List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk Defender

Draftee
May 10, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i think its a smaller list than that, players who will fly the flag on our list seem to be

Jaeger O'Meara, did it in 2018 finals campaign and sometimes when the heat is on
Sam Frost, has stood up to some of the big units on behalf of fellow defenders
Blake Hardwick, stands up for himself
Daniel Howe, stands up for himself
DGB, showing some ability to fly the flag but needs to physically develop a bit more
Jai Newcombe, theres potential there, he doesnt mind a strong tackle or a strong bump, but has yet to hurt an opponent
Jackson Callow, has stood up for team mates at Box Hill

thats about it, not many that would fly the flag or push the culture back to the unsociable hawks that won the 2008 premiership.
With respect if Cmac has a little of his old man running through him he could well be the one to watch, I'm told could more than hold his own and then some, good local footballer who doesn't take kindly to being asked to step aside.
From what I've seen of Cmac I reckon it bubbles below the surface and a case of him showing restraint and discipline, maybe when he feels he belongs the ruthless streak will shine through

JOM has always had a far higher edge than I gave him credit for he became a Hawk, each time it gets a little niggly he is there abouts and more than happy to continue.
Kosi shows a bit of willingness and again I think he is trying to be disciplined rather than letting him self go.

Sometimes young footballers need to know they belong and are almost to scared of being undisciplined

Mar 24, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I love s**housery so I’m always keeping an eye on it in our games - today was a bit disappointing we didn’t try stand up to the many cheap shots from the Tiges

JOM and Frosty are prob the two older boys who fly the flag most

CJ gets into a bit of push and shove same with DGB

Day actually gees up often considering his size

Nash, Duke and Kosi all tackle to hurt

We can be a bit nice at times currently. It’s fair enough given we’ve got so many >20 gamers finding their feet - hoping we get a bit more naughty over time

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I actually think it's hard to be unsociable when you're losing frequently- I think that edge will come when we win more.

I'd say Dimma is also someone who goes into bat pretty regularly.

I'd say I can easily see all our youngsters bar Finn and Ward being comfortable to go in and fly the flag at the moment- Finn is beginning to lose his pretty-boy sheen and I think will become a real battler for us. Ward is still super raw and clearly getting used to the grade but I can see him becoming that way, too.

I think Tank, if he can work his way into the side, will become our greatest battler. If he has the tank to get through a 4-quarter effort, I can see him being the kind to run 60m just to get into a melee.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
JOM would’ve fitted in well with the unsociable Hawks.
He is very quick to go in to bat for his mate
I like it, but we do need more JOM types
JOM also reinventing himself as a HFF. Credit to him for taking on the change.

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fergus Greene would have to be on the Hawks radar as a mature pick up. Has a bit of Kris Barlow about him for those that are old like me . Has that awkward size about him with long arms and knows where the goals are.

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This. Would be hard to be shunted out of the centre square, but he's taken it on like a true leader. I want him as captain. Sic is too laconic for mine. Almost Stratts like.

Currently on our list for the way they play and lead Jai and Day are our emerging leaders .
Newk has everything we want in a leader and has been at the club for 5 minutes which is great but also a concern .

Sic for me is not the answer. Far too laconic with his actions. Sic needs to be free to roam .

Adrian Dodoro

Team Captain
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
DGB has white line fever. He's had to tone it down.
White line fever is bad and he has rightly toned it down. But possesing it in the first place means that he has willingness to put his body on the line for his club, for the 4 points, for the pride of his mates and himself.

This is good, you need this at a club. And when you're a rebuilding club that is going to lose a lot, you need a lot of it. Nice guys get down on themselves when they lose over and over again.

Hawk Defender

Draftee
May 10, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This. Would be hard to be shunted out of the centre square, but he's taken it on like a true leader. I want him as captain. Sic is too laconic for mine. Almost Stratts like.
I don't think enough credit has been given to the senior players accepting taking a step sideways to allow room for the next gen, JOM has probably been effected more than some but has never looked like he has dropped the head, far from it, I don't mind him on the HFF as a medium marking target more than a few times this season has had hit opponent beaten going for a mark only for Lewis, Kosi or Jack to float in.
This is great on 2 accounts if JOM had been given a clear go he would have probably snaffled it and increased his own standing but also held off an opponent that could have potentially impacted the contest and either stopped one of the big boys marking or worse case injured them.

Having players doing that for each other will only make the boys stronger as a unit.

I also think JOM kicking this has been better than in years previous, I'm not talking kicks under contested pressure that are often thrown on the boot and hoped more the ones with a little room he has some very nice weighted passes for clean shots on goal, gives the tall forward a great deal of confidence when the mids hit them up as first option than trying to further than possible

I don't think enough credit has been given to the senior players accepting taking a step sideways to allow room for the next gen, JOM has probably been effected more than some but has never looked like he has dropped the head, far from it, I don't mind him on the HFF as a medium marking target more than a few times this season has had hit opponent beaten going for a mark only for Lewis, Kosi or Jack to float in.
This is great on 2 accounts if JOM had been given a clear go he would have probably snaffled it and increased his own standing but also held off an opponent that could have potentially impacted the contest and either stopped one of the big boys marking or worse case injured them.

Having players doing that for each other will only make the boys stronger as a unit.

I also think JOM kicking this has been better than in years previous, I'm not talking kicks under contested pressure that are often thrown on the boot and hoped more the ones with a little room he has some very nice weighted passes for clean shots on goal, gives the tall forward a great deal of confidence when the mids hit them up as first option than trying to further than possible
I think JOMs career has suffered from being at a s**t club originally and only ever being played as a mid. He has had no real football education as a player. Part of this is due to injury and missing long periods of time which put a handbrake on his development
...and being the great midfield hope at a s**t club.

Saturday is the first time I have thought Jaegar is starting to show he may still have a fair bit of improvement left in his game. He looks to be benefiting from being required to play different roles. Becoming a more rounded player. There is no reason he can't improve and become a.topliner.

I still wish they would teach him to give a quick handball upon possession rather than try and fend.. it would change him into a far more dynamic player.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think JOMs career has suffered from being at a s**t club originally and only ever being played as a mid. He has had no real football education as a player. Part of this is due to injury and missing long periods of time which put a handbrake on his development
...and being the great midfield hope at a s**t club.

Saturday is the first time I have thought Jaegar is starting to show he may still have a fair bit of improvement left in his game. He looks to be benefiting from being required to play different roles. Becoming a more rounded player. There is no reason he can't improve and become a.topliner.

I still wish they would teach him to give a quick handball upon possession rather than try and fend.. it would change him into a far more dynamic player.
They coach him and Worpel to go the fend off.

hawks1998

Rookie
Sep 10, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hypothetically if Tom Mitchell was to leave at the end of next season as a free agent, is that looking like first found compensation or not based on his current form.

kenneje

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal

I remember Twomey describing Logue as a Josh Gibson 'regen' in his draft year, and as a result I wanted him at the Hawks.

Forgot about him until I watched the Suns v Freo game on the weekend. 29 disposals and 11 marks. Looked awesome. Definitely worth a look.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Such a strange time in our list management and development. Yes, we do need more midfield talent on our list, but currently there is a great unknown on the collection of Day, Newcombe, Ward, Macdonald and Maginness in particular. You could make a case for all of them stagnating around a C+/B- level or becoming genuine A graders individually and collectively. That's without considering the dynamics Nash and Wingard add (despite the age of the latter).

Does it come down to moving on at least 2 of O'Meara, Mitchell and Worpel and letting that first group build and grow together?

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Leadership:

i think Leadership going forward is important to identify, the Leaders need to have good traits like (Courage, Ferocity, Professional, Communicator, Positivity) they need to remind others of the coaches instructions and almost play the role of coach on field in their own area(mid/forw/def) what made Hodge a good leader is he was Courageous and would always lift in the big games, whether it was a rival game, a game to make the finals, a final, an away final or a grand final, he also loved a challenge and wasnt scared of the opponents coming back because it would give him an opportunity to prove himself again and he relished that opportunity, Sam Mitchell was also a good leader but more of a Communicator and was very professional, giving others a good example to follow in how to get the best out of their careers which i think he learned from Crawford to some extent, so trying to identify these traits in our list atm is the goal and heres who i think may have some of these abilities to be our captain from next year potentially?

Will Day - the 1st player i think of is Will, he is Courageous, always puts his body on the line without thinking about it, but is he too early in his career?, does he lack other traits like ferocity/professionalism/communication skills? he also seems to still be a bit lightly built and isnt at his ideal playing weight for his career and is developing as a player tactically and positionally as well, so other reasons it might be too early

James Sicily - he has Courage, can be Ferocious when he loses his cool, but has seemingly lost that edge recently, seems professional with his physical transformation being impressive, has improved with his communication skills, but has a long way to go there, i think he is ready and in pole position atm?

Jaeger O'Meara - has all 5 traits, which makes him good leadership material, you would go Jaeger if you were planning to then give it to Will once he is at the right stage in his career to accept the captaincy?

they are probably our best 3 leaders at the club for the future, working alongside McEvoy and Gunston, i also think others that could be in the leadership group going forward could be players like Scrimshaw, Newcombe, Moore and Ward in the near future potentially?, Scrimshaw is Courageous in how he plays and loves the club, Newcombe is a powerful presence and is a player others could follow into battle and Moore/Ward are super professional kids

Last edited:
Leadership:

i think Leadership going forward is important to identify, the Leaders need to have good traits like (Courage, Ferocity, Professional, Communicator, Positivity) they need to remind others of the coaches instructions and almost play the role of coach on field in their own area(mid/forw/def) what made Hodge a good leader is he was Courageous and would always lift in the big games, whether it was a rival game, a game to make the finals, a final, an away final or a grand final, he also loved a challenge and wasnt scared of the opponents coming back because it would give him an opportunity to prove himself again and he relished that opportunity, Sam Mitchell was also a good leader but more of a Communicator and was very professional, giving others a good example to follow in how to get the best out of their careers which i think he learned from Crawford to some extent, so tring to identify these traits in our list atm is the goal and heres who i think may have some of these abilities to be our captain from next year potentially?

Will Day - the 1st player i think of is Will, he is Courageous, always puts his body on the line without thinking about it, but is he too early in his career?, does he lack other traits like ferocity/professionalism/communication skills? he also seems to still be a bit lightly built and isnt at his ideal playing weight for his career and is developing as a player tactically and positionally as well, so other reasons it might be too early

James Sicily - he has Courage, can be Ferocious when he loses his cool, but has seemingly lost that edge recently, seems professional with his physical transformation being impressive, has improved with his communication skills, but has a long way to go there, i think he is ready and in pole position atm?

Jaeger O'Meara - has all 5 traits, which makes him good leadership material, you would go Jaeger if you were planning to then give it to Will once he is at the right stage in his career to accept the captaincy?

they are probably our best 3 leaders at the club for the future, working alongside McEvoy and Gunston, i also think others could be in the leadership group like Scrimshaw, Newcombe and Ward in the near future potentially?
Moore, Morrison and Lewis have clear leadership potential.

All three are quite vocal during training and game day, regarding set ups and plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back