Food for thought (or more accurately, food thoughts and inspirations)

Trying to make a classic morning tea, butter and vegemite on dry biscuits, and the only biscuits we have are Ritz. What an easy shattering, too soft, too sweet waste of time they are. Should be banned in this bloody country.
Salada>

What sushi do you guys get? I am afraid of trying new rolls, I usually get prawn and avo or chicken. I was thinking to try salmon but I am scared plz help

I recommend fugu sashimi (the one without avo).
That reminds me of the Simpsons episode I was watching with my mum and it’s when homer eats that sushi and my mum cried HAHA

What sushi do you guys get? I am afraid of trying new rolls, I usually get prawn and avo or chicken. I was thinking to try salmon but I am scared plz help
If you like tuna try the cooked tuna or spicy tuna with cucumber. Really nice. Also the veggie one is surprisingly good.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thai style red curry on the cooker...

IMG20220510164407.jpg

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will make a fresh cup, trying his tamping technique. I press much harder.

I have a sunbeam machine since I blew up a nemox (let lit) a few years back by forgetting to turn it off. But even so, I get good results. Grinder is a Breville Smart Grinder. Agreed, the most important component apart from beans.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will make a fresh cup, trying his tamping technique. I press much harder.

I have a sunbeam machine since I blew up a nemox (let lit) a few years back by forgetting to turn it off. But even so, I get good results. Grinder is a Breville Smart Grinder. Agreed, the most important component apart from beans.
Pressing the Tampa hard really only achieves what the first few seconds of 8 bar of steam pressure achieves. He 9s correct with the grind consistency, I reckon lots of other guides suggests to fine a grind. People thing they are pulling gushers from coarse grind when it's generally stale beans.

The breviles are quite acceptable machines but they do use domestic build componentry like nylon lines, plastic fittings and cabinets. That Silvia is all steel construction with a Parker solid 3 way valve and a solid brass 800ml boiler. Heavy use would see the breviles give 5 to 7 years service then not worth repairing, the Silvia will still be going strong after 15 years then replace the group head gasket and steam valve seal and they will go for another 15, literally can't kill em unless you let the boiler run dry.

Surely you could easily repair the lelit, they are solid machines basically copies of the rancilios. Prolly just needs element replaced.

Last edited:

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pressing the Tampa hard really only achieves what the first few seconds of 8 bar of steam pressure achieves. He 9s correct with the grind consistency, I reckon lots of other guides suggests to fine a grind. People thing they are pulling gushers from coarse grind when it's generally stale beans.

The breviles are quite acceptable machines but they do use domestic build componentry like nylon lines, plastic fittings and cabinets. That Silvia is all steel construction with a Parker solid 3 way valve and a solid brass 800ml boiler. Heavy use would see the breviles give 5 to 7 years service then not worth repairing, the Silvia will still be going strong after 15 years then replace the group head gasket and steam valve seal and they will go for another 15, literally can't kill em unless you let the boiler run dry.

Surely you could easily repair the lelit, they are solid machines basically copies of the rancilios. Prolly just needs element replaced.
It was repairable (boiler replacement) but I gave it away. It was a Combi with a bult in grinder. I bought the Sunbeam as an emergency replacement, and that got me into a lot of trouble let's say ;(

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It was repairable (boiler replacement) but I gave it away. It was a Combi with a bult in grinder. I bought the Sunbeam as an emergency replacement, and that got me into a lot of trouble let's say ;(
understand 100%

sometimes we answer to a greater authority.......

anyway after some water passes under the bridge keep your eye out for a used silvia, they are awesom emachines, and very robust, but there is no hurry if the sunbeam is fitting the bill.

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
understand 100%

sometimes we answer to a greater authority.......

anyway after some water passes under the bridge keep your eye out for a used silvia, they are awesom emachines, and very robust, but there is no hurry if the sunbeam is fitting the bill.
I occasionally have a look but not game to pull the trigger.

Not so long back I met somebody who had a Sunbeam that they said wasn't working - I offered to help fix it as they had already decided it was dead but they didn't want it - this was their excuse to buy a better machine. They gave it to me.

As one of the LEDs on my Sunbeam started flickering a while back (no issue with coffee making) I figured I'd pull the circuit board with the LEDs from their machine and put in mine but before I did that I had a poke around. They said their machine would not produce steam. Well, 5 minutes with a pin and some descaler clearing out the steam nozzle fixed it up perfectly. I called them to tell them it was fixed but the guy didn't want it back. So I'm actually using that machine - the other is hiding in the garage.

I'm watching over my shoulder as I type this..............

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I occasionally have a look but not game to pull the trigger.

Not so long back I met somebody who had a Sunbeam that they said wasn't working - I offered to help fix it as they had already decided it was dead but they didn't want it - this was their excuse to buy a better machine. They gave it to me.

As one of the LEDs on my Sunbeam started flickering a while back (no issue with coffee making) I figured I'd pull the circuit board with the LEDs from their machine and put in mine but before I did that I had a poke around. They said their machine would not produce steam. Well, 5 minutes with a pin and some descaler clearing out the steam nozzle fixed it up perfectly. I called them to tell them it was fixed but the guy didn't want it back. So I'm actually using that machine - the other is hiding in the garage.

I'm watching over my shoulder as I type this..............
Well looks like you did well reviving it. Iam copping the silence treatment tonight because the boss kept talking about how the chicken coup needs a lower perch. I finally bit and said so what your actually saying is that "I" have to put another perch in? Swmbo wasn't impressed.

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well looks like you did well reviving it. Iam copping the silence treatment tonight because the boss kept talking about how the chicken coup needs a lower perch. I finally bit and said so what your actually saying is that "I" have to put another perch in? Swmbo wasn't impressed.
Hope the couch is comfy!

Back