Review Dogs beat Pies 99-51

Dale 29 touches at 93%, absolutely ridiculous going at that sort of DE% considering he almost exclusively kicks and also chooses the most difficult target every. Single. Time.

Underrated his ability to ride a tackle and get an effective handball out under pressure too, this bloke is turning into an absolute superstar.

To think I was happy to ship him off for Stephenson a couple of years back 😂🤦‍♂️

Plenty were willing to ship him off for even less

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
Is anyone else worried about Caleb Daniel?

His kicking has fallen off, he's getting caught out with the ball, making poor decisions, and is again being brushed aside too easily.

I'd be tempted to drop him if it wasn't for Williams somehow playing worse and our injuries.
I’ve been saying that for weeks now IM, something ain’t right? I wonder if it’s contract status related?.

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’ve been saying that for weeks now IM, something ain’t right? I wonder if it’s contract status related?.
I'd play him on a wing. Get him out of the backline now that Dale is a bona fide gun and Richards is emerging. We've been crying out for someone to lock down the wing opposite Hunter, so why not Daniel. He has all the same attributes as Hunter, but is a better kick.

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd play him on a wing. Get him out of the backline now that Dale is a bona fide gun and Richards is emerging. We've been crying out for someone to lock down the wing opposite Hunter, so why not Daniel. He has all the same attributes as Hunter, but is a better kick.

Daniel on one wing, Williams on the other. I like it, get them involved in the game. Regain some form.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Daniel is slow and his kicks travel slowly. Not what you want from a wing. Hes too small to compete on the ball.

Like someone said, he is great at mopping up and getting the ball into a teammates hands within 35m.

You would think those strengths would translate to a crumbing forward role, where loopy long kicks wouldnt matter as long as they are straight.

But who is going to replace him in defence this year?

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Daniel is slow and his kicks travel slowly. Not what you want from a wing. Hes too small to compete on the ball.

Like someone said, he is great at mopping up and getting the ball into a teammates hands within 35m.

You would think those strengths would translate to a crumbing forward role, where loopy long kicks wouldnt matter as long as they are straight.

But who is going to replace him in defence this year?
How is that different to Hunter? Who is a pretty effective winger

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Daniel is not strong overhead, doesn't have a long penetrating kick, doesn't cover ridiculous ground, and isn't quick. I can't see him being successful in that wide open space on the wing when we already have Hunter there. He really shines when working his way through congestion, picking up a loose ball and pulling off a high risk, high reward kick. Got to be on a flank imo, whether that be down back or up forward. Assuming Hunter does come back with no dramas, I'd rather see someone with line breaking pace, and I think the club does too considering we've trialled JJ, Richards, Dale, VDM at various times in that spot

Caleb Daniel gets a bad rap.

Over his career he has averaged one Contested Mark every 13 games. Indeed last year he averaged one every five games.

FACT.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Some good discussion here and I'm amenable to most of it.

Caleb lives and dies by his effective short kicking. He's an okay long kick, great at getting a ground ball, has decent hands and excellent endurance. But otherwise he's small, short, medium paced and has poor tackle technique.

His weapon is his brain and his short kicking. Both have failed him this year and the rest doesn't add up to a very effective AFL footballer especially defensively.

He needs a new role forward with stints on ball badly. His time as a defender should be up. He also desperately needs to get stronger, the manner in which he gets brushed aside is back to embarrassing.

I can't agree that Daniel is slow at all. Not overly quick, but average if not slightly above. His kicking has as much or more penetration than any of the others that have played the wing this year including Hunter. I haven't been sold on him as a wingman in the past either, but some of the reasons posted here don't really make sense to me.

I can't agree that Daniel is slow at all. Not overly quick, but average if not slightly above. His kicking has as much or more penetration than any of the others that have played the wing this year including Hunter. I haven't been sold on him as a wingman in the past either, but some of the reasons posted here don't really make sense to me.
He’s kicked goals from 50 a couple of times. Most of his kicks are measured and come off a lot more often than not. I think his perceived slightly lower form is more to do with team chemistry; the more experienced players are in tune with his thinking and can anticipate his moves, whereas the newer players may not be where he expects them to be or doing what he wants them to be doing.

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some good discussion here and I'm amenable to most of it.

Caleb lives and dies by his effective short kicking. He's an okay long kick, great at getting a ground ball, has decent hands and excellent endurance. But otherwise he's small, short, medium paced and has poor tackle technique.

His weapon is his brain and his short kicking. Both have failed him this year and the rest doesn't add up to a very effective AFL footballer especially defensively.

He needs a new role forward with stints on ball badly. His time as a defender should be up. He also desperately needs to get stronger, the manner in which he gets brushed aside is back to embarrassing.
I agree with all of this... However what we ask our wingers to do really should suit his skillset. We ask the wingers to cover lots of ground, plug defensive holes in our zone and provide an outlet option when we have the ball. He's got the endurance and does run hard defensively, he already knows how to find space and be an outlet option

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d be fine with both Hunter & Daniel playing defensive wing roles, dropping back to help the defence. Using their big tanks to repeatedly provide an outlet. Then I’d want a bit more pace & height in the offensive wing role - I.e Williams and JJ maybe someone like Buku when we have more talls available for selection up forward

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm not sure that a traditional field position should necessarily be tied to his role. Perhaps role needs to be redefined in his case.

For example, he should be one handball or a 15m kick away from a team mate between the centreline and our defensive 50 arc when we're in possession. That could be in the middle of the ground, left wing or right wing, forward of the ball or behind the ball. What position is that?

And why? Because he has vision, generally makes good decisions and can kick off both feet. But does that mean he starts in defence. I'd prefer not, but he'd need to be in a place where he could get to that position relatively quickly, primarily to assist transition from defense to attack, which against the better teams, is a position we'll find ourselves in at least half of the time.

It depends on where where we're starting from. At a CB and if he's on the ground, I'm not in favour of him starting in the defensive arc. Fwd of the ball would be my preference, but not so far fwd that he can't get back to be an option for a quick rebound. If we win the ball, those same skills can be used to hit a target in fwd arc ( probably a leading one).

Watching Jordan de Goey basically play on through CD on the mark, which resulted in the Lipinski goal, was a reminder of what we give up when we play Daniel. On balance I still want him in the team, but I do think it’s time for him to go forward where we can make the most of his considerable strengths and dilute his weaknesses. Crumbing forward is arguably the hardest position on the ground and at his height his opponent will zone off to help guard Naughty and Co, but his hands and skills should see him punish teams when he gets any time and space.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
I'd be worried about CD in the forward line. His inability to lay any kind of effective tackle would see our opposition exit their D50 way too easily. We need guys like Naughton, Weightman and Vandermeer (when he's at his best) who can apply serious pressure and cause forward half turnovers for us. Opposition defenders will just brush Caleb aside and walk the ball out. Our gameplan is heavily dependant on us being able to lock the ball in our front half.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd be worried about CD in the forward line. His inability to lay any kind of effective tackle would see our opposition exit their D50 way too easily. We need guys like Naughton, Weightman and Vandermeer (when he's at his best) who can apply serious pressure and cause forward half turnovers for us. Opposition defenders will just brush Caleb aside and walk the ball out. Our gameplan is heavily dependant on us being able to lock the ball in our front half.

I can’t see a spot for Daniel in our team. Yes I know he plays every week BUT now we have Richards and Dale doing a great job, I don’t see the need for Daniel.

I would move him to wing but he is too slow and I agree that we can’t have him forward, as he can’t tackle or keep up with the oppositions rebounders.

So much of his game is great but he is just missing a key attribute that makes him not suited to any particular role.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Caleb Daniel gets a bad rap.

Over his career he has averaged one Contested Mark every 13 games. Indeed last year he averaged one every five games.

FACT.

Thats fine, but says nothing about how many contested marks he lost, or how many of those he lost resulted in scores.

For me Daniel is a 100% a midfielder and should be played around the contest where there is the least chance of having to engage marking contest.

Am I going crazy? Our 2020 best and fairest player (and third in 2021) suddenly can’t kick, can’t mark, can’t run, can’t tackle, should be moved away from his best position, should be traded, offloaded, offered a reduced contract… Have you all lost your tiny minds?

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Am I going crazy? Our 2020 best and fairest player (and third in 2021) suddenly can’t kick, can’t mark, can’t run, can’t tackle, should be moved away from his best position, should be traded, offloaded, offered a reduced contract… Have you all lost your tiny minds?

I thought the exact same thing.

Losing has really cooked some of our supporters perceptions.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I agree with all of this... However what we ask our wingers to do really should suit his skillset. We ask the wingers to cover lots of ground, plug defensive holes in our zone and provide an outlet option when we have the ball. He's got the endurance and does run hard defensively, he already knows how to find space and be an outlet option
I can get on board with him playing the role as an undersized Hunter with better foot skills.

I just really struggle with his lack of strength this far into his career.

Back