Prediction Round 9: Changes Vs Gold Coast + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Christ, calling it a danger game doesnā€™t mean I suffer from Freo trauma. I said we would destroy North.

And what is Freo trauma? Iā€™ve followed this club for 22 years, itā€™s not like we hold the record for most wooden spoons. We havenā€™t been Melbourne or Carlton s**t. The Drum years were fā€”cked but that was
short. So Iā€™m with Duffield, weā€™ve been a middling team for most of our history.

Iā€™m going to drink some tea.

We can beat Melbourne twice in a hone and away and still win finals.
We have already lost the proverbial game we had to lose. St kilda šŸ˜ƒ
Look I'm loving what we're doing, but until we have some evidence otherwise I'm not convinced we're on the same tier as Melbourne and Brisbane.

If we can get Fyfe and Tabs back for the Melbourne game then I'd like to think we'd give both of them a good run for their money.

The Carlton and Geelong games were very good, and I'm looking forward to the tests with more pressure and more offensive power, although Carlton certainly isn't bad in that area.

Agree with all the pseudo-psychologists on here. In reality we just expect to lose because weā€™re conditioned to it and itā€™s a nice bit of insurance for our feelings. Blah blah. Anyway, Iā€™m happy with the changes, I donā€™t mind making Walker earn it a bit and making Logue cherish each appearance. Amiss unlucky for mine (with Sonny out) and if itā€™s going to be pissing down, hopefully it doesnā€™t impact our speed / precision game. Theyā€™re my only thoughts.

Freo by 10 in a scrap.

If you want happiness insurance put 20 dollars against Freo every weekend.

Guaranteed happiness (unless we draw).

Or bet on us like Iā€™ve been doing and collect double happiness.

Havenā€™t worked out what happens if we lose and I lose cashā€¦ will cross that bridge when it comes up.

This is going to be a trickier game than most people on here think. Gold Coast are a much better side than north and WCE, and even the likes of Essendon.
They have had one of the toughest starts to the season in terms of the teams they have played and gave Carlton a solid trimming up there.
I expect our defence to handle them but we will need to win the midfield battle to keep the pressure off our back men as I feel our makeshift forward line is rather underwhelming.

Look I'm loving what we're doing, but until we have some evidence otherwise I'm not convinced we're on the same tier as Melbourne and Brisbane.

If we can get Fyfe and Tabs back for the Melbourne game then I'd like to think we'd give both of them a good run for their money.

The Carlton and Geelong games were very good, and I'm looking forward to the tests with more pressure and more offensive power, although Carlton certainly isn't bad in that area.

We'll beat Brisbane. I'm very confident of that. Melb not so much.

I use the $20 to buy a 6 pack worth of happiness each game instead.

I've tried the more cost effective version of buying a carton every month, but I can't be trusted not to kick on to celebrate after a win or drown my sorrows after a loss. And since the AFL always schedules us for Sundays that makes me hate life come Monday at work. I wish we played more Saturday night games.

I use the $20 to buy a 6 pack worth of happiness each game instead.

I've tried the more cost effective version of buying a carton every month, but I can't be trusted not to kick on to celebrate after a win or drown my sorrows after a loss. And since the AFL always schedules us for Sundays that makes me hate life come Monday at work. I wish we played more Saturday night games.
I empathise greatly with this post. The only times I've nervous bet against Freo I whacked $100 on Essendon at 3/4 time of the 2012 game and half time in 2013, both times paying $3. Both times I won $300. Both times that did not help my mood one bit.

Much rather have a few beers and celebrate/commiserate afterwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or bet on us like Iā€™ve been doing and collect double happiness.

Havenā€™t worked out what happens if we lose and I lose cashā€¦ will cross that bridge when it comes up.
For quadruple happiness, throw Freo win into a WC lose multi. Itā€™s now a line bet due to the odds but my happiness has been spilling into my bank account over the past 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Haha.
Last few weeks itā€™s been the same from some supporters. Iā€™ve maintained my belief throughout.

Essendon - ā€˜bogey side. We better turn up.ā€™
Result? We flogged them. I predicted 44 point win.

Carlton - ā€˜Wah wah Curnowā€¦ circle jerk McKay. Yada yada Cripps.ā€™
Result? We flogged them. I predicted 30+ point win.

Geelong - ā€˜Bigger bodies. Key players out. I sleep with the lights onā€™
Result? Nervy, yet had them buried win.
I predicted 16 point win.

North - ā€˜We canā€™t take them lightly! They have a decent midfieldā€™
Result? We flogged them.
I predicted 83 point win.

Gold Coast - ā€˜Theyā€™re actually not too bad. Metricon is a bogey stadium. My mum still packs my lunchesā€™
Result?
Mate, I'm dying laughing. I sleep with the lights on had me near pissing my pants :tearsofjoy: It's true though - but in people's defenses, I don't think they can help it. Been mentally scarred for 25+ years and I think few people realise just how close we are, even right now...I know irony only too well, but I'll reserve commentary until later. All I'll say is - if, IF we win the Premiership this year I will know why, but most people still won't accept it. Anyway, I'll play:

Collingwood - 'They've got Mason Cox! And he's big. And scary in those glow in the dark glasses!'

Yeah, you're right...I got nuttin :laughv1:

Also, you think people are nervous now wait until we get into our next GF! People will probably feel sick with the dread of it all, the poor b*rds

The difference will be in AA selection, this group looks outstanding and will easily
Spread the load. 2013 we had a few champions mixed in with foot soldiers.
Also game style, speed, Itā€™s like cloning S Hill off the chain.
I genuinely donā€™t know who will end up our next superstar, and there are more to
debut.
Weā€™ve now got 10 of them. Thatā€™s why it looks like we have none.

I wonder how we'll use Erasmus. He might get a role against one of their young mids (Rowell or Anderson).

Leaning slightly towards the Suns in this one. Think Miller is one of the best players in the competition and their wings in Weller and Ellis will work hard against ours.

They've got unusual key forwards in Chol and Casboult that are only average players but might be awkward match ups for our key backs and will give their other forwards a chance to compete.

It will probably be a half filled stadium which is not unusual for us in away games but I think maybe the lack of atmosphere might work against our attitude.

Haha.
Last few weeks itā€™s been the same from some supporters. Iā€™ve maintained my belief throughout.

Essendon - ā€˜bogey side. We better turn up.ā€™
Result? We flogged them. I predicted 44 point win.

Carlton - ā€˜Wah wah Curnowā€¦ circle jerk McKay. Yada yada Cripps.ā€™
Result? We flogged them. I predicted 30+ point win.

Geelong - ā€˜Bigger bodies. Key players out. I sleep with the lights onā€™
Result? Nervy, yet had them buried win.
I predicted 16 point win.

North - ā€˜We canā€™t take them lightly! They have a decent midfieldā€™
Result? We flogged them.
I predicted 83 point win.

Gold Coast - ā€˜Theyā€™re actually not too bad. Metricon is a bogey stadium. My mum still packs my lunchesā€™
Result?

Legit. I get the whole ā€œburned beforeā€ sentiment but I feel bad for people who canā€™t lean in to this season and enjoy the ride. Weā€™ll have some bumps in the road but the bus moves on. Enjoy it all!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Legit. I get the whole ā€œburned beforeā€ sentiment but I feel bad for people who canā€™t lean in to this season and enjoy the ride. Weā€™ll have some bumps in the road but the bus moves on. Enjoy it all!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I get all of the ā€˜donā€™t want to get my hopes upā€™ type posts. I genuinely do, but since when have we been smashing teams and having such a spread of contributors and youth everywhere? NEVER.

Iā€™m not blind to a loss. Gold Coast could win. No question. But if I had to bet my house? Iā€™m backing us 100% and not even thinking twice.

25 point win.

Bring it.

Im not worried that Fremantle will lose. However iam worried about the weather. We love the fast play style. This weather may not suit us :s

Im not worried that Fremantle will lose. However iam worried about the weather. We love the fast play style. This weather may not suit us :s

We can't expect perfect conditions each game. It's not like gc play in these conditions either. Will be a tough game but I'm expecting a win

Of course it wonā€™t suit us, but itā€™s not as if the rain is going to make Gold Coast peak Hawthorn.

If weā€™re conceding 60 points in ideal conditions whatā€™s GC going to score tomorrow?

Theyā€™ll be lucky to score 40

It's January 1st 2022.

You meet a time traveller in a bar. He tells you Freo will be 7-1 and youā€™ve beaten Geelong at home.

He tells you Fyfe hasnā€™t even played a game yet.

Round 9 youā€™re playing Gold Coast and itā€™s your first true test of the season.

You tell him to * off.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back