Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Depends on who has the picks, based on needs of other clubs I'd say after
Hmm. Would love two picks before Alwyn's bid comes in honestly but I'm still not sure that happens. Would Munkara be a reach at that pick or not?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Hmm. Would love two picks before Alwyn's bid comes in honestly but I'm still not sure that happens. Would Munkara be a reach at that pick or not?
Talent wise absolutely not a reach there

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
View attachment 1396991
A little late but here regardless. not a whole heap of movement in and out of the top 20 at this stage but some major movers within it. I'll start with the note that Ashcroft and Fletcher are F/S picks, I know Brisbane doesn't have those picks!

Moving on, the main riser has been Tom Scully. I've been probably the most critical on the board on Scully as he hasn't really added many dimensions to his game from last season, just gotten superbly good at his craft, but his most recent match has me excited given I felt he lifted in some of the areas I thought he was a little lacking in, his application/ execution at ground level was really good and it felt like he was dangerous whenever it was inside 50, not just when he was on the lead. It's one game, but if he can keep it up he'll have answered my (admittedly irrelevant) questions pretty well, still would like to see him outside the forward 50 when the ball is in defence, but that could be a coaching instruction more than anything.

Busslinger's start to the season has been undeniably good, in a similar sense to Broadbent I really don't think they're gaining anything playing WAFL Colts anymore, unless they move positions there's not much more they can do at that level given the quality of opposition in comparison to them. A big reason for Busslingers 'rise' within the mock draft for me has more to do with the tiers of talent becoming a bit clearer than anything though, right now I think Wardlaw and Ashcroft are a clear top 2, with the next 6 players the next group. This comes with the asterisk of I'm still holding stocks on Lemmey, had a shakey start to the season but hopefully with some consistency in just playing games he starts to show us what he's about again
Good to see Jakob Ryan has snuck in there...:padlock:

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
PMB .... Is Ryan Eyers a chance for the MSD? Reading his review on RookMe. he sounds a likely type. A lateish pick ..bring him in and have a look at him... ?
He's an interesting one, clubs will be picking him knowing he's a more long term project than most other options but I wouldn't be shocked if someone took the chance given MSD options are a little slimmer than last year

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
PMBangers, do u see weddle from chargers getting picked up and if so what draft range?
He's a later choice for me at the moment, nice size and fairly athletic obviously for a back flanker, ball use can be a bit iffy and I feel he can get a bit lost going forward at times. At the very least I think he'll be in the Metro side, so will have the opportunities to shine

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
He's an interesting one, clubs will be picking him knowing he's a more long term project than most other options but I wouldn't be shocked if someone took the chance given MSD options are a little slimmer than last year

He sounds like he is a fair way off. Has he played any time in D? Id like add a ute type in the MSD...and if not then.. add one in the National.

Looking at at your early Mocks... you have Holland ahead of Clark just... what is about Hollands that you see him ahead atm.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
He sounds like he is a fair way off. Has he played any time in D? Id like add a ute type in the MSD...and if not then.. add one in the National.

Looking at at your early Mocks... you have Holland ahead of Clark just... what is about Hollands that you see him ahead atm.
Yeah he has from memory, just not necessarily tearing it up.

Hollands is bigger, more athletic and better forward of centre which has him ahead for me, coming into the year i would've said Hollands is cleaner with the ball as well, but a more inside role/contested style this year has them at a similar level now

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
crack at country and metro hey.PNG

Since there's a week off in junior footy (mostly) and everyone else is doing it, thought I'd have a crack at a Country and Metro side based on what I've seen so far over the last 12 months. I think the top names are pretty clear to see for everyone now, but I feel like the final 5 spots in each of these squads is still fairly open with the evenness of the prospects outside of the top group. I think Country have a pretty well rounded team overall, no particular area of weakness for me and a nice mix of play styles within them, there's probably not the same level of star power as Metro, WA or SA but I wouldn't be shocked to see them fair pretty well in the champs. I feel like Fogaty is one that's flown a bit under the radar as well compared to last year given he's been forced to ruck for GWV, but he could well end up being a KPD in this Country side given Howe and Northam are arguably better in the ruck.

Metro is a bit different, a lot of strength in almost all areas but a little short in the backline, I think there's a few guys they can call on as KPD's that may not be better than Gruzewski overall but could match up better on some of those 200cm+ forwards other states will have. Looking at the U17's Metro side from last year, perhaps they look to bring in Dane Harvey or Kalpakis from Northern, despite not starring this year, or a couple of overaged options could be Tyreece Leiu or Sam Grant. Most of the 'Emergencies' in that Metro side are midfielders as well, so the tall depth isn't quite as abundant as I expect SA/ Country have

PocketRocket08

Senior List
Apr 26, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
View attachment 1400427

Since there's a week off in junior footy (mostly) and everyone else is doing it, thought I'd have a crack at a Country and Metro side based on what I've seen so far over the last 12 months. I think the top names are pretty clear to see for everyone now, but I feel like the final 5 spots in each of these squads is still fairly open with the evenness of the prospects outside of the top group. I think Country have a pretty well rounded team overall, no particular area of weakness for me and a nice mix of play styles within them, there's probably not the same level of star power as Metro, WA or SA but I wouldn't be shocked to see them fair pretty well in the champs. I feel like Fogaty is one that's flown a bit under the radar as well compared to last year given he's been forced to ruck for GWV, but he could well end up being a KPD in this Country side given Howe and Northam are arguably better in the ruck.

Metro is a bit different, a lot of strength in almost all areas but a little short in the backline, I think there's a few guys they can call on as KPD's that may not be better than Gruzewski overall but could match up better on some of those 200cm+ forwards other states will have. Looking at the U17's Metro side from last year, perhaps they look to bring in Dane Harvey or Kalpakis from Northern, despite not starring this year, or a couple of overaged options could be Tyreece Leiu or Sam Grant. Most of the 'Emergencies' in that Metro side are midfielders as well, so the tall depth isn't quite as abundant as I expect SA/ Country have
Tough gig, so we’ll done on the effort. I’m pleased you have selected Nate Caddy. I think he looks the most natural key fwd in Victoria. Charlie Curnow like.
I don’t like putting any young players down but I think Alwyn Davey is being a little overrated. Played predominantly fwd has 1 goal and only two tackles a game in the strongest team.
He looks to have nice skills but I’m not sold on the hype…

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
View attachment 1400427

Well done. Not an easy task. Similar to Davo’s team. Strong line ups Keen to see the 50 VM & VC squads. A few of the same names starting to regularly appearing for top & bottom agers.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I don’t like putting any young players down but I think Alwyn Davey is being a little overrated. Played predominantly fwd has 1 goal and only two tackles a game in the strongest team.
He looks to have nice skills but I’m not sold on the hype…
Not really convinced on this, from my viewings Davey's played a large chunk of his games on ball and rotating on the bench, the only time I've really seen him line up as a forward he's been more of high half forward with a link up focused role, those types aren't really big goal kickers outside the likes of Toby Greene

PocketRocket08

Senior List
Apr 26, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not really convinced on this, from my viewings Davey's played a large chunk of his games on ball and rotating on the bench, the only time I've really seen him line up as a forward he's been more of high half forward with a link up focused role, those types aren't really big goal kickers outside the likes of Toby Greene
I only watched the first two games live and two me he looked like he was fwd majority of those games. Obviously with stints on the interchange. Rd1 pretty much unsighted. Was a little better in round 2. As I said not putting him down just me personally not convinced. We all see the game differently

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Haven't had much time recently but thought I'd put in my two cents on both the Academy Game squad and the extended Allies squad.

First off on the Academy game, it's going to be exciting to see some interstate players in person for the first time in what feels like forever, I'll be particularly keen to see Scully and D'Aloia in person to see what their off the ball impact is like given there's some question marks there. Not that a starting line up really matters but here's my prediction;
FB: Jed Hagan (WA), Jedd Busslinger (WA), Luke Teal (VIC M)
HB: Lachlan Cowan (TAS), Max Michalanny (SA), Henry Hustwaite (VIC C)
C: Elijah Tsatas (VIC M), George Wardlaw (VIC M), Jason Gillbee (NSW/ACT)
HF: Alwyn Davey Jnr (VIC M), Harry Lemmey (SA), Elijah Hewett (WA)
FF: Matthew Jefferson (VIC M), Tom Scully (SA), Harry Sheezel (VIC M)
FOLL: Jackson Broadbent (WA), Will Ashcroft (VIC M), Mitch Szybkowski (VIC C)
INT: Jaspa Fletcher (QLD), Anthony Munkara (NT), Jhye Clark (VIC C), Oliver Hollands (VIC C), Aaron Cadman (VIC C), Adam D'Aloia (SA)
As a team it's obviously strong, will be interesting to see how the guys that play pretty much exclusively through the midfield go when they're rotating in the forward line or back line, I wouldn't be shocked if some of the guys that have played elsewhere in their bottom aged years like Cadman (Defense) or Fletcher (Defense) end up playing a good chunk of time in those positions as well.

The extended Allies squad hasn't really thrown up many surprises, it's a little disappointing there's such a heavy focus on 2003 born players but I understand the reasoning with the past 2 years we've had, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see as little as 10 2004 born players in the final side and just 2 or 3 bottom agers. It'll also be interesting to see if any of those 2003'ers in the squad get picked up mid season, it's not out of the question that guys like Eyres, Grace, Hart, Anderson, etc. could be in some clubs discussions there

PocketRocket08

Senior List
Apr 26, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Haven't had much time recently but thought I'd put in my two cents on both the Academy Game squad and the extended Allies squad.

First off on the Academy game, it's going to be exciting to see some interstate players in person for the first time in what feels like forever, I'll be particularly keen to see Scully and D'Aloia in person to see what their off the ball impact is like given there's some question marks there. Not that a starting line up really matters but here's my prediction;
FB: Jed Hagan (WA), Jedd Busslinger (WA), Luke Teal (VIC M)
HB: Lachlan Cowan (TAS), Max Michalanny (SA), Henry Hustwaite (VIC C)
C: Elijah Tsatas (VIC M), George Wardlaw (VIC M), Jason Gillbee (NSW/ACT)
HF: Alwyn Davey Jnr (VIC M), Harry Lemmey (SA), Elijah Hewett (WA)
FF: Matthew Jefferson (VIC M), Tom Scully (SA), Harry Sheezel (VIC M)
FOLL: Jackson Broadbent (WA), Will Ashcroft (VIC M), Mitch Szybkowski (VIC C)
INT: Jaspa Fletcher (QLD), Anthony Munkara (NT), Jhye Clark (VIC C), Oliver Hollands (VIC C), Aaron Cadman (VIC C), Adam D'Aloia (SA)
As a team it's obviously strong, will be interesting to see how the guys that play pretty much exclusively through the midfield go when they're rotating in the forward line or back line, I wouldn't be shocked if some of the guys that have played elsewhere in their bottom aged years like Cadman (Defense) or Fletcher (Defense) end up playing a good chunk of time in those positions as well.

The extended Allies squad hasn't really thrown up many surprises, it's a little disappointing there's such a heavy focus on 2003 born players but I understand the reasoning with the past 2 years we've had, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see as little as 10 2004 born players in the final side and just 2 or 3 bottom agers. It'll also be interesting to see if any of those 2003'ers in the squad get picked up mid season, it's not out of the question that guys like Eyres, Grace, Hart, Anderson, etc. could be in some clubs discussions there
Look fwd to reading your match report on tomorrows game. Unfortunately I can’t make tomorrow afternoon. I do believe that Ashcroft will separate himself as clear number 1 tomorrow.

I agree the allies have to many 2003 players in squad. If they miss out on mid season draft they shouldn’t be able to play in the champs in my opinion.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns

I don’t hate it, especially with the Allies sort of missing out last year. If playing overage guys makes them more competitive and allows the draft age players to shine then I’m all for it.

I’m just hoping more people join me on the Lloyd Johnston train once the Champs gets underway.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I don’t hate it, especially with the Allies sort of missing out last year. If playing overage guys makes them more competitive and allows the draft age players to shine then I’m all for it.

I’m just hoping more people join me on the Lloyd Johnston train once the Champs gets underway.
I'm more on the fence if anything, not totally against it but I feel there's a few potential state league players in there rather than genuine draft hopes of the 2003 born players, if it was more so only draft chances from 2003 and then a focus on 2004/2005 born players I'd be much happier with that. Hart as an example is one I completely understand given his height and improvement this year, but there are some 03ers in there that have been the same for 3 years which are the ones I'm raising an eyebrow at.

In saying that it's just from my POV of course, there's a few 04ers I thought had some good traits that haven't made it that probably have as little interest, so the selectors have gone with the view of selecting the more competitive options

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
blame eDPS he suggested Alwyn is a first round draft chance ;):oops:

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I'm more on the fence if anything, not totally against it but I feel there's a few potential state league players in there rather than genuine draft hopes of the 2003 born players, if it was more so only draft chances from 2003 and then a focus on 2004/2005 born players I'd be much happier with that. Hart as an example is one I completely understand given his height and improvement this year, but there are some 03ers in there that have been the same for 3 years which are the ones I'm raising an eyebrow at.

In saying that it's just from my POV of course, there's a few 04ers I thought had some good traits that haven't made it that probably have as little interest, so the selectors have gone with the view of selecting the more competitive options
where can we watch the game mate?

Back