Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Something about this draft. Nobody has really blown the door off the hinges yet, but browsing through the top 25 I don't think there are many duds and there will be a lot of players who have great careers.

Chapman, Perkins, Bowey, Gulden, Bruhn, DGB, McCreery and Holmes are some of my early favourites. Keen to watch the likes of Henry, Thilthorpe, LMac, Powell and Jamarra continue their growth. Conor Stone is one I really want to see get game time; I really liked him in his draft year

Something about this draft. Nobody has really blown the door off the hinges yet, but browsing through the top 25 I don't think there are many duds and there will be a lot of players who have great careers.

Chapman, Perkins, Bowey, Gulden, Bruhn, DGB, McCreery and Holmes are some of my early favourites. Keen to watch the likes of Henry, Thilthorpe, LMac, Powell and Jamarra continue their growth. Conor Stone is one I really want to see get game time; I really liked him in his draft year
Gulden has been phenomenal. Isn’t getting his just rewards. Can’t believe he was overlooked so many times.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Having Archie Perkins in the top 3 right now. Been the one bright spot for a disappointing start to the season for the Dons.
Fallen off a cliff. Either needs a full week rest or half in the VFL.

1 disposal in 75% game time in the 1st half tonight and not much better in the 2nd half. Looks to be running in mud.

Fallen off a cliff. Either needs a full week rest or half in the VFL.

1 disposal in 75% game time in the 1st half tonight and not much better in the 2nd half. Looks to be running in mud.

He missed training this week so potentially there's something wrong. Having said that, being stuck in our forward 50 was a lonely place to be this game.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Was at marvel this avo and Perkins and Cox were both disappointing. Seem to have gone backwards since last year, is it just second year blues? Cox was so exciting at times last year I remember.

Nathan o Driscoll however - time to start tossing his name into this thread conversation. Pick 28 in 2020 & Absolutely brilliant today he was

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Really weird draft.

Obviously no games for vic kids and limited games for interstate kids before the draft. I’m tipping in a few years a few players that never got exposed will get drafted.

Wondering where Newcombe would have gone had he been able to play for Gippsland in his draft year.

Lot of what if's from the 2020 pool.

Wondering where Newcombe would have gone had he been able to play for Gippsland in his draft year.

Lot of what if's from the 2020 pool.
Off the top of my head Issac Smith had a similar story, playing country footy, wasn't even on a VFL list, when given a chance during the year dominated then went on the First Rd of the National Draft.

Different players though but the closest comparison I can think off.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Seems to me that due to COVID interruptions, that the 2020 draft crop will take a bit longer to get 'seasoned/develop' than other draft classes.

Since COVID started, it's been a really bad time for clubs to bottom out/start rebuilding, a point that should enter the equation for any North Melbourne application for a Priority Pick

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
It might take another few weeks for the VFL media to wake up to Chapman.

There definitely some Bontempelli traits in there.

Ah look at that. It’s a few weeks later and the VFL media woke up! Rising star nominee for round 8.
Going to be a special player this guy.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think he’s put in a few stinkers in the VFL this year too

i50 delivery in the twos is absolute rubbish this year, but he didn’t stamp his name on anything in the AFL side either. Was able to set up some good leads but nobody hit them up, and he doesn’t have the contested strength yet. I think he’ll be a slow developer.

Anthony Scott has been our best 2020 pickup.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Gulden is such a good kick, he has to be up there.

Swans did a clever job hiding him from the National Scouts (if you believe the rumours)

Definitely would have Errol now in the top 5 from this draft. So classy.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
JUH with 5 disposals and 0 goals in the VFL today. Bit of a worry
Yeah pretty concerned. Only managed 3 goals last week then another 6 today now that we've got some AFL players back into our VFL side :/

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
Yeah pretty concerned. Only managed 3 goals last week then another 6 today now that we've got some AFL players back into our VFL side :/
I don’t get the sarcasm. My post was in the context of him not playing well. I’m glad he’s showing some form in the reserves though 👍

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t get the sarcasm. My post was in the context of him not playing well. I’m glad he’s showing some form in the reserves though 👍
Your post was expressing concern about how he's tracking after a single bad game

Back