Autopsy Cats lose to Saints by 10 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I'd say best. He's running purely on willpower and his disposals now go anywhere, but at least you know it's not effort that's lacking it's just the body can't do it anymore.

What are you talking about? His ball use remains as solid as ever and he's been doing good work at the coalface all year.

Name one Geelong midfielder who has been at Selwood's level in 2022.

Last edited:
Not sure if I'd say best. He's running purely on willpower and his disposals now go anywhere, but at least you know it's not effort that's lacking it's just the body can't do it anymore.

When the intensity steps up, as it did in that 3rd quarter, he’s now exposed. He needs help but the others aren’t able to lift their games either. C.Guthrie and Parfitt were slaughtered as well. The midfield needs a rebuild.

The Cameron trade is a no brainer for 18 out of 18 clubs. He is on track for 60 goals for the year. The club is aiming to win the flag. It’s that simple.

It's not that simple at all, because the club won't win the flag this year, and I don't think Jeremy Cameron will be part of a Geelong premiership.

In fact I don't think there will be a Geelong premiership until the club changes course and starts genuinely investing in a more hungry, youthful demographic.
We could have had three AA U/18 calibre kids join the list last year; could be 25ish games into their careers at Geelong right now.

And while we do have a very good 2nd key forward, he won't be a Tom Hawkins replacement when Hawkins is gone; a player whom you can structure a forward line around.

I hope Cameron does kick 60 goals this year; he will entertain while doing so no doubt. Meanwhile clubs that have accepted the reality of their position are re-investing in a youthful core and will shortly pass us as they rise and we fall, too dependent on players who have already proven they are not up to finals scrutiny.

Disagree catempire ?
How come?
Do you think Cameron will be part of our next premiership side?
I'd have wanted to invest those picks at the draft.
2-3 classy kids in the same draft class might have gone some way to augmenting such a side.
I like Cameron a lot as a player, his finishing is elite and don't wish to denigrate him on a personal level.
And I understand the club had just competed in a GF the previous year.

But the writing has been on the wall that we need to replenish this list for a long time now and it was the perfect opportunity to kick start the process, and recent history shows that a losing Grand Final appearance is not the right of passage to a Premiership it once was.

So your response to us making a Grand Final in 2020 would have been...to just give up pre-emptively without even waiting to see any evidence that the team that made it to the final dance had declined and that they couldn't go one step further the next year? :drunk:

It's not that simple at all, because the club won't win the flag this year, and I don't think Jeremy Cameron will be part of a Geelong premiership.

In fact I don't think there will be a Geelong premiership until the club changes course and starts genuinely investing in a more hungry, youthful demographic.
We could have had three AA U/18 calibre kids join the list last year; could be 25ish games into their careers at Geelong right now.

And while we do have a very good 2nd key forward, he won't be a Tom Hawkins replacement when Hawkins is gone; a player whom you can structure a forward line around.

I hope Cameron does kick 60 goals this year; he will entertain while doing so no doubt. Meanwhile clubs that have accepted the reality of their position are re-investing in a youthful core and will shortly pass us as they rise and we fall, too dependent on players who have already proven they are not up to finals scrutiny.
The trade was made in 2020 CC. It doesn’t matter what your opinion of their 2022 flag chances are now. Any team in the club’s position in 2020 would have done the deal without blinking. Done it laughing. It was a no-brainer. Yes, that simple.

Miers and Zuthrie out next week for Bews and Stephens for starters I'm not sure Stanley will be right we might have a ruck change as well.
Bews second concussion, may be a few weeks, who knows.

I agree with most of this but we definitely overrate draft picks. The chances of multiple AAs from those picks would be ridiculously low.

I posted earlier about this...... I don't see Hawkins, Cameron, Rohan, Dahlhaus, Higgins, Stanley, Selwood, Danger, Duncan, Menegola, Touhy, Smith or Blitz in our next premiership.

Miers and Zuthrie out next week for Bews and Stephens for starters I'm not sure Stanley will be right we might have a ruck change as well.
Yeah nah.
Knevitt needs to go back to the two’s.

Miers and Knevitt for Stephens and Bews. Dahlhaus/Rohan sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you talking about? His ball use remains as solid as ever and he's been doing good work at the coalface all year.

Name one Geelong midfielder who has been at Selwood's level in 2022.
Thats the sad thing... A sad thing for our side, a 34 year old still shouldn't still be our best midfielder.... But he is

Disagree catempire ?
How come?
Do you think Cameron will be part of our next premiership side?
I'd have wanted to invest those picks at the draft.
2-3 classy kids in the same draft class might have gone some way to augmenting such a side.
I like Cameron a lot as a player, his finishing is elite and don't wish to denigrate him on a personal level.
And I understand the club had just competed in a GF the previous year.

But the writing has been on the wall that we need to replenish this list for a long time now and it was the perfect opportunity to kick start the process, and recent history shows that a losing Grand Final appearance is not the right of passage to a Premiership it once was.
Can we trust Wells to have used those Cameron picks to find classy kids?

Some of our players have no accountability and will to work hard enough without the ball.

When one of those players is your VC it's not hard to see why we fail in September.

And it was a massive error to play Knevitt ahead of Stephens. An ordinary player like Billings have him a bath.

Players that should be on thin ice ahead of next week - and who were quite poor.

Miers
Knevitt
O'Connor
Guthrie
Stanley
Parfitt

It's hard to win when a quarter of your side were horrid.
That is a lot of outs….not arguing the logic of outs…but where do the ins come from?

Our midfield has to be refreshed.
In truth, we will get beaten by most sides there.
We cannot base our team on past glories.

Parfitt's game was pathetic. He might get the ball but does stuff all with it.
The more youngsters they play the better.
Our old veterans will not be around for the rebuild.
I agree. But assume the club/MC will find it hard to “give up” on the chance to fluke a run in the finals? A 50/50 season will still get you into finals (and we should be better than that) so they will want to give it a shot with experience I reckon. So who knows whether Dempsey, Knevitt, Evans, Cooper will get many more looks unless Cats lose a few in a row (which i don’t think they will). I think 2023 might actually be the transition year we all think this year Should be. 2022 will be another ”last crack” despite the evidence

Early emotional takeaway is we're better off playing no ruck like last week + an extra midfielder than Rhys Stanley.

View attachment 1400014
Your takeaway is correct but misdirected.

Where is our Harry Taylor replacement? It's been literally years and we just elected not to

Utterly s**t.

Knevitt did a Dempsey. Went a bit quiet in his second game. Should’ve played Stephens.
2nd game blues is a long known saying for a reason - happens a lot, maybe saved Stephens from that “syndrome”. Also maybe need to play them 3 games! Just a random thought. The other random thought is that a lot of established players seem to have lots of quiet games?

2nd game blues is a long known saying for a reason - happens a lot, maybe saved Stephens from that “syndrome”. Also maybe need to play them 3 games! Just a random thought. The other random thought is that a lot of established players seem to have lots of quiet games?
Def not knevitt’s issue. Senior players shat the bed in 3rd qtr. should have played Cooper Over Knevitt.

I think we all agree we cannot match it with the top teams.
Time to refresh the side. We will loose more games but at least we can look to the furutre.
Trading out players will not give us a great return.

Play the youth with an eye to the future.

Are the old warriors on board for this.
Would some of them like to leave if this is the case.
Would players want to come to us with this in mind etc etc?
Also is our coach able to rebuild the team??

Lets look forward.
Agree. But balanced maybe with keeping the confidence up of the youth? And of course us old codgers in the forums then need to give the Dempseys and Knevitte’s (and others who have tough second games) a less critical assessment - can’t promise i have the emotional maturity to do that despite wanting to…

3 top draft picks for Cameron and he cant kick important goals. He is a star no doubt but we gave way to much for him.
Not sure where to from here but certainly not winning the premiership so need to be aggressive with getting young guys in the side.

3 top draft picks like we got for Kelly who we drafted using pick 24 from the GC which was part of the Ablett deal, who we picked up with the compensation pick for Motlop. Work it out that way and we got Cameron for the price of Motlop.

We did pay too much for him in the end but only because we got him a year too late. No flags for Geelong or Jeremy. He will be the winner in the end, he's on good coin, he's almost home and he gets to play in a footy state in a footy town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back