Review 2022 Mid Season Draft - Wednesday June 1 @ 6.30pm

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
He has time yet to really develop as many bigger guys do. My main concern however is who is actually mentoring. Nic is not the man to be mentoring him IMHO, unpopular perhaps but my belief. Nic is very unique, with particular genetic strengths but also some real limitations that his unique genetics have helped to cover. In some ways Bailey has some similar traits but he needs some real guidance in areas Nic still to this day has never really had to fully develop. We have gone from at one point having both Longmuir and Cox mentoring Nic in official paid roles, to effectively having no-one other than some pretty unofficial assistance. I see Bailey struggling in similar areas to Nick, positioning around the ground, early body contact and positioning in marking contests that Nick has never developed due to relying on innate physical genetic characteristics (which have still seen him struggle in marking areas regardless) and more that requires a real Ruck coach. Bailey can't do a Nic and have these areas somewhat overlooked due to being outweighed by his unique genetic brilliance in other areas. He needs a real paid Ruck coach and considering where we are at overall in this area, it's a glaring department weakness. If Nic continues to insist on tapping to himself so often and making himself an extra midfielder, with coach support, whilst mentoring other rucks and mids in that regard all whilst failing in other very important areas he has always been weak in, it spells trouble for Ruck development.
West Coast don't have a ruck coach on staff?

Goosecat

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2006
Mandurah
AFL Club
West Coast
West Coast don't have a ruck coach on staff?
There is assistance being given, but no full time Ruck coach no. That's not entirely out of the ordinary, some do, some don't. My concern however is individuals within the department confusing Nics unique genetic abilities with being a good Ruck coach.

Last edited:

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Anyone else watching the WAFL vs SANFL game?

Casey Voss, Josh Carmichael and Mitch O'Neill should clearly be picked up. They were just so classy in that half.

Coomblas, Ballenden and Williams look good too.

Not sure who I would take from WA.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I just finished the first half of the Carlton v Fitzroy Cubs game. Experienced state leaguers/ex-AFL players like Reuben William, Kym Le Bois, Bior Malual and Nigel Lockyer were all solid. Ariek Lual, Werribee VFL player has played well. Blayne O'Loughlin, Isaiah Dudley and Fitzroy Greenwool have all shown some flashes. 19 year old VAFA player Leon Alao who trained with the Sandringham VFL side over pre season has done some really classy things, I can see him getting a VFL chance next year, has some AFL attributes. Basketball convert Akol Deng who is also on Werribee's VFL list has taken some strong marks.

The player who has shown the most AFL traits in my opinion is Emmanuel Ajang, another Werribee VFL player. He is freakish athletically and kicked a couple goals.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just I couldn't see it down as a VFL game today on the VFL app is all.
Oh thats alright. See link - Inaugural Fitzroy Cubs squad announced

It is a one off showcase game against Carlton's VFL side. It is to showcase Indigenous/culturally diverse players primarily aged 19-23 years old from around the country in the lead up to the Mid Season Draft. They played in the Indigenous Fitzroy jumper named the "Fitzroy Cubs". The team was stacked with Sudanese players from Werribee's VFL side including, William, Malual, Lual, Ajang and Deng.

Just I couldn't see it down as a VFL game today on the VFL app is all.
It’s not VFL, VFL has a bye this weekend.

Fitzroy Cubs is a squad they’ve put together ahead of the MSD for 18-23 state leaguers who fit certain other criteria like culturally and linguistically diverse, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander or Bris/Fitz father-sons.

One of the opportunities to showcase their skills against men was this game against Carlton’s VFL side.

Merging with MSD thread lionshine since there was some discussion about it here the other day, and it’s primarily aimed at recruiting for the MSD.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It’s not VFL, VFL has a bye this weekend.

Fitzroy Cubs is a squad they’ve put together ahead of the MSD for 18-23 state leaguers who fit certain other criteria like culturally and linguistically diverse, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander or Bris/Fitz father-sons.

One of the opportunities to showcase their skills against men was this game against Carlton’s VFL side.

Merging with MSD thread lionshine since there was some discussion about it here the other day, and it’s primarily aimed at recruiting for the MSD.
Yep no worries, sorry mate should have posted in here in the first place.

Yep no worries, sorry mate should have posted in here in the first place.
We do have some game threads for champs and Colgate Young Guns series so it’s not super obvious 😅 pretty much just depends on traffic at the moment whether a separate thread is warranted.

Last edited:
Back