List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate we've won 8.5 games of our last 44, which is exactly two completed seasons. Caro is in with the AFL and she mentioned it, so as good as done. I doubt we'll win 3 more games this year. So around 10 wins from our last 57 games come season close. Good grief

It should be straight after our first but lets see. If we don't get one no one can ever get one again.
If it’s not straight after our first we should get 2 priority picks

Or extra rookie list spots also

Mate we've won 8.5 games of our last 44, which is exactly two completed seasons. Caro is in with the AFL and she mentioned it, so as good as done. I doubt we'll win 3 more games this year. So around 10 wins from our last 57 games come season close. Good grief

It should be straight after our first but lets see. If we don't get one no one can ever get one again.

I just don't trust the AFL to look after us. We've always been at logger heads with the big end of town, even prior to not accepting the gold coast move.

They'll come up with some wishy-washy option (like access to state league talent) as opposed to gifting us a pick inside the top 20. I'm a bit of a pessimist when it comes to AFL management though.

Souup

Aaron Hall- 12 months
Jed Anderson- delist
Josh Walker- will no doubt hit the triggers for a further year- lol sad but true
Kayne Turner- will probably get 2 years- oh well
Kyron Hayden- I'd give him another 12 months
Lachie Young- will probably get 2 years, is improving and we haven't many that average 16 odd disposals.
Matt McGuinness (R)- probably kept on.
Patrick Walker (R)- delist
Todd Goldstein- FA gone
Tom Lynch (R)- delist
Atu Bosenavulagi- delist

We will have two top 20 picks and Boomer Jnr to add to our list. Can't see us cutting deep this coming season of slaughter.

So that would be 3 from the senior probably need one more. Upgrade Hayden then pick up 3 rookies.

Not flash at all
I can't believe I'm saying this but Josh Walker hitting triggers isn't that big an issue for me. The issue is that he should be providing senior leadership in the VFL (a la Campbell) and getting a call up once or twice a year when injuries bite.

Otherwise mostly agree.
Jed is the only one I'm not sure on as I don't overly want to see us keep cutting all senior depth. If we aren't desperate for list positions and he stays fit I'd be content to see him stay.
Turner similar although I think 2 years is generous (as do you obviously).

I'm more concerned that we start to not have so many of these types running around in the AFL at the same time.

I can't believe I'm saying this but Josh Walker hitting triggers isn't that big an issue for me. The issue is that he should be providing senior leadership in the VFL (a la Campbell) and getting a call up once or twice a year when injuries bite.

Otherwise mostly agree.
Jed is the only one I'm not sure on as I don't overly want to see us keep cutting all senior depth. If we aren't desperate for list positions and he stays fit I'd be content to see him stay.
Turner similar although I think 2 years is generous (as do you obviously).

I'm more concerned that we start to not have so many of these types running around in the AFL at the same time.

I agree on Walker we desperately need some VFL assistance from senior footballers. It's embarrassing and no place for young men to learn their trade currently. He'd earn more money playing local footy than VFL unfortunately. So I guess he'll remain in the seniors as we have no on else.

Unless we trade....

Yeah you're probably right about Jed, as we won't have Goldy next year and so we will be weaker again. Did we give up pick ten for Jed- anyone?

Souup

Aaron Hall- 12 months
Jed Anderson- delist
Josh Walker- will no doubt hit the triggers for a further year- lol sad but true
Kayne Turner- will probably get 2 years- oh well
Kyron Hayden- I'd give him another 12 months
Lachie Young- will probably get 2 years, is improving and we haven't many that average 16 odd disposals.
Matt McGuinness (R)- probably kept on.
Patrick Walker (R)- delist
Todd Goldstein- FA gone
Tom Lynch (R)- delist
Atu Bosenavulagi- delist

We will have two top 20 picks and Boomer Jnr to add to our list. Can't see us cutting deep this coming season of slaughter.

So that would be 3 from the senior probably need one more. Upgrade Hayden then pick up 3 rookies.

Not flash at all
Why would you give Hayden 12 more months?

I know it isn’t popular line of thinking but Walker has been ok for me with a full backline and a team that doesn’t allow the ball to consistently fly in he’d be totally fine. I’d be interested if the scores to inside 50s ratio would be that far out of whack. Corrs been a biggest disappointment for me

I agree on Walker we desperately need some VFL assistance from senior footballers. It's embarrassing and no place for young men to learn their trade currently. He'd earn more money playing local footy than VFL unfortunately. So I guess he'll remain in the seniors as we have no on else.

Unless we trade....

Yeah you're probably right about Jed, as we won't have Goldy next year and so we will be weaker again. Did we give up pick ten for Jed- anyone?
The VFL is interesting. Is there an argument that we need to allocate more money outside the AFL team to attracting more senior talent. With such a young team any time a player performs well (Paul Curtis a perfect example) they are basically out and the team even weaker. Surely we need to keep some better structure around those kids even if AFL is the main game?

I know it isn’t popular line of thinking but Walker has been ok for me with a full backline and a team that doesn’t allow the ball to consistently fly in he’d be totally fine. I’d be interested if the scores to inside 50s ratio would be that far out of whack. Corrs been a biggest disappointment for me

I wouldn't be confident saying he'd be fine. For mine at this level he's been worked out by opponents - they allow him possession and sit off him, they basically use him against us now. To my eye his defending has dropped away as well.

Corr isn't fit I'd suggest. And well Hayden looks more likely than a few others is my reasoning.

Corr isn't fit I'd suggest. And well Hayden looks more likely than a few others is my reasoning.
Re Corr that is a very possible scenario but my point was more that walker whilst not a world beater is fine as a depth option for me and in a better circumstance would be a handy defender, and hasn’t earned the scorn he’s been given.

I’m interested what you see in Hayden (not you alone), and who you think he’s more likely than?

I just don't trust the AFL to look after us. We've always been at logger heads with the big end of town, even prior to not accepting the gold coast move.

They'll come up with some wishy-washy option (like access to state league talent) as opposed to gifting us a pick inside the top 20. I'm a bit of a pessimist when it comes to AFL management though.
I'm inclined to take the opposing view and think the pre listing of mature age talent could land us some very good talent. If given that opportunity in the last few years we could have had players like Leek Aleer, James Rowe, Jake Riccardi, McAdam, Kreuger. These players might not be superstars but would significantly improve our list profile and/or carry some trade value if we wished to on trade them. It is a significantly more likely option and then doesn't carry the sting in the tail when we are sitting pretty in the draft in a few years time and we get bumped down the list to accommodate another priority selection for our competitors. There is likely going to be some good 19 year olds at years end, so pre listing would be nothing to sneer at if we got it IMO. But you are a significantly better talent ID so you will have a more informed opinion on the players available at years end

I'm inclined to take the opposing view and think the pre listing of mature age talent could land us some very good talent. If given that opportunity in the last few years we could have had players like Leek Aleer, James Rowe, Jake Riccardi, McAdam, Kreuger. These players might not be superstars but would significantly improve our list profile and/or carry some trade value if we wished to on trade them. It is a significantly more likely option and then doesn't carry the sting in the tail when we are sitting pretty in the draft in a few years time and we get bumped down the list to accommodate another priority selection for our competitors. There is likely going to be some good 19 year olds at years end, so pre listing would be nothing to sneer at if we got it IMO. But you are a significantly better talent ID so you will have a more informed opinion on the players available at years end
It’s the ID of that senior talent that worries me.

I’m still sure we will pick up Hore in the MSD, and I’m concerned we would piss any pre list picks against the wall.

I think if the afl wanted to go down the mature player route, perhaps a mechanism like assisting a trade for a few experienced but contracted players (afl providing compo to a club for a decent player)

It’s the ID of that senior talent that worries me.

I’m still sure we will pick up Hore in the MSD, and I’m concerned we would piss any pre list picks against the wall.

I think if the afl wanted to go down the mature player route, perhaps a mechanism like assisting a trade for a few experienced but contracted players (afl providing compo to a club for a decent player)
We have had our junior ID questioned also. We could be given a priority pick and select Sam durdin. Each system has its pitfalls, and you can't provide a guarantee for it. I also think with our msd pick we will pick the best bolter we can grab.

Where are we getting the 2nd top 20 pick from?

I think we need to keep Anderson, his physicality ect is important for physically immature side. At minimum he is very very handy depth.

Walker would have to stay on, but hopefully he'll play VFL next year instead of AFL.

Young stays, he has shown enough this year.

Obviously the rest of the season to go but I can't see how you can make case to retain any of the following: Turner, Hayden, Atu, Lynch (lol) or P.Walker.

Goldy gone to FA

I'd happily pay out Polec's contract as he is contributing next to nothing. Considering Ziebell's output, it would be best he if hung them up too.

Archer would also want to show a bit more than 3 touches per game if he is going to get a gig on the main list.
Anderson should never be playing in the midfield, he should be playing as a pressure forward instead of Mahony. His turnovers kill that midfield.

Ziebell is cooked, but the list profile has backed us into a corner.

Polec agree, no point delaying the inevitable.

Also agree on Atu, P Walker etc. I guess how deep we can cut is going to be based on draft hand. It’s no good delisting Turner if he is going to be replaced by a pick late in the draft.

As for the Archer decision. It’s a terrible decision to take a player because his Dad played for the club. The kid is way off the pace and I am not sure why we wasted a list spot? I am all for feel good stories, but this is Joel Crocker all over again.

We have had our junior ID questioned also. We could be given a priority pick and select Sam durdin. Each system has its pitfalls, and you can't provide a guarantee for it
But I guess the difference is that your more likely to at least get some afl usefulness out of an ND pick (no guarantee of course) where as the probability plummets with senior state leaguers. I don’t really have that much faith in the re recruitment staff to nail it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mature bodies would no doubt help our list profile. But I think come the end of the year there will be enough list spots to take mature agers with our rookie list picks.

Elite talent is what is going to get us out of this hole, and the only way to get it (without trading for it) is with picks inside the top 25 (highest strike rate) and free agency. We aren't really going to be an option for most free agents because we aren't competitive.

Anderson should never be playing in the midfield, he should be playing as a pressure forward instead of Mahony. His turnovers kill that midfield.

Also agree on Atu, P Walker etc. I guess how deep we can cut is going to be based on draft hand. It’s no good delisting Turner if he is going to be replaced by a pick late in the draft.

As for the Archer decision. It’s a terrible decision to take a player because his Dad played for the club. The kid is way off the pace and I am not sure why we wasted a list spot? I am all for feel good stories, but this is Joel Crocker all over again.
I agree with Polec, it will be interesting to see it play out of course we are on the rack for his wage this and next year regardless but I don’t see him or the aflpa being happy with a release regardless of meeting the financial obligations.

Again the most effective way out of this is some form of assistance. I popped a thought bubble previously about the afl perhaps setting up a few compo picks for experienced mid aged contracted players from other clubs (obviously it would need oppo clubs to agree but we could shake a couple out.

It would depend on that as to whether we could cull further

Young
Hall
Bosensvulagi
Possibly McGuinness all others off the AFL list but with the VFL list and the real world would love to keep Anderson Turner and Walker on at the VFL level.
Pretty telling, club has been talking up McGuinness as a key defender. The guy has been in the system long enough, would still find shade in the shadow of a scare crow, and has a 1st year player kick 6 on him in the VFL. Sure you can't look at that one stat as fast uncontested ball is near impossible to defend. I think Luff is talking his own book up a bit there. All for giving the kid a go, but lets face it, he just doesn't have the physique of a KPP defender and never will. Simple question, how does he go 1on 1 with Larkey at training???? Has he even played on Larkey one on one at training??? If not, its downright delusional.

Pretty telling, club has been talking up McGuinness as a key defender. The guy has been in the system long enough, would still find shade in the shadow of a scare crow, and has a 1st year player kick 6 on him in the VFL. Sure you can't look at that one stat as fast uncontested ball is near impossible to defend. I think Luff is talking his own book up a bit there. All for giving the kid a go, but lets face it, he just doesn't have the physique of a KPP defender and never will. Simple question, how does he go 1on 1 with Larkey at training???? Has he even played on Larkey one on one at training??? If not, its downright delusional.
Yep, skinnier than comben. Tall mid or flanker at best

Mature bodies would no doubt help our list profile. But I think come the end of the year there will be enough list spots to take mature agers with our rookie list picks.

Elite talent is what is going to get us out of this hole, and the only way to get it (without trading for it) is with picks inside the top 25 (highest strike rate) and free agency. We aren't really going to be an option for most free agents because we aren't competitive.
I agree with that but with covid and missed footy there will be some good talent like Aleer slip through and bolt into the top 20

Unless we trade....

From memory it was pick 15, but we got 19 back for Basti

We better be 110% sure before taking Boomer's son in the draft.

Saw on twitter that pies are chasing Larkey ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back