Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are people's crowd predictions for the North vs Port game in Hobart today?.... I think it will be around the 2500 mark.

AFL don't care about recent crowd numbers. They see the junior participants numbers going up.

AFL don't mind sun's pulling 10-15,000 people per home game.

Had the sun's had as much finals success as GWS in the last 10 years, they would easily average 20,000 people a game.

Sadly gold coast has been poorly run.

Go look at Brisbane's crowd numbers back in 1992-94. Compare that to 1995 when they made finals. Then compare that to 1996 when they won 2 finals and made a preliminary final.
That’s not what he said has participation gone up yes are the suns financially viable not even close to being everyone knows this the afl just won’t admit they got it wrong they don’t call it a sporting graveyard for nothing!

I actually think gold coast might be ok once they have some success. If they win a flag they'll get a lot of followers if they can be the first gold coast team to achieve any success.
I think they are many millions of bucks and many years away from winning a flag. Not unless the AFL compromise the comp so they win it

Crowd of 5114 for the North vs Port gamein Hobart today, probably reasonable all things considered.
If you look at crowds in % of population, it can be quite interesting. 5k is 2% of Hobart's population. 2% of Melbourne's 4 million is 80k. So in effect we had the same turn out as a game drawing 80k in Melbourne. I know this analysis isn't perfect, but what would the same game draw in Melbourne? 20k? I agree, 5k is actually a pretty good turnout.

If you look at crowds in % of population, it can be quite interesting. 5k is 2% of Hobart's population. 2% of Melbourne's 4 million is 80k. So in effect we had the same turn out as a game drawing 80k in Melbourne. I know this analysis isn't perfect, but what would the same game draw in Melbourne? 20k? I agree, 5k is actually a pretty good turnout.
I agree with you but still believe the government will walk away from this deal at seasons end because they want to see tourists visiting for games and i don't think to many of those supporters today are interstate supporters.

To be honest I have never been to Tasmania. Haven't been to ACT, NT or Queensland.

I live in SA. I have been to WA, Victoria and NSW.

What about you? Have you been to Tassie?

Just driven from Orford (down the road from Nick Riewoldt's 'shack') home to my abode in South Hobart, so yep have been to Tassie. My daughter lives in Melbourne for uni so frequently go over and watch a bit of footy, have been to WA, SA, NSW, Queensland, ACT all mainly for work.

But very very happy to be living in Tasmania.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that there's apathy towards North, but it's poor timing to get low crowds. Hobartians(?) need to rock up now more than ever.

Tasmanians are so close now to getting that team, they have to show there's no reason to doubt their ability, that they'll support a team through thick and thin. I already know an actual home team will be better supported (believe me), but they're not there just yet.

I know the Hawks are a more attractive offer, but Launceston is holding up their end well.

Just driven from Orford (down the road from Nick Riewoldt's 'shack') home to my abode in South Hobart, so yep have been to Tassie. My daughter lives in Melbourne for uni so frequently go over and watch a bit of footy, have been to WA, SA, NSW, Queensland, ACT all mainly for work.

But very very happy to be living in Tasmania.
Well I have never been to Tassie, but I already said that.

I am not descriminating other cities nor states.

I will say this though. I won't comment on NSW as I was Only there for 24 hours on a stopover for an overseas flight. I will be specific to Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne.

Adelaide and Perth are similar. Both have similar public rail system's.
Both of them only have 4 main train lines.

Melbourne I can comment. Sure the housing prices are steeper than most states. But there's many rail lines. Not surprisingly as there are at least 6-7 million people in Victoria.

Considering where most of the major stadiums are in the Melbourne CBD, of course all the rail lines lead to the city.

Also it depends on your view too. You live in Tassie but occasionally go to Victoria to see footy. Fair enough.

I live in SA. If I want to see AFL, I occasionally go to games at Adelaide oval. I also go to a fair bit of SANFL games as most SANFL grounds are near the train stations too.

Pleased you get to SANFL games - good standard. I get along to some local Statewide footy as my son plays for a junior club that supports their seniors.

Not sure of the point you are trying to make, do you think Tasmania can sustain an AFL team or not?

I passionately believe that whatever happens the Tasmanian government should stop funding Nth Melb and Hawthorn and in the short term demand all clubs play down here while the contract finishes not just Port, GWS, GCS etc

I get that there's apathy towards North, but it's poor timing to get low crowds. Hobartians(?) need to rock up now more than ever.

Tasmanians are so close now to getting that team, they have to show there's no reason to doubt their ability, that they'll support a team through thick and thin. I already know an actual home team will be better supported (believe me), but they're not there just yet.

I know the Hawks are a more attractive offer, but Launceston is holding up their end well.
The thing is a North vs Port game would struggle to get 15000 in Melbourne so how can you expect a crowd almost as big in Tasmania?

Not sure that low Hobart crowds will harm the bid. Best thing Tas can do is leak that they won’t be renewing Hawks or North’s deal as Tasmanian only want to watch their own team. AFL won’t want to lose the Tassie cash.

The low crowd proves that the only way to pique interest in AF now in Tassie is for them them to have their own AFL team, otherwise i fear if they don't the game there will go the same way as the dinosaur.
I really can't see what the problem is for AFL house to give them their own team

I'm still not convinced it will get past the AFL commission to be honest,us Tasmanians have all heard it before from the AFL.
Dont forget Gil is leaving the job. Will he do anything about it before he goes or does his successor - He or She - get the gig.
The poster above has the right idea but that means Richard Goyder on the Commission may have to make a decision -Shock horror.
I live in Perth - Forget about the 3rd team out of WA - For a long time- Its a good idea on paper but it stops there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back