Review Freo Drowned in GC by Suns - Rd 9 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching rankine today just makes the henry pick look even more dissapointing than it already was (am i doing it right?)
Good one Liam šŸ‘

-16 clearances
- 27 contested possessions
-6 contested marks

But people wanna pot shot Banfield or question why Walker didn't play? Amazes me how people always wanna go after the soft targets.

How did Brayshaw, Serong, Mundy and Pearce go? You know, our leaders? All were s**t, pot shot them, they didn't fire a single shot all game, Banfield isn't why we loss and it sure as f**k wasn't because Walker didn't start

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disappointingly we just had a completely different style. We hand balled backwards which invites pressure. Iā€™ve loved our handballing forwards to create speed.

We rarely looked inside.

We had no run out of defense.

Was it rain, opposition set up, team changes unbalanced?

We need to go back to team structure NUMBER 1.

-16 clearances
-6 contested marks

But people wanna pot shot Banfield or question why Walker didn't play? Amazes me how people always wanna go after the soft targets.

How did Brayshaw, Serong, Mundy and Pearce go? You know, our leaders? All were s**t, pot shot them, they didn't fire a single shot all game, Banfield isn't why we loss and it sure as f**k wasn't because Walker didn't start

Banfield has built a reputation on scoring cheap goals against rubbish sides.
Iā€™d love a stat on how many goals heā€™s scored against top 8 sides, or how many goals heā€™s scored when we are trailing on the scoreboard in a game.
Heā€™s not the reason we lost today, far from it.
But if he takes to the field against Melbourne or brisbane it will be a very long day for us supporters.

Thought Brodie could hold his head high. Another consistent effort on a day he didn't have many mates with him.

-16 clearances
-6 contested marks

It was 100% a team wide effort and it seems ridiculous to pin it on one or two players.

The silver lining is that Brayshaw, Serong, Young etc are still at a stage where games like today can contribute to their development.

After starting the game well we got forced wide with our entries and I think for most of the game our entries inside 50m were long high kicks and around the boundary. The attempts to cut back through the midfield and redirect into the forward 50 via the corridor were hampered by the conditions and we used up an extra couple of seconds to retrieve a mishandled ball or misdirected disposal. But we were beaten in the contest around the ball to start with and also we might have had a extra player behind the ball giving Suns and extra around the ball.

Disappointingly we just had a completely different style. We hand balled backwards which invites pressure. Iā€™ve loved our handballing forwards to create speed.

We rarely looked inside.

We had no run out of defense.

Was it rain, opposition set up, team changes unbalanced?

We need to go back to team structure NUMBER 1.
When it rains like that handballing based game plans should go out the window. We have see it over and over again.
Just gain territory by any and all means.
Suns werenā€™t even trying to mark the ball in the D50 most of the time. Just double handed punches to safety.
Our complete lack of forward craft meant that loads of stoppages in their D50 provided zero danger for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people are going a bit overboard. We weren't "smashed" all around the ground. We had more than our fair share of opportunities. The problem is that we butchered 95% of those opportunities. Our forward line this week is one of the weakest I've seen for a long time at AFL level.

Meanwhile Chol and Rankine had the best games of their careers in the Suns' forward line, and that was the difference between the teams.

When it rains like that handballing based game plans should go out the window. We have see it over and over again.
Just gain territory by any and all means.
Suns werenā€™t even trying to mark the ball in the D50 most of the time. Just double handed punches to safety.
Our complete lack of forward craft meant that loads of stoppages in their D50 provided zero danger for them.
Iā€™m not disagreeing. Get it in quickly, bring it to ground, lock it in and grind. Not hard.

Problem was we couldnā€™t for the life of us compete in the air up forward. The spoils were 20-25m spoils.

Plus credit to GC to pressure us backwards.

All of that said, that simply wasnā€™t our brand.

Rain and high humidity and long travel make for s**t conditions. Not to concerned about the loss but the forward line needs serious work. Treacy . Banfield and Frederick are not working at the minute.
Treacy and Frederick need time and Banfield will help Peel play finals.
Is my thinking as well. Disappointing that the team didnā€™t adjust but those conditions are about a foreign as they get for WA teams. Good teams will adjust and weā€™re not there yet. We fumbled and put ourselves under pressure (didnā€™t manage the slippery humid and wet conditions).

Iā€™d like to see Sturt playing but only if he is reaching his markers.

A smaller forward line-up might have helped. In the first quarter we had 19 i50 and just bombed it on the head of Lobb. We needed to think through the forward movement and i50ā€™s much better than we did. Tossing the ball around backwards sideways and then bombing it long. By the time we were bombing there were heaps of GC defenders.

There has to be a better option than Banfield. He panics and generally makes poor i50 decisions - everything he does is rushed. He gets to the right spot but that is about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back