Whisk(e)y Thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's not good value at $200

If it was $70 it'd be a top seller.

It's grossly overpriced because it's a huge distillery and their "best" offering. It's like paying $200 for a brand name tshirt, not worth the price but it's still a nice shirt.
1- it’s not nor would it ever be $70. In reality we all judge whisky with price point in mind in spite of the fact it’s not a particularly good indicator of anything other than how expensive it is
2- personally (and it’s all subjective) if it was $70 and wasn’t Johnnie Walker I doubt it would be anywhere near a top seller list.

People that don’t drink or know a lot about whisky buy it (it’s actually already a top seller at $200) because of brand recognition, I know that before I knew much about whisky I wanted a bottle of blue label and most people are the same.
Even as Johnnie Walker at $70 there are miles better alternatives at or around that price point (the naked grouse, dimple, a few teeling varieties).

Essentially it sells well at $200 because people like brands they know and Johnnie markets blue label as premium. Those in the know wouldn’t spend $200 on it and rate much much cheaper whiskies much much better.

Last edited:
055EB62A-578E-4CEC-A50D-A68583ADB359.jpeg

The Balvenie 12 year is my go-to.

Glen Grant if I have someone over that wants to have a taste.

Bought the Macallan as a gift to myself but I’m not massive on it, not sure what it is that I don’t like but I’m not a fan.

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's not good value at $200

If it was $70 it'd be a top seller.

It's grossly overpriced because it's a huge distillery and their "best" offering. It's like paying $200 for a brand name tshirt, not worth the price but it's still a nice shirt.

I'd value the liquid in the bottle around $55. A nice blended Scotch but I'd still prefer to spend a bit more on a quality single malt.

Kilchoman is one I highly recommend to anyone to enjoys Islay whiskies. Machir Bay is excellent and their cask strength is one of the best whiskies I've ever had.

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Starward doing a collab with Yalumbra (spelling?) wines. Looks a winner, $150 for a bottle aged in yalumbra casks looks pretty good value.

EDIT for clarification:

Octavius release. Can buy a twin pack of the wine & whisky for $300 - great value. The wine usually retails around the $160 mark so combined with the whisky it’s a great value proposition.

Last edited:
Have recently finished the Talisker 25 years.

it was divine. Not sure how i go back to the 10yrs now.

For me a Talisker 10 years is a great scotch and its roughness reminds you you're actually drinking scotch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Personally not a huge fan of the talisker stuff. As mentioned it’s not at all smooth, great flavor profile though.

I have about 30 whiskeys and about 8 are currently open. One is the Talisker that I opened about 12 months ago and still three quarters full, just not an overly enjoyable peated whiskey at all.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Really? Lagavulin 16, Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10, anything from Octomore.
Lagvullin is close to Talisker. Thats my second choice. Recently had the nick offerman lagvullin in guiness casks which was an interesting take.

Talisker is better though.

The other two are way off. I couldnt even finish the ardbeg. Still half full in my liquer cabinet. laphroaig wasnt much better. I ended up blending it with baileys because i found it too boring.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lagvullin is close to Talisker. Thats my second choice. Recently had the nick offerman lagvullin in guiness casks which was an interesting take.

The other two are way off. I couldnt even finish the ardbeg. Still half full in my liquer cabinet. laphroaig wasnt much better. I ended up blending it with baileys because i found it too boring.
Personally I disagree but taste is subjective so fair play to you BUT blended with baileys…

No mate, absolutely the * not.

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide

Each to their own, that's what's so good about whiskey, you can find one to suit your tastes and there's no wrong answers, but man I couldn't finish my nip of Talisker a few weeks back, just a dirty ashtray taste

Remove this Banner Ad

Back