Bendigo FL discussion 2022

GG Rides Again

All Australian
Apr 20, 2007
Intangible
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seems to me like everyone you talk to in club land agrees that there needs to be complete restructure of the game. Scrap all the existing leagues and form a three tier competition with promotion and relegation. Absolute silence on that from AFLCV though, I don't think they really care while they are still drawing enough money from clubs to get paid.

Interested in your thoughts on 3 tier competition? How do you see that happening? Is that location based for Central Vic or another way to be done?

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Interested in your thoughts on 3 tier competition? How do you see that happening? Is that location based for Central Vic or another way to be done?
Can't work because of juniors, how is having a three tier comp going to help kids play footy in Maine.

More kids will go to Bendigo and play.

Small towns like the whole family going and playing footy on the same day

RDFL blokey

Not in the RDFL anymore but won’t put the $20
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does the Bendigo league have a weekly podcast/radio spot like the Ballarat and EDFL have?

Forest St End

All Australian
Feb 3, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood

I think you'd just take all the clubs in the Bendigo, Heathcote, Loddon Valley and maybe North Central and form three leagues with the best, middle and bottom tier sides. You might even see some of the Maryborough Castlemaine clubs come over.

I'm not familiar enough with the leagues to know the specifics but I'd imagine the BFNL clubs would form the bulk of Div 1 with the best teams from the other leagues, which could well be an 8 team league.

Div 2 would be Castlemaine, Maryborough, Kangaroo Flat and the next level of clubs from the other leagues and division three would be the rest.

You might take only the premier and spoon up and down from 1 to 2 each year, and the top/bottom two or three in Div 2 and 3 up and down.

Obvious weaknesses are juniors and netball, juniors would have become part of the BJFL and match up games where possible or play Sundays and netball would have to match the footy which is far from ideal.

I'd get rid of reserves footy and have one lower grade of footy, an under 23 comp with a set amount of over age players allowed per game.

Needs a bit more thought and problems to solve everywhere but I think there's potential to create much more interesting footy

Can't work because of juniors, how is having a three tier comp going to help kids play footy in Maine.

More kids will go to Bendigo and play.

Small towns like the whole family going and playing footy on the same day

Castlemaine doesn't have that currently. The juniors play BJFL and either Saturday or Sunday but almost never at the same venue as senior footy.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Promotion and relegation isn’t the answer in my view. Teams who win the lower divisions and go up tend to lose a heap of players because they don’t want to go up to the next level..this means the team is uncompetitive in the higher grade and then the club drops straight back out. EDFL has countless examples of this.

There is no one single answer and unfortunately the reality is that clubs need to get creative and look at mergers or they will die

Forest St End

All Australian
Feb 3, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Promotion and relegation isn’t the answer in my view. Teams who win the lower divisions and go up tend to lose a heap of players because they don’t want to go up to the next level..this means the team is uncompetitive in the higher grade and then the club drops straight back out. EDFL has countless examples of this.

There is no one single answer and unfortunately the reality is that clubs need to get creative and look at mergers or they will die

I agree that the number of clubs needs to thin out regardless of any other measures taken.

As to the first point, I think that is where there needs to be more teeth in the clearance process. It's far too easy to move around now and the balance needs to shift back to the clubs a little. For example Jack Ginnivan is in the news at the moment, he played for three clubs in the same league and wasn't even 17. No-one would say that is healthy for footy.

I'd like to see players have to make a case for why they would like a clearance and it be considered on merit. Make it almost impossible to get a clearance in the same league and difficult in the same district.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree that the number of clubs needs to thin out regardless of any other measures taken.

As to the first point, I think that is where there needs to be more teeth in the clearance process. It's far too easy to move around now and the balance needs to shift back to the clubs a little. For example Jack Ginnivan is in the news at the moment, he played for three clubs in the same league and wasn't even 17. No-one would say that is healthy for footy.

I'd like to see players have to make a case for why they would like a clearance and it be considered on merit. Make it almost impossible to get a clearance in the same league and difficult in the same district.
It has been difficult to change clubs in league's, you gain an extra point.

The problem with Castlemaine kids, that go to the Catholic primary schools, they have to go either Bendigo or kyenton, where they probably play footy there as it's easier.

I think we'll see a big restructure for major league in the state, I think in the next 5-10 years there will be one league with a conference setup, north, east, west south and the top 4 of each go through to finals, with a state champ, conference champ and prize money, any club that doesn't compete plays in local community minor leagues. Maryborough, Castlemaine, north Albury, Shepp United, could play in a community league instead of getting smashed each week

GG Rides Again

All Australian
Apr 20, 2007
Intangible
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think you'd just take all the clubs in the Bendigo, Heathcote, Loddon Valley and maybe North Central and form three leagues with the best, middle and bottom tier sides. You might even see some of the Maryborough Castlemaine clubs come over.

I'm not familiar enough with the leagues to know the specifics but I'd imagine the BFNL clubs would form the bulk of Div 1 with the best teams from the other leagues, which could well be an 8 team league.

Div 2 would be Castlemaine, Maryborough, Kangaroo Flat and the next level of clubs from the other leagues and division three would be the rest.

You might take only the premier and spoon up and down from 1 to 2 each year, and the top/bottom two or three in Div 2 and 3 up and down.

Obvious weaknesses are juniors and netball, juniors would have become part of the BJFL and match up games where possible or play Sundays and netball would have to match the footy which is far from ideal.

I'd get rid of reserves footy and have one lower grade of footy, an under 23 comp with a set amount of over age players allowed per game.

Needs a bit more thought and problems to solve everywhere but I think there's potential to create much more interesting footy

Castlemaine doesn't have that currently. The juniors play BJFL and either Saturday or Sunday but almost never at the same venue as senior footy.

It has been difficult to change clubs in league's, you gain an extra point.

The problem with Castlemaine kids, that go to the Catholic primary schools, they have to go either Bendigo or kyenton, where they probably play footy there as it's easier.

I think we'll see a big restructure for major league in the state, I think in the next 5-10 years there will be one league with a conference setup, north, east, west south and the top 4 of each go through to finals, with a state champ, conference champ and prize money, any club that doesn't compete plays in local community minor leagues. Maryborough, Castlemaine, north Albury, Shepp United, could play in a community league instead of getting smashed each week
Don't believe that would work. Travel and time is the factors IMO of why not. Also you lose the tribal element of every club supporters passion for their team. How many supporters would jump in a car to watch Golden Square V Albury at Lavington ( North Conference)? Rivalries that have been built up over decades are lost and possibly never repaired. Good local rivalries are worth serious money to a club.
Kids participation is drastically dropping off and the numbers just aren't there. As per above, and unfortunately, the word rationalisation of clubs will begin sooner than later. If the choice for the kid or their parents is to play at club A because you live there, in some cases the choice will probably be to not play at all. Who wins?
I'd love to see some strategic discussion started by AFL CV or BFNL board on how to maintain a league with these issues arising. At some point Castlemaine and Maryborough say they cannot compete, and choose to leave the league. I'm not sure based on both clubs recent issues with juniors that they may be sustainable long term. At what point is this triggered? What is the boards position? Is there a fallback plan?

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't believe that would work. Travel and time is the factors IMO of why not. Also you lose the tribal element of every club supporters passion for their team. How many supporters would jump in a car to watch Golden Square V Albury at Lavington ( North Conference)? Rivalries that have been built up over decades are lost and possibly never repaired. Good local rivalries are worth serious money to a club.
Kids participation is drastically dropping off and the numbers just aren't there. As per above, and unfortunately, the word rationalisation of clubs will begin sooner than later. If the choice for the kid or their parents is to play at club A because you live there, in some cases the choice will probably be to not play at all. Who wins?
I'd love to see some strategic discussion started by AFL CV or BFNL board on how to maintain a league with these issues arising. At some point Castlemaine and Maryborough say they cannot compete, and choose to leave the league. I'm not sure based on both clubs recent issues with juniors that they may be sustainable long term. At what point is this triggered? What is the boards position? Is there a fallback plan?
Yep I just think that's where it's heading, clubs would enter the state wide comp each year, depending on how they are shaping up. We already have players travelling far and wide to play. Surely Albury v golden square would get more to a game than Maryborough v square or Albury v north Albury.

Don't they do it in basketball now, the braves play across the state, Shepparton gators, Albury bandits, I think the travel factor would occur come finals time.
You could also dangle that the gf would be played on the g as a pregame for the AFL Grand final

Post padding

Premiership Player
Nov 15, 2009
echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep I just think that's where it's heading, clubs would enter the state wide comp each year, depending on how they are shaping up. We already have players travelling far and wide to play. Surely Albury v golden square would get more to a game than Maryborough v square or Albury v north Albury.

Don't they do it in basketball now, the braves play across the state, Shepparton gators, Albury bandits, I think the travel factor would occur come finals time.
You could also dangle that the gf would be played on the g as a pregame for the AFL Grand final

Basketball do it. And quite often play to crowds of under 100.
The comp is good for players. Got bugger support from crowd.
No Bendigo Fans jump in the car to Wodonga to cheer on their team

GG Rides Again

All Australian
Apr 20, 2007
Intangible
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Honestly not sure how successful Maryborough or Castlemaine would be in the CHFL - they’d likely be mid-tier.
That would make them competitive in that league. In any league a team must finish on the bottom of the ladder. Its just the repetitive nature of what is happening in BFNL that is of concern.
Personally I am very confident that the salary cap and points system is killing off country footy.
You should be able to attract the BEST talent you can get to your club, which also helps with retaining juniors who want to play senior footy with these blokes. Stephen Milne was a great example of this scenario working and only heard how good he was for the club. What did it cost? Who cares. Points he played with? Irrelevant.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
That would make them competitive in that league. In any league a team must finish on the bottom of the ladder. Its just the repetitive nature of what is happening in BFNL that is of concern.
Personally I am very confident that the salary cap and points system is killing off country footy.
You should be able to attract the BEST talent you can get to your club, which also helps with retaining juniors who want to play senior footy with these blokes. Stephen Milne was a great example of this scenario working and only heard how good he was for the club. What did it cost? Who cares. Points he played with? Irrelevant.
The whole reason there was a points system and salary cap was because metro league's could offer so much more, hardly any AFL players were coming to the country to play, look at the O and m now, it's probably the best league in the state, you couldn't say the 6 years ago.

There was also a trend where a coach would be appointed and he'd bring 10+ guys from the same club and that group would change clubs each year. Castlemaine and Maryborough were never going to attract big names before the points and salary. That attitude is late 80s and 90s country footy mentality, not what it was just before the points system came in, where you'd have players making clubs bid against each other to get a higher price

Forest St End

All Australian
Feb 3, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Having watched Gisborne and Strath in successive weeks I’d be surprised if this week’s margin is less than 8-10 goals in favour of the Dogs.

Forest St End

All Australian
Feb 3, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Having watched Gisborne and Strath in successive weeks I’d be surprised if this week’s margin is less than 8-10 goals in favour of the Dogs.

Well Strath proved me wrong, although my tip was before McKenna was out.

Pretty disappointing result for Castlemaine, for me it was the worst they have played all year, even including the Gisborne game. Having Henderson available or not basically makes the difference in being competitive or not. Without him Kangaroo Flat will be a much tougher prospect this week.

Back on the off-field stuff, heard an interesting rumour that there is a bit of club descension with the hub model starting to rumble. Lot of clubs unhappy with playhq and many other aspects of AFL Vic governance and apparently at least 6 clubs from the BFL recently held a rebel meeting to discuss the way forward.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda

Pretty disappointing result for Castlemaine, for me it was the worst they have played all year, even including the Gisborne game. Having Henderson available or not basically makes the difference in being competitive or not. Without him Kangaroo Flat will be a much tougher prospect this week.

Back on the off-field stuff, heard an interesting rumour that there is a bit of club descension with the hub model starting to rumble. Lot of clubs unhappy with playhq and many other aspects of AFL Vic governance and apparently at least 6 clubs from the BFL recently held a rebel meeting to discuss the way forward.

Must have been a cracking game…strath with plenty out and Sharpy off early also.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong

I think clubs can see the problems, yet there's no leadership from above, just keep the status quo from AFL Vic, they are treating community footy like your dancing with your sister

Humphrey BB

All Australian
Aug 29, 2016
Port Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Black Ducks, Leedy Lions
Is it an upset though ? Kyneton are pretty strong at there home games , looks like that Manuel is a serious player , can anyone tell me if his kicking all these goals through the midfield?
Yeah against Gisborne his four were running through the 50 when in the midfield. He’s more a mid than fwd. hard runner.
Omho the Kyneton win is an upset, I’d imagine Square would be dirty to drop that one.

bevsDoggies

Debutant
Sep 6, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Manuel is a gun and so is the guy Bartrop from the game i saw against strath a few weeks ago

Travelled down the Calder Yesterday as I assumed the Kyneton v Golden Square game was going to be much more competitive than my boys against South

I think I’ve said it before you would struggle to find a club in Victoria who gets crowds the size of what Kyneton do regularly at The Showgrounds. There were people everywhere yesterday and that crowd noise in front of the Grandstand in that last quarter was deafening!

The game was very entertaining to say the least. I really believe that can set Kyneton up for the year now.

Speaking to a couple of the locals, Kyneton had 6 out yesterday and 3 or 4 who shouldn’t have been playing due to being bed ridden all week with the flu, but with how Depleted they were already pushed through, so the bye couldn’t come at a better time for them.

Ben Cameron is an absolute star and nearly single handly won them the game in the last quarter as a 17 year old.

Cam Manual goal in 3rd quarter is as good as you will see. Gee he will be scary when he gets back to full fitness.

If Kyneton keep winning and being competitive, the club might need to look at a second grandstand.

Great for the league to have a competitive Kyneton side in my opinion

Back