gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I believe really poor sides should get some sort of extra assistance, with Carlton being in a similar situation a lot of the last 10 years and continually being denied a priority pick I am going to say no. I'm not against priority picks, I think they help teams rebuild however if others can't have it why bring it back now, not really fair.

Here is what I believe should be the alternative for teams that are extremely poor and in a rebuilding phase. All free agents become unrestricted free agents. Would help get some players in for no cost who would have an immediate impact.

Another alternative is an early priority draft pick (Pick 10 for example) that must be traded.

IMO if the priority pick comes back it should come in after pick 10.

Full rebuilds take too long and teams can be too poor for too long.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
That will be 3 priority picks thanks

You don't want to see clubs who have previously had PP's 15 years ago get them again, but are happy to put your hand out for three in one hit?

North don't need anymore Phillips and LDU's. They need experience and a big investment in development. They also need to shake the victim mentality.

You don't want to see clubs who have previously had PP's 15 years ago get them again, but are happy to put your hand out for three in one hit?

North don't need anymore Phillips and LDU's. They need experience and a big investment in development. They also need to shake the victim mentality.
Well that’s what GC got
And many clubs like yours have had multiple over the journey

May as well go multiple for us now and never again

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
The going rate is :
Access to 2 mature age state league players.
Enjoy …

If they don't win any more games this year (which is a possibility) they will get something more than that.

How many North players out there today would get a game with Melbourne?

Larkey, maybe LDU ?

Their talent cupboard is pretty barren

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
If they don't win any more games this year (which is a possibility) they will get something more than that.

How many North players out there today would get a game with Melbourne?

Larkey, maybe LDU ?

Their talent cupboard is pretty barren

They’re not even last on the ladder.
Someone has to finish last every year.
They continued to top up for far too long.
Their current situation is of their own making.
They have plenty of young talent on the list, they just need to roll up their sleeves and get on with the job.
A good starting point would be the coach.
Their last 2 appointments … well …
Get your act together north …

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I don’t think an end of first round pick is enough, but I think giving them pick 1 is too much, given their demise is mostly self inflicted by poor list management decisions

A mid-first round priority pick in between the picks given to 8th who plays finals and 9th who doesn’t, is in my opinion a reasonable handout to this team that needs assistance.

madjoe

Team Captain
Mar 6, 2022
AFL Club
Gold Coast
you would say having Access to 2 mature age state league players is bare min but the roos cut atley for hayden, p walker, ex crows player to coach so its really hard to feel to sorry for them.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
you would say having Access to 2 mature age state league players is bare min but the roos cut atley for hayden, p walker, ex crows player to coach so its really hard to feel to sorry for them.

Atley isn't really the hard case here, he was offered the rookie spot we used on Tom Lynch but had lost his love of the game. Is flipping between the bush and Sweden at the moment.

Vfl team belted by 110 points today. Second time this year. We are in trouble.

Probably the least of our worries at the moment. Against the seconds of the best team in the league we had 5 listed AFL players - Goater, Walker, Archer, McGuinness and Lazzaro, none in any real danger of playing seniors. It does show how the injury list has affected our depth though, we can't even get play into a lot of our kids at the lower level.

Last edited:

madjoe

Team Captain
Mar 6, 2022
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Probably the least of our worries at the moment. Against the seconds of the best team in the league we had 5 listed AFL players - Goater, Walker, Archer, McGuinness and Lazzaro, none in any real danger of playing seniors. It does show how the injury list has affected our depth though, we can't even get play into a lot of our kids at the lower level.

the list has so many what's the word long term projects? mcguinness, edwards, archer, thomas, phillips (covid) spicer, the list and depth has fallen off a cliff

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
the list has so many what's the word long term projects? mcguinness, edwards, archer, thomas, phillips (covid) spicer, the list and depth has fallen off a cliff

McGuinness is a Cat B so not really a stress, the rest are in their second year on the list (Archer and technically Edwards their first). To be honest not seeing much of a drama with any of them. The real shame is the last two, Phillips has lost the year so far (and probably the rest the way it's looking) with glandular fever and Spicer just back in training from a bad run with hamstring injury. It is s**t depth I agree though, it's hard to look for answers with only five kids playing reserves.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stick to complaining about how hard done by Collingwood is.
If I’m not mistaken, it’s you guys who are complaining. You can’t cope in the big league and expect a handout. In the end, it’s all your club’s doing.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
If I’m not mistaken, it’s you guys who are complaining. You can’t cope in the big league and expect a handout. In the end, it’s all your club’s doing.

Yet Collingwood have received a Priority Pick in the past, and North haven't.

You also have significant on and field benefits North never has or never will (like many marquee fixtures, esp on prime time TV even if not warranted on field)

I don't think North fans are whining, but I do believe they are entitled to feel hard done by (and not just about the Priority Pick issue either)

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams

Can't everyone complain equally?

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
We and GC got priorities when we were both rubbish and fail to see why North cannot get the same assistance.

A pick between 10 and 15 (and maybe a pick) seems reasonable in comparison.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
No PP, current situation is of their own making and a long injury list.

AFL will give overs compo when Tarryn Thomas gets recruited by Tasmania, like they did with Scully to GWS

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Collingwood played Grand finals in 02 and 03. In 2005, they lost the last eight games of the year to just scrape in for a PP, which was given as pick 2.

tank GIF

But apparently we're the bad guys....

We and GC got priorities when we were both rubbish and fail to see why North cannot get the same assistance.

A pick between 10 and 15 (and maybe a pick) seems reasonable in comparison.
I reckon on top of that a couple of extra rookie spots would be worthwhile also but can’t be used on 18 year olds

Aug 25, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
North are absolutely stacked for young talent (especially midfield).
Horne-Francis, LDU, Simpkin, Scott, McKay, Powell, Curtis, Thomas, Bergman, Phillips, Goater, Lazzarro etc. That’s an impressive bunch.

The trouble is that they have a few average pieces/list fillers around them. Guys like Turner, Bonar, Bosenavulagi, Mahoney and some others I can’t think of off the top of my head.

The list will be fine. It’s just a young team early in a rebuild going through pain. Other teams have been in their position and come out the other side. Sucks to hear and it’s tough to take if you’re a North supporter right now, but it will turn.

To the person who said they don’t deserve a priority pick because they are where they are because of their own doing... true, but it’s a bad look for the competition to have uncompetitive teams regardless of why they are where they are. More young talent isn’t what they need though. They just need more time to develop (and more pain). That’s the secret sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back