can kick a long goal, has been in red hot form, a few more cm's and he could make a very good KPF

VM - Based on what I have seen live and on vision. At this stage these seem to be the standouts and all playing regularly at NAB.

Nick Watson - Small fwd. Elite fwd craft and speed also a 2.9 in the 20m at the preseason testing. Elite every time he touches the ball. He makes backs very nervous. 168cm. Has nice traits. Clubs will be all over Watson in 2023. Lightly built. 2021 Won Eastern Rangers Best First Yr player (16yrs)
Nathan Philactides - running HB. Elite speed. Ran a 2.9 in the 20m at the preseason testing. Great decision making. Has nice traits. 182cm good build. 2021 Won Chargers best first yr player (16yrs)
Caleb Windsor - mid/fwd. Elite Speed ran a 2.8 at the preseason testing. 183cm lightly/mid built. Can win a lot of the ball and uses it well.
Cam Nyko - small fwd. Has got some hops for a small. Tested preseason but nothing that stood out. 177cm. Has moments that show what's to come. I see him getting better as he feels more comfortable at the level.
Archie Roberts - running HB/BP. Not overly quick but uses the ball well. Tested preseason but nothing that stood out. 182cm. He had a really good game 1. Another player that has got a lot of upside and will get better as the year goes on.

out of them all, Caddy and Watson are possible top 10 players for next year

possible top 10 for 2023

Jack Delean - SA
Nate Caddy - VM
Daniel Curtin - WA
Zane Duursma - VC
Nick Watson - VM
Harley Reid - VC
Jed Walter - Allies(Gold Coast A)
Caiden Cleary - Allies(Sydney A)

Last edited:

Nate Caddy is one of the best medium forwards at 190cm in this year in the NAB League, athletic, tall, great in the contest, very impressive, can kick a long goal, has been in red hot form, a few more cm's and he could make a very good KPF

possible top 10 for 2023

Jack Delean - SA
Nate Caddy - VM
Daniel Curtin - WA
Zane Duursma - VC
Nick Watson - VM
Harley Reid - VC
Ashton Moir ??

possible top 10 for 2023

Jack Delean - SA
Nate Caddy - VM
Daniel Curtin - WA
Zane Duursma - VC
Nick Watson - VM
Harley Reid - VC
Huge fan of caddy. He is actually 192cm at 16 so I think he gets to 194/195cm. Great speed and a lot of natural forward craft. Definitely shaping as a likely top 10 pick.

Ashton Moir ??

Moir absolutely

yea he also seems to be likened as a top 10 pick, i have not seen him play as yet, but im sure he will also be in that group from what others have said, at this stage its very early to make any real calls, this is just speculation if anything.

possible top 10 for 2023

Jack Delean - SA
Nate Caddy - VM
Daniel Curtin - WA
Zane Duursma - VC
Nick Watson - VM
Harley Reid - VC
Yep sorry my bad. Nate Caddy is a natural fwd. I like how he moves, he hits the ball up really well and is a nice kick of the footy. A little inconsistent atm, however, he is still a bottom ager so there is lots of time to improve his consistency. Not sure he is top 10 at this stage but is on the right path to be drafted.

watched most of the AFL Academy Vs Collingwood VFL game, thought it went as expected for the most part, except for a few players who were a bit flat

Midfield: Wardlaw, Ashcroft, Clark and Szybkowski played good games fitting in well with the pace, Tsatas was good without starring, Fletcher showed some speed and good positioning at times, D'Aloia did really well in the centre and is more than just a centre clearance player, Hollands did quite well under pressure also, Hewett was not at his best, Davey also not at his best.

Forwards: Munkara was the star in the forwardline, i thought Scully showed a bit in the first quarter or 2 when he was part time rucking and then floating forward to take marks, but not as outstanding as i would expect from a top 10 pick, Lemmey also had a poor day and questions about being top 5 might be asked?, Sheezel also had a quiet day, he can be up and down a bit, Jefferson and Cadman lead and gave them structure,

Defenders: Teal was impressive, but i knew that already, Michaelanny and Busslinger were solid on the tall opponents, Hustwaite was probably the best and most versatile KPD, Cowan had a penetrating kick from defence all game, Gillbee got poss a lot, but probably turned over/fumbled/brain faded about 5-10 times during the game.

i'll need to rewatch it again.

watched most of the AFL Academy Vs Collingwood VFL game, thought it went as expected for the most part, except for a few players who were a bit flat

Midfield: Wardlaw, Ashcroft, Clark and Szybkowski played good games fitting in well with the pace, Tsatas was good without starring, Fletcher showed some speed and good positioning at times, D'Aloia did really well in the centre and is more than just a centre clearance player, Hollands did quite well under pressure also, Hewett was not at his best, Davey also not at his best.

Forwards: Munkara was the star in the forwardline, i thought Scully showed a bit in the first quarter or 2 when he was part time rucking and then floating forward to take marks, but not as outstanding as i would expect from a top 10 pick, Lemmey also had a poor day and questions about being top 5 might be asked?, Sheezel also had a quiet day, he can be up and down a bit, Jefferson and Cadman lead and gave them structure,

Defenders: Teal was impressive, but i knew that already, Michaelanny and Busslinger were solid on the tall opponents, Hustwaite was probably the best and most versatile KPD, Cowan had a penetrating kick from defence all game, Gillbee got poss a lot, but probably turned over/fumbled/brain faded about 5-10 times during the game.

i'll need to rewatch it again.

Interested in your assement of Daloia as more than just a centre clearance player. What other parts of his game did you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back