BBL Signings 2022/23

Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Good news for Short. He has been terrible since Vaughan left the Hurricanes. Hopefully Punter can sort him out. I think Griffith was clueless with the bats moving Wade and McDermott around willy nilly and there seemed to be some tension between Wade and Griffith.

idel one

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2008
Brisbane
Faf du Plessis the first of the anticipated group of big names to nominate for the BBL's International player draft - available for first half of the competition.
Also Rilee Rosssouw, David Wiese and Marchant de Lange into the mix.

idel one

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2008
Brisbane
This international BBL player draft looks interesting . . . latest announcement has a few more big names to consider (and admittedly some that will require several hours on cricinfo to ascertain what role they could play!)

Afghanistan: Rashid Khan, Qais Ahmad, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Waqarullah Ishaq, Izharulhaq Naveed, Naveen-ul-haq Murid, Hazratullah Zazai

Namibia: David Wiese

New Zealand: Colin Munro, Todd Astle

South Africa: Faf du Plessis, Marchant de Lange, Rilee Rossouw

West Indies: Dwayne Bravo, Kieron Pollard, Sheldon Cottrell, Chemar Holder, Akeal Hosein, Evin Lewis, Anderson Phillip, Khary Pierre, Ravi Rampaul, Sherfane Rutherford, Jayden Seales, Kevin Sinclair, Tion Webster, Nyeem Young

Assume CA will have more to roll out in the next few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
You compare that list to the IPL internationals and you see why the BBL is subpar and up against it. Yeesh.

Well yeah the IPL doesn't have to compete with international fixtures and has a s**t load of money. I looked at the big bash internationals v the other leagues, excluding the ipl, and it was basically the same English county cricketers jumping from one to the other

The draft sucks IMO. The strikers potentially robbed of Khan. Be interesting to see how many drafted players pull out if they don't get where they want to go.
did you read the rules especially the Rashid Khan rule

So what are the rules then? If it is a draft with a pool of eligible players, I'd expect they would pick them one by one but maybe just me.
Rashid is one of the household names of the BBL, having spent five seasons with Adelaide Strikers, so much so that the retention pick process within the draft has been dubbed the "Rashid Khan rule" and allows a club to retain a player they had last season if they are taken in the draft by a rival side

So they are only really in the draft for marketing purposes then.

Khloe Kardashian Winner GIF by Bunim/Murray Productions

It's all about creating some bullshit interest

hotdish

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
Always shocks me that the BBL can't attract a few more kiwis to play. Tina of talent there, easy to get them here on 3 hours notice, and they have some great talent in domestic and fringe NZ level.

I wonder if Lamichane is playing a different competition this year if he wasn't named in the original batch of overseas draft players.

idel one

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2008
Brisbane
Always shocks me that the BBL can't attract a few more kiwis to play. Tina of talent there, easy to get them here on 3 hours notice, and they have some great talent in domestic and fringe NZ level.

I wonder if Lamichane is playing a different competition this year if he wasn't named in the original batch of overseas draft players.
The Kiwis have to play in their own competition - pretty sure Cricket NZ stipulates their contracted players must be available for their own T20 series. So thee likes of Colin Munro and Ross Taylor and some of the other ones outside the contract system can play in the BBL.

I think there is something like 130 players who have registered interest in the draft so Lamichane is probably in there - just not announced. BBL social media has teased another announcement of players this week and i would guess they will drip feed a few more names before revealing the whole lot before the draft next month sometime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back