• Jaymie Graham

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
As unsure as I am about it Ross Lyon wouldn't be a super bad choice for them as Lyon is very good at making his players play tough and play like a team, two things that GWS have very much lacked throughout their time as a club. Only problem is that the modern game is more attacking than it was 10 years ago and I am not sure Lyon is able to change his gamestyle.

I can't see how Clarkson isn't their next coach - the AFL will make this happen.

Just like they made Buddy at GWS happen... oh wait
Wouldn't be surprised if other clubs try to secure his services.... I say get him back as president at Hawthorn so Jeff can get out!

(I concede GWS is a likely option)

clarko will go where ever the AFLs pay check is the highest.......and I'm thinking the suns

so Yze to GWS

but I'm hoping Ken goes to the suns, dew to giants and clarko to port

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
As unsure as I am about it Ross Lyon wouldn't be a super bad choice for them as Lyon is very good at making his players play tough and play like a team, two things that GWS have very much lacked throughout their time as a club. Only problem is that the modern game is more attacking than it was 10 years ago and I am not sure Lyon is able to change his gamestyle.
Lyon and Buckley have said they won't be coaching next year.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I actually think GWS need to go into rebuild.

Their problem largely is to do with list management and they need to turn a lot over and rebuild

I would get Norths first pick and West Coasts pick by trading Coniglio and Kelly with salary dumps part paying their salarys at the new clubs.

I would Trade Haynes out, I would trade Greene out, and I would trade Whitfield out with salary dump part paying contracts to get good picks back in.

Looking at a 3-6 year rebuild keeping Taranto, Hopper, Green, Ash etc..

They need to rebuild a forward line and enhance their backline which takes time

So they need a development coach who has six years to get them to rise up

Last edited:
I can't see how Clarkson isn't their next coach - the AFL will make this happen.

Been saying this since last year.

Also, IF (big if BTW) Dusty did come to Sydney, he'd be (AFL) landed at GWS along with Clarko

Imagine the promotion of GWS by the addition of those 2

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
surely waits for Tas. maybe picks up a director of coaching role somewhere (possibly GWS if they go a first time/young coach)

McVeigh gets a good chance to audition. Long time assistant, caretaker for 1/2 a season. GWS will get a good look at him in the hot seat.
Hird missing from the list. Elephant in the room pick, but no less likely.

Why would Dusty promote in Sydney when he can do it in Melbourne?

He would be a great Promotional tool for GWS in Sydney and that's why IF he came north I believe the AFL would push him to GWS

Much like another player the AFL tried to force there 9-years ago (that worked out well)

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
He would be a great Promotional tool for GWS in Sydney and that's why IF he came north I believe the AFL would push him to GWS

Much like another player the AFL tried to force there 9-years ago (that worked out well)

Promotion does not work in Sydney. Its like trying to sell to a salesman.

Short cuts get you nowwhere

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans

Their problem largely is to do with list management and they need to turn a lot over and rebuild

I would get Norths first pick and West Coasts pick by trading Coniglio and Kelly with salary dumps part paying their salarys at the new clubs.

I would Trade Haynes out, I would trade Greene out, and I would trade Whitfield out with salary dump part paying contracts to get good picks back in.

No chance Coniglio is worth a top 2 pick and Kelly probably not either

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Can we get Jaymie Graham added to the poll?

I would have thought Clarko was more aligned with a QLD move over NSW

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think they can go past Adem Yze, Hawks then Melbourne. The amount of experience and success he has had should put him at the top of the list.

Promotion does not work in Sydney. Its like trying to sell to a salesman.

Short cuts get you nowwhere

Typical Vic-centric opinion without substance.

Check out the Membership increase for us since Franklins arrival alone.

Not to mention increased sponsorships

A marquee player of Dusty's stature would indeed help grow the profile of GWS.

I don't think they can go past Adem Yze, Hawks then Melbourne. The amount of experience and success he has had should put him at the top of the list.
It was said at the time that the Hawks(Clarkson) weren’t upset to lose Yze.

One of strangest things that’s happened since he left is that his name gets thrown up by association(with Clarkson) as a senior coach in waiting.

If that’s on the back of something he’s responsible for at Melbourne, then so be it, otherwise he might just be another Brendan Bolton.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

No club will want Coniglio (and his wage). He's untradeable.

Kelly would only get a 2nd rounder at best nowadays. That horse has bolted.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
No club will want Coniglio (and his wage). He's untradeable.

Kelly would own get a 2nd rounder at best nowadays. That horse has bolted.

GWS would have to pay part of their salaries, like Collingwood with Treloar, it is the only way to get currency back. GWS would wear it because they would be going through intial rebuild anyway if they where smart

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
McVeigh gets a good chance to audition. Long time assistant, caretaker for 1/2 a season. GWS will get a good look at him in the hot seat.
Hird missing from the list. Elephant in the room pick, but no less likely.
Arghh Bombers fans.

Never change.

Last edited:
Back