Discussion Round 10 and 11, 2022 (Sir Doug Nicholls Indigenous Round) - Photos and Discussion

TheDoctor11

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers
ROUND 10

Friday, May 20

Carlton v Sydney (MRVL) (N)

Saturday, May 21
Geelong v Port Adelaide (GMHBA)
Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast (MARS)
North Melbourne v Melbourne (MRVL) (T)
Adelaide v St Kilda (AO) (N)
Richmond v Essendon (MCG) (N)

Sunday, May 22
Greater Western Sydney v West Coast (GS)
Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions (UTAS)
Fremantle v Collingwood (OS) (T)

----------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND 11

Friday, May 27

Sydney v Richmond (SCG) (N)

Saturday, May 28
Geelong v Adelaide (GMHBA)
Brisbane Lions v Greater Western Sydney (G)
Melbourne v Fremantle (MCG) (T)
West Coast v Western Bulldogs (PS) (N)
Gold Coast v Hawthorn (TIO) (N)

Sunday, May 29
St Kilda v North Melbourne (MRVL)
Collingwood v Carlton (MCG)
Port Adelaide v Essendon (AO) (T)

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Fremantle?, Geelong?, Gold Coast, West Coast
Geelong's seem to be last year's again according to their shop

Rebel_61525701_blue_hi-res__50936.1645485532.jpg

Unless if Freo's Indigenous is the clash as stated on their website, there's nothing from them yet. We should get something from West Coast and Gold Coast this week

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Geelong's seem to be last year's again according to their shop

Unless if Freo's Indigenous is the clash as stated on their website, there's nothing from them yet. We should get something from West Coast and Gold Coast this week

Yeah not uncommon. Sydney ran with the same for a couple of years. Other teams have often ran with the same multiple years.

Sammoll

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne City FC, Southampton FC
4A36CD08-6362-4BAF-836E-686EB2917866.jpeg

Essendon are by far the worst club in the league for avoiding clashes as the away team. Their last few away ANZAC games have been bad and now this for the dreamtime game. Idk how they’re allowed to keep getting away with it.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
I know they'll blame covid, but when you look at it Essendon really have cocked up here.

2019 - Richmond home game
2020 - Essendon home game
2021 - Essendon home game again, but they wore red expecting it to be away as per rotation (with Tigers in black)
2022 - Richmond home game, Essendon wearing black

I can understand 2021. They were caught off guard with the extended lead in time and wouldn't have been expecting to get a second consecutive home game (presumably in lieu of their 2020 home game being moved to Darwin), and both teams had the "wrong" kits. But surely Essendon would have known when designing the kits last year that they would be back to being the away team this year? Richmond managed to get it right. It's definitely a 'home' jumper for the Bombers too because the Dreamtime logo says 'Essendon v Richmond'.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
The problems Essendon and Richmond are having with their designs seem to stem from the one year the AFL changed the Home team designation.
(For a game that was played in Darwin and had no relevance who the Home team was anyway)
In order, this should be a year where Essendon wear a mostly Black jumper, and Richmond Yellow.

What seems to have gone under the radar is the length of time it takes to commission a piece of art, submit that to the AFL as a design and obtain approval, convert that artwork to a print ready state, then produce jumpers in that design with all the numbers of the players on the list.
The artwork for the one club I have from 2022 was approved in 2020, and the print ready artwork completed in 2021.
(That's approved in October 2020, not created. So at some time before October 2020, the artwork was actually painted.)

If Essendon has commissioned an Indigenous artist to produce art, they're going to use them.
In Richmond's case, they have their players (or players in conjunction with an artist) produce the artwork in more recent seasons.
This most likely means they can produce their artwork quicker, and therefore speed up the process.

I would suggest this would be the last time that the crossover will affect the Dreamtime game, as jumpers from now on will be designed with the Home team designation in mind.

Last edited:
One thing that I think is a bummer in the last couple of years is that because they've made Indigenous Round 2 weeks (which I do get because it allows everyone to have a game for it at home and many were wearing it after anyway), clubs aren't necessarily wearing theirs for both games, you get some matches where only 1 or even 0 Indigenous guernseys are being used, so there's no long the visual pop of the whole weekend.

Looking at Mero's little sheet there, and comparing it to the games, in Rd 10 I don't reckon Collingwood wear theirs in the Freo v Collingwood match up (every other Rd 10 match up looks ok since we know Richmond and Essendon will both wear theirs), and then in Rd 11 Bulldogs won't wear theirs against WC, Essendon won't wear theirs against Port (odd that Bombers don't get a home game in this run), and realistically Carlton probably shouldn't wear theirs against Collingwood but too be honest it's probably less clashy than their normal guernseys so who knows.

So it's not a bad amount but I still think it takes away from the look of the round a bit, not sure why either the AFL can't carefully schedule these rounds to avoid this, have teams pick certain colours for theirs that provide more contrast (like Narm and GWS have), or just have clubs produce 2 guernseys like Freo have forever.

ROUND 10 Predictions

Friday, May 20

Carlton: Indigenous/Home v Sydney: Indigenous/Home

Saturday, May 21
Geelong: Indigenous/White v Port Adelaide: Indigenous/Home
Western Bulldogs: Indigenous/Home v Gold Coast: Indigenous/Home
North Melbourne: Indigenous/Home v Melbourne: Indigenous/Home
Adelaide: Indigenous/Home v St Kilda: Indigenous/White
Richmond: Indigenous/Home v Essendon: Indigenous/White

Sunday, May 22
Greater Western Sydney: Indigenous/White v West Coast: Indigenous/Home
Hawthorn: Indigenous/Home v Brisbane Lions: Indigenous/White
Fremantle: Clash Indigenous/White v Collingwood: Indigenous/Home

s_wd6

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
ROUND 10 Predictions

Friday, May 20

Carlton: Indigenous/Home v Sydney: Indigenous/Home

Saturday, May 21
Geelong: Indigenous/White v Port Adelaide: Indigenous/Home
Western Bulldogs: Indigenous/Home v Gold Coast: Indigenous/Home
North Melbourne: Indigenous/Home v Melbourne: Indigenous/Home
Adelaide: Indigenous/Home v St Kilda: Indigenous/White
Richmond: Indigenous/Home v Essendon: Indigenous/White

Sunday, May 22
Greater Western Sydney: Indigenous/White v West Coast: Indigenous/Home
Hawthorn: Indigenous/Home v Brisbane Lions: Indigenous/White
Fremantle: Clash Indigenous/White v Collingwood: Indigenous/Home
Freo have stated they're wearing home indigenous this round and the white/clash indigenous v melb the following round

One thing that I think is a bummer in the last couple of years is that because they've made Indigenous Round 2 weeks (which I do get because it allows everyone to have a game for it at home and many were wearing it after anyway), clubs aren't necessarily wearing theirs for both games, you get some matches where only 1 or even 0 Indigenous guernseys are being used, so there's no long the visual pop of the whole weekend.

Geelong are the home team in both rounds 9 and 10 so someone is missing out using it at home.

The 2 rounds has never worked as there is always someone out of the 36 teams that cant use it at some point.

Bring it back to one round, if your the away team then allocate your own home game to use the jumper.

I also think with the amount of work put into them, they should be used more than one year at a time before a new one is commissioned.

Back