Review Round 9 vs Fremantle, Metricon Stadium, Sunday 15th May, 1:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the replays. Just like the fourth quarter last week, feel like Rowell is immense at the contest. Just gets to the ball and looks to be able to shrug off more tackles and get the ball out each week. He enables other players to run out and attack, even if his stats don’t look amazing.

Chol was immense at ground level. Swallow and Touk just battered the Freo players time and time again. Rankine might not have the scoreboard stats, but he looked electric and has the score involvements to show for his work.
Yep agree on Rowell, I look at it a bit like Richmond of the last 6 years, majority of games they haven't had players dominating kicks and handballs but as a group they get it done. Pre 2017 cotchin was racking up stats behind the ball but when they started being a finals side he was often getting 20ish touches but having just as much influence if not more. We played a Richmond style today, I hate Richmond but what they do wins finals and I'm glad we are heading towards that style of play.

Wins like that make my dick hard.

fu** yeah Suns.
7b37852fa1add38566da4080c902379b.png

When you watch the replay Rowelly was just massive for us today
Didn't quite pick his impact at the game
Of course I WAS busy booing Will Brodie-soooooooo

Just echoing what Justin Longmuir said in the press conference: it seems like the media tear into you when you lose and say your opponents played poorly when you win, but the truth is your team is playing great footy and today was a damn impressive win.

Just echoing what Justin Longmuir said in the press conference: it seems like the media tear into you when you lose and say your opponents played poorly when you win, but the truth is your team is playing great footy and today was a damn impressive win.

Totally agree.....

and just went and listened to his comments......

No, they played really well. They’re a good, contested ball team. They’ve got an elite backline that just gets the job done. I think it’s interesting with the Suns, when they lose they cop it, when they win it’s the other team that’s having a down day. They played really well today and from what I’ve seen on the tape during the week they’ve been playing some really good footy, so they deserve all the credit today.

Last edited:
After this week:
13th best attack
10th best defence

2021 we were
18th best attack
13th best defence

We're just much more consistent in scoring regularly compared with last year.
In 36 quarters this year we've scored

0 goals - 0
1 goal - 6
2 goals - 11
3 goals - 10
4 goals - 5
5 goals - 3
8 goals - 1

I haven't looked back at last year, but reckon there were a lot more 1 or 0 goal quarters.

Pretty consistent ability to keep the score ticking over.
Just need to turn a few of those 2-3 goal quarters into 4-5 goal quarters and we'll be laughing.

Also, shoutout to the cheer squad.

Feel like I haven’t heard so much noise from the crowd at a game, at least not in a while. Maybe it helps that Freo crowd were small compared to our usual Melbourne teams, but it really stood out yesterday.
After this week:
13th best attack
10th best defence

2021 we were
18th best attack
13th best defence

We're just much more consistent in scoring regularly compared with last year.
In 36 quarters this year we've scored

0 goals - 0
1 goal - 6
2 goals - 11
3 goals - 10
4 goals - 5
5 goals - 3
8 goals - 1

I haven't looked back at last year, but reckon there were a lot more 1 or 0 goal quarters.

Pretty consistent ability to keep the score ticking over.
Just need to turn a few of those 2-3 goal quarters into 4-5 goal quarters and we'll be laughing.
It’s those 1 goal quarters that hurt too. Reckon we have almost one a week, where we score a few behinds but not enough goals.

Yesterday was good because we had scoreboard pressure to go along with our on ground pressure around the ball. Really made Freo play badly when the heat was on.

Also, shoutout to the cheer squad.

Feel like I haven’t heard so much noise from the crowd at a game, at least not in a while. Maybe it helps that Freo crowd were small compared to our usual Melbourne teams, but it really stood out yesterday.

It’s those 1 goal quarters that hurt too. Reckon we have almost one a week, where we score a few behinds but not enough goals.

Yesterday was good because we had scoreboard pressure to go along with our on ground pressure around the ball. Really made Freo play badly when the heat was on.
Yeah not ideal.
When I was looking at it those 1 goal quarters were usually 1 goal, 4 behinds etc..

Quick look at 2021.
After round 9 we had
5 quarters 0 goals
5 quarters 1 goal.

Still room for improvement given we’re 13th beat attack in the league, but significant improvement on last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sums up the difference between the two teams yesterday. Suns players just wanted it more while Freo looked like they just wanted to come over here, play some bruise free footy, and walk away with an easy four-points against a bottom 10 team.

SUNS: "Rowelly's so strong" :hearteyes:

Sums up the difference between the two teams yesterday. Suns players just wanted it more while Freo looked like they just wanted to come over here, play some bruise free footy, and walk away with an easy four-points against a bottom 10 team.

Every player in that passage doing what they're paid to do
Dew would just love it

1.Levi contesting on the wing!
2.Rowell's amazing ability to get the ball and take it away from the contest
3.Fiorini linking
4.Dave smashing the contest
5.Touk"Where TF did you just appear from???" supermans the ball out to Chol
6.Mabs takes the responsibility and Choals

How good is Dave now he doesn't have to be or maybe more importantly doesn't feel he has to be "The One"

Totally agree.....

and just went and listened to his comments......

No, they played really well. They’re a good, contested ball team. They’ve got an elite backline that just gets the job done. I think it’s interesting with the Suns, when they lose they cop it, when they win it’s the other team that’s having a down day. They played really well today and from what I’ve seen on the tape during the week they’ve been playing some really good footy, so they deserve all the credit today.
That true comment from JLo probably went right over Kane Cornes’ head.

Still think Noah deserved the RS over “Short Steps” Serong. Both Rowell and Anderson the better players.

Over 6000 there yesterday
Seemed less but I guess a fair few of us were standing up behind the seats out of the rain
Made enough noise for 15000 though
Hard disagree.

Decent effort from some groups on the wings but the atmosphere was deader than my love life.

Where were you?
Our seats are beside the Suns bench

Like I was saying before, I give the guys on your side credit for trying but it wasn't anywhere near to sounding like 15k

It was nice of the "cheersquad" to put away the tea and crumpets and start finally chanting when we were up by 50 :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back