Analysis The Rebuilds of Carlton and Fremantle and their future prospects

Who has the better prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries may unfortunately derail top 4 prospects for Carlton. The ruck situation is so structurally important.

McGovern as an intercepting defender was a revelation if only for a few games. Teams' ball movement can look really slick if you start the chain with an intercept (turnover) rather than from a clearance.

Harry McKay missing for the next 6 weeks is going to be huge. Let's see how the rest of the Blues pick up the slack.

If they go 2 - 4 or worse then the over reliance will still be on show. 3 - 3 or better and they should be taken very seriously.

Giants (Giants Stadium) night
Swans (Marvel) day
Magpies (MCG) ?
Bombers (MCG) ?
Tigers (MCG) ?

Harry McKay missing for the next 6 weeks is going to be huge. Let's see how the rest of the Blues pick up the slack.

If they go 2 - 4 or worse then the over reliance will still be on show. 3 - 3 or better and they should be taken very seriously.

Swans (Marvel) day
Magpies (MCG) ?
Bombers (MCG) ?
Tigers (MCG) ?
We're missing 8 of our best 22 now and arguably 10 if you were to ask Carlton fans with Honey/Cuningham. If we go 3-3 or better ill be cancelling my trip in late september. Blues injury list is often overlooked for some reason but we have some monumental outs atm.

We're missing 8 of our best 22 now and arguably 10 if you were to ask Carlton fans with Honey/Cuningham. If we go 3-3 or better ill be cancelling my trip in late september. Blues injury list is often overlooked for some reason but we have some monumental outs atm.
I'll give you 5 (E.Curnow, Hewett, Martin, McGovern, Pittonet) on top of McKay now from the latest AFL injury list

It was not a dig at Carlton (for once :p) but an observation that they have been going well and now some key outs are popping up (McKay the big one now on top of Pitonett), can they cover these and the Blues system pick up the slack?

I'll give you 5 (E.Curnow, Hewett, Martin, McGovern, Pittonet) on top of McKay now from the latest AFL injury list

It was not a dig at Carlton (for once :p) but an observation that they have been going well and now some key outs are popping up (McKay the big one now on top of Pitonett), can they cover these and the Blues system pick up the slack?
Well given our system is maul teams at stoppage and kick it on top of 2 absolute guns hoping theyll clunk it... I'd say it will be put to the test. The rest of our weapons are going down like flies with very ordinary replacements in the sheds.

Guess we'll wait and see :eekv1:

Swans (Marvel) day
Magpies (MCG) ?
Bombers (MCG) ?
Tigers (MCG) ?

Can realistically see 0-5 out of that:
GWS with a tall forward line to stretch - a weak defence and the added narrative of sending off the coach on a good note
  • Swans: subject to how they fare tonight, they’d be looking to bounce back after a couple losses. They’ve been great this year and always being the heat.
  • Pies and Dons: always competitive, close games.
  • Tigers: they’re running with close to a clean list and with Dusty, they’re looking dangerous.

2/5 would be a pass and still keep Carlton in contention for finals. Less will push them into the logjam for 8th and 3+ is a v good outcome.

GWS with a tall forward line to stretch - a weak defence and the added narrative of sending off the coach on a good note
  • Swans: subject to how they fare tonight, they’d be looking to bounce back after a couple losses. They’ve been great this year and always being the heat.
  • Tigers: they’re running with close to a clean list and with Dusty, they’re looking dangerous.

2/5 would be a pass and still keep Carlton in contention for finals. Less will push them into the logjam for 8th and 3+ is a v good outcome.
Carlton could also win all 5. Giants don't have a good connection into their forward line and are struggling, Swans are definitely beatable, Pies look cooked, Dons who knows what they'll produce, Tigers seem to be on the rise, but their defence is leaky. Harry out is not great - Carlton will have to find other avenues to goal and not just kick it to Charlie all the time. I'm excited to see how Motlop goes for you even though would have liked him at Freo. Can they play Cripps forward a bit more with Hewitt back ?

On paper looks to be a walk in the park for Carlton who should be aiming for a top 4 spot. Going 2/5 would be a pass, may keep them in front of the middle of the pack but once the troops come back (McKay, Pitonett etc) could improve them at the right time of the year.

Swans (Marvel) day
Magpies (MCG) ?
Bombers (MCG) ?
Tigers (MCG) ?

I think we might be okay, but Swans after a 5 day break will be tough

I think we might be okay, but Swans after a 5 day break will be tough

Utterly bizarre fixturing by the AFL, too. 5 day break for Carlton after travelling for the late slot on Sunday is stupid, but it is only 6 days for Sydney, and we then wait 9 days to play Collingwood the following Sunday.

Clearly the AFL wanted a decent Friday night game (particularly given Richmond/ESsendon is locked in for Saturday) so they threw this in after both Carlton and the Swans started well but it's a bad example of how to use the floating fixture imo.

Suns, 7 of 10 goals from talls, Dockers, no concerns with KPD players ?
You clearly didn't watch the game.

Chol's first he was lead to the ball on Logue. He didn't go with him we turned it over and he was out the back for an easy goal on his own.
Chol's second goal he didn't even go up and there, it was spoilt to him with the ball landing in his lap. Good little snap for a goal.
His third was a two grab contested mark, we were playing a zone at the time. But, that is a tick for a Key Forward Goal.
His last goal was that he was the last handball in a chain.

One goal of Casboults was from in the ruck.

So 2 out of 10 goals were lead up type or contested marks which a KDP would have against them.

So what are you even talking about?

You clearly didn't watch the game.

Chol's first he was lead to the ball on Logue. He didn't go with him we turned it over and he was out the back for an easy goal on his own.
Chol's second goal he didn't even go up and there, it was spoilt to him with the ball landing in his lap. Good little snap for a goal.
His third was a two grab contested mark, we were playing a zone at the time. But, that is a tick for a Key Forward Goal.
His last goal was that he was the last handball in a chain.

One goal of Casboults was from in the ruck. 1 of Chol's was a handball out the back as he was the last in the chain. Casboult's other goal was a good mark.

So 2 out of 10 goals were lead up type contested marks.

So what are you even talking about?

You must be new, I watch all games

Carve it anyway you want, 7 of 10 goals came from talls, doesn't matter if it was an overhead or a chest mark or in open play, or joe the goose

Similar to the Cats game, but you fought that one out very well

Personally, it's a watch and see for me

Carve it anyway you want, 7 of 10 goals came from talls, doesn't matter if it was an overhead or a chest mark or in open play, or joe the goose

You are only looking at an end result based on a statistic, only 2 of those goals are reflective of KDP goals. It astonishes me that you believe that you can blame a joe the goose on a Key defender.

Ultimately we got beaten around the contest throughout the game. Nothing to do with the quality of the KDP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What where Hawkins kicked 2 and Cameron didn't kick one?

You are only looking at an end result based on a statistic, only 2 of those goals are reflective of KDP goals. It astonishes me that you believe that you can blame a joe the goose on a Key defender.

Ultimately we got beaten around the contest throughout the game. Nothing to do with the quality of the KDP.
What where Hawkins kicked 2 and Cameron didn't kick one?
The poster has never let facts get in the way of a good story, why would they start now?

Backline has basically been decimated in terms of KPDs

Swans (Marvel) day
Magpies (MCG) ?
Bombers (MCG) ?
Tigers (MCG) ?

That's ONE!!!! :D

SOS delayed Carlton's rebuild efforts through dumb recruiting.

Who are you referring to?

He recruited Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Walsh, Kennedy, Fisher, JSOS, Stocker, DeKoning, Pittonet, Marchbank and Plowman who are all pretty integral members of the side.

He got the spine set in his first year, and then built around it, using second round picks to plug gaps via mass trades in of GWS players for discounts (Plowman has been a regular, Marchbank is a gun but perennially injured, and Kennedy is having a borderline AA season this year, and is a vital cog in the midfield).

Dow and SPS havent worked out (still hold hopes for Dow who's cutting it up in the 2's) so those were busts, and he should have gotten a better deal for Touhy, and his deals with Geelong were cruddy, but no recruiter nails every trade and pick.

I dont think you realize just how s**t we were when he arrived. Other than Cripps and Docherty who had only just arrived (and to a lesser extent Ed Curnow) - the only players left on the list from his first year at the club - the list was utter rubbish. We'd blown 7 of the prior 8 years of drafts on duds.

He had to rebuild us from scratch. Without an academy or COLA.

Back