Opinion What is your favourite goal of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

In an era where forwards were positioned in the forward line even when their own team was kicking out after a behind. Was so easy to exit your back half in those days.
Haven't seen that clip for ages - thanks for posting.
Especially in the last quarter as with that clip when all players were stuffed because there was very little rotations off the bench.

Love this one. What's so great about it is that it would be a great goal if he slotted it from 50, but then he goes for that one more baulk which just takes it to another level.
Bloody robertson ruining the commentary of another great play with terrible commentary. Why the hell is he talking about Manassa as McGuane is kicking a superior goal.

He ruined abletts mark over pert and he ruined McGuanes goal of the century.

Bloody robertson ruining the commentary of another great play with terrible commentary. Why the hell is he talking about Manassa as McGuane is kicking a superior goal.

He ruined abletts mark over pert and he ruined McGuanes goal of the century.
He also ruined a few good marks by smugly saying "mark of the year". A Modra one in particular instead of being in the moment and enjoying it.

But yeah f off with your Manassa s**t.

Robbo was a s**t commentator.

That other match-winning torp - James Polkinghorne. Extra points for kicking on the run and putting it through on the full.

Fred Stafford's left foot snap in the last 30 seconds of the 1947 Grand Final to beat Essendon by 1 point.

I don't think there's video of it, and it happened over 30 years before I was born, but how could you possibly beat that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Franklins 7th vs Adelaide in the 2007 Elim

Also Buddy’s 2 goals on the run vs the Bombers

Eddie Betts GOTY (I think), the inside-out torp off his wrong foot from the boundary 50m out. This, for me, is the most ridiculous, audacious single execution of skill ive ever seen

Dermie pushing the trainers away and grabbing the ball after getting shitmixed at the opening bounce was a memorable 1

The 1 I threw a boot at that somehow wobbled through to win us the u/16’s flag was a ripper and still talked about today ( mostly by me )

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Ok so the first that always jumps to mind is Peter Matera in the 92 GF - but he actually kicks 4 of the best goals you’ll ever see in that game (and a cheeky Joe The Goose in the 4th) - absolutely brilliant.

Next would be Peter Matera again - vs Sydney in Round 1, 1997 - first game under lights at Subi, tight in the pocket, spun around, absolutely brilliant.

Next is Mr C.Judd - goal of the year 2005 - just pure PRIME JUDD - bursting through the pack at top speed, has a bounce and nailing the goal. Glorious.

Nic Naitanui vs GWS in 2016 - winning the game with 2 seconds on the clock. Roving his own ruck tap and snapping a beauty. Pretty much NN at his finest.

aaaand Dom Sheed 2018 GF.

Thank you for this opportunity to reminisce, I have been having each game surgically removed from my brain since Round 4 2022, so it was nice to use my memory again.

Was sitting behind the goals, had the perfect view of it.

I always loved this goal as well - it’s just so different to almost any other goal before or since!

Plus I was there as well to watch it live which makes it more memorable.

That boundary line soccer goal by Daicos against Geelong at Waverley is still beautiful to watch.
The way all supporters stood up out of their seat and the nonchalant ease.
Love Bernie Quinlan's special comments "Oh No!"

Ablett 89 goal against collingwood. "This is the magician at work"

travis varcoe 2011 grand final goal

mick mcguane 6 bounce goal

ablett 89 prelim goal where he fakes out the essendon player. Other players have done it. None with the same style gazza did.

The Ablett one against Collingwood is my number one. You had to be there to appreciate it.

Otherwise, a variety of different Ablett senior ones:

• 1989 Prelim when he ran around Hamilton on the mark (mentioned above)
  • 1989 Prelim when he kicked it from 55 on the boundary line on the run
  • 1992 Qualifying Final v Footscray when he kicked it 60m left foot on the run
  • 1985 versus North, an absolutely insane torpedo off one step that travelled 70 metres (at least, to me it's one of the greatest goals ever kicked that most people don't even know about)
For a team goal, can't go past Chappy's in the last quarter of the 2009 Grand final. Again, you really had to feel the crowd noise at ground level for that one.

Last edited:
I love those epic long-running goals from defensive 50. This vid has Farmer & Wills on the same weekend. I was crazy about Jeff Farmer back then and this goal was an example of that.

Last edited:
I love those epic long-running goals from defensive 50. This vid has Farmer & Wills on the same weekend. I was crazy about Jeff Farmer back then and this goal was an example of that.

man I totally forgot about this goal. what a beauty

Has to be Gary Ablett Senior bouncing through the middle and bombing a goal form 50 plus against Essendon close second is Andrew Wills left foot snap from the left hand pocket at the WACA one cold night many moons ago loved it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back