Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Bit late but did anyone see the abysmal decision against McGovern?

Umpiring is becoming the most dire element of the game. Some of its them but most of it is the interpretations.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Worst decision of the year. Everything about it was wrong.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Umpiring is becoming the most dire element of the game. Some of its them but most of it is the interpretations.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not watching the game but if you guys have watched the last couple of North games and both call out the decision against McGovern then it must have been a shocker.

I will check on the AFL Website for their videos that highlight the turning points in games. Maybe they've already posted it. I'll go check....

1652608041941.png

Crickets.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Jack Redden has played 250 games.

That’s astounding.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Terrible.

OK, I've seen it now as well. The umpire was #28 (Dore). I have to agree, it was an absolute utensil-up of a decision. The Melbourne player #6 ran through the mark so the 50 ought to have been to McGovern - not even questionable. In fact, #25 is also in the protected zone or very close to it. For reference, Petracca is the man on the mark.

Then, instead of paying 50, the ump called play on. That is simply 100% wrong.

1652613178655.png

To add insult to injury, the commentator prattled on about a "bit of confusion" then ranted about how good is Petracca.

That is AFL Umpiring Hall of Fame stuff. Umpire #28, Cameron Dore, come on down.

The video is in this page.. http://bit.ly/3lcMeKu

Last edited:

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
OK, I've seen it now as well. The umpire was #28 (Dore). I have to agree, it was an absolute utensil-up of a decision. The Melbourne player #6 ran through the mark so the 50 ought to have been to McGovern - not even questionable. In fact, #25 is also in the protected zone or very close to it. For reference, Petracca is the man on the mark.

Then, instead of paying 50, the up called play on. That is simply 100% wrong.

View attachment 1401092

To add insult to injury, the commentator prattled on about a "bit of confusion" then ranted about how good is Petracca.

That is AFL Umpiring Hall of Fame stuff. Umpire #28, Cameron Dore, come on down.

The video is in this page.. http://bit.ly/3lcMeKu

Appalling SOS. But we know how it works when 1 plays 18 and the " STARS " are involved.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t understand how a midfield of Kelly, Taranto, Green, Coniglio and Ward isn’t more competitive. I’ve always said L.Cameron was a garbage coach, but with the talent on GWS list they should easily be in the 8.

Easily the most disappointing team in the comp considering the talent at their disposal.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t understand how a midfield of Kelly, Taranto, Green, Coniglio and Ward isn’t more competitive. I’ve always said L.Cameron was a garbage coach, but with the taken on GWS they should easily be in the 8.

Easily the most disappointing team in the comp considering the talent at their disposal.
I've always thought that apart from a shabby coach they've also suffered from a lack of team first players. Too many blokes that play the game to raise their own value rather than to help the team win.

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
******* umpiring. That new rule is to blame for a lot of poor umpire performance.

With lack of any players being able to in some way hold umpires to account, by way of complaining and just generally arguing that they have made a mistake, umpires just now have no real accountability anywhere during a match.

No accountability always ends up with poor performance. ALWAYS. This one rule is making the umpiring of our game get worse and worse because the umpires don't have to care about getting it right because they are protected like 5 year old children in a ******* kindergarten.

Something needs to change.

******* umpiring. That new rule is to blame for a lot of poor umpire performance.

With lack of any players being able to in some way hold umpires to account, by way of complaining and just generally arguing that they have made a mistake, umpires just now have no real accountability anywhere during a match.

No accountability always ends up with poor performance. ALWAYS. This one rule is making the umpiring of our game get worse and worse because the umpires don't have to care about getting it right because they are protected like 5 year old children in a ******* kindergarten.

As much as I don’t like the interpretation of the dissent rule this post is utter tripe.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Umpires were never accountable to players during a match though? And while the players can't remonstrate the crowd will more than make up for it still if there's a howler.

Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just on umpiring and the dissent rule, on the weekend I saw Larkey get a free against for dissent after he wasn’t paid a mark. First time I’ve seen a free paid for dissent based on a non-decision. Has this been happening a lot, or one out of the bag? Previously only seen 50s paid for dissent after a decision had already been made.

Just on umpiring and the dissent rule, on the weekend I saw Larkey get a free against for dissent after he wasn’t paid a mark. First time I’ve seen a free paid for dissent based on a non-decision. Has this been happening a lot, or one out of the bag? Previously only seen 50s paid for dissent after a decision had already been made.
I have a few times for non-decisions, mostly at stoppages, but it’s definitely rare for sure.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne

It’s like watching that same 5 year old kid draw all over your walls with texta and having to stand back and say great artwork there little Johnny :)

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As much as I don’t like the interpretation of the dissent rule this post is utter tripe.
Its simple psychology.

If they don't change it, or change something else to bring umpires to account, then it will get worse. Lets see how it goes shall we.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back