Lack of Indigenous Coaching Staff... Time for a 'Rooney Rule'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
The idea isn't bad and is no imposition of consequence. It does seem like a solution to a problem that is assumed to exist. Maybe someone here about to do a doctoral research paper in the social sciences can investigate whether there actually is a problem of under representation tied to structural inequality. If not - no problem. If so, then come the questions about whether it is something that should be addressed and how. Nothing I've seen is anywhere close to enough evidence to suggest there's a problem, or that a Rooney Rule will fix it. Maybe someone can educate me on that.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Always thought we should apply a similar rule to residential housing. ie. If your household has 5 or more members you are required to house 1 indigenous members.

It would solve our national diversity crises as well as solve our indigenous poverty issue too.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Always thought we should apply a similar rule to residential housing. ie. If your household has 5 or more members you are required to house 1 indigenous members.

It would solve our national diversity crises as well as solve our indigenous poverty issue too.
Nope - would just mean suddenly there aren't any houses with more than 5 people in them. And that would create higher demand for new housing. Which would lead to higher property values. Which would inflate the market and further increase the widening gap between wages and home costs, artificially creating a massive new lower class full of younger generations. There would be chaos on the streets, rule of law would break down and absolutely zero more indigenous coaches, making it totally pointless.

You get what I mean, right?

TP86

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hird walking into the Giants job with media and AFL seal of approval seems like a fitting time to bump this thread and topic. Of course the media won't dare bring it up when the incoming coach is one they approve of.

Maybe this narrative will conveniently get attached to Port's replacement for Ken or Gold Coast's replacement for Dew instead of what's going to happen at the Giants, an actual case of privilege and protecting the boys club.

BigPond101

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hird walking into the Giants job with media and AFL seal of approval seems like a fitting time to bump this thread and topic. Of course the media won't dare bring it up when the incoming coach is one they approve of.

Maybe this narrative will conveniently get attached to Port's replacement for Ken or Gold Coast's replacement for Dew instead of what's going to happen at the Giants, an actual case of privilege and protecting the boys club.

Isn't Hird like 1/8 Aboriginal or something like that ?

kriles76

Club Legend
Jul 16, 2003
37° 44′ 00″ S, 144° 51′ 59″ E
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Keilor Bowls Club

Do you have someone in mind who fits your criteria?

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I believe Melbourne should change their name forever and also make all their players change their name to an heritage indigenous name forever! Great concept

killtaker1993

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
A 'Rooney Rule' doesn't work, but I do think the AFL should ensure that the traditional owners of the land on which all games are played on, are acknowledged before the beginning of the game.

BigPond101

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Without generalising isn't it true that most Aboriginal players when they finish their careers want to return to their hometowns rather than stick around in miserable freezing Melbourne

They would be better role models and community leaders where they are from rather than another bloated pointless AFL assistant coach for however many years before applying for a head job

This might account for it somehwat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Great post by the OP.
This was a serious issue back in 2017.

Some definite progress since then ?
Neville Jetta and X Clarke for starters.

Great post by the OP.
This was a serious issue back in 2017.

Some definite progress since then ?
Neville Jetta and X Clarke for starters.
Eddie Betts too.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
Trouble is people usually think the "best person for the job" is someone like them.
Just human nature.
It's better than having a quota.

I've spent over 30 years in a public sector department where they now have a quota of 50% of managerial positions need to be filled by women. F'kn WHY??!!

If they're good enough fill 100% of the positions with women FFS. But let's not sit back and accept that a better candidate misses out because he's got a dick!!

No wonder the country is heading down the slippery slope.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
The AFL could perhaps put in some serious initiatives or programs to really encourage Indigenous players to look at coaching as a role for players post retirement? Hopefully over time if taken up there would be a good pool of candidates for coaching positions at various levels and it would happen naturally.

But forced quotes are always completely stupid.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
It's better than having a quota.

I've spent over 30 years in a public sector department where they now have a quota of 50% of managerial positions need to be filled by women. F'kn WHY??!!

If they're good enough fill 100% of the positions with women FFS. But let's not sit back and accept that a better candidate misses out because he's got a dick!!

No wonder the country is heading down the slippery slope.

Yep, somehow the country needs to claw its way back to the notion of the better person getting the job.

Last edited:

killtaker1993

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
If they're good enough fill 100% of the positions with women FFS.

ray-liotta-laughing.gif

RedBloodBlackSwan

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I think the Rooney rule is a very clever intervention. It does a few things, while still ensuring at each decision that the best candidate is hired.

It makes clubs think carefully about who is out there today who they should give a crack at interviewing. Even if the candidate is not ready today, the process can help the candidate work out what they need to work on and additional experience they need to gain. This helps address the systemic issues that mean Indigenous players have fewer opportunities to coach.

It also means that if clubs don’t want to embarrass themselves interviewing the same candidates over and over, they will put more effort into developing the talent and having more discussions with players who they may have previously assumed we’re not interested (potentially due to unconscious bias).

More importantly, I think the rule just makes people more open minded about who a good candidate could be. Having worked in an organisation that applied a rule, I found it very helpful to think creatively about the best candidate and sometimes landed on a great candidate who I initially wouldn’t have thought of.

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think this would be a great initiative ! Would love to see the same thing happen in parliament! Also would love to see an indigenous prime minister one day! Even better! A president and get rid of the United Kingdom monarchy !

Back