Moved Thread If Tasmania gets the 19th license, what state or territory would you like to see team 20 based in?

If Tasmania gets the 19th licence, what state or territory would you like to see team 20 based in?

• WA

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • SA

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • NSW

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • ACT

Votes: 50 35.5%
  • VIC

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • QLD

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • NT

Votes: 43 30.5%
  • TAS

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm opposed to any more teams, there's not enough good players for 18 teams let alone 20. The talent pool is spread thinly enough as it is. Not opposed to a team in Tassie, the AFL should be making a relocation offer to a financially struggling Melbourne based club which is too attractive to refuse.
How come there is not enough talent to support 18 teams today, when more than 40 years ago there was talent that could support 30 teams?

• Tas should get the 17th license
  • Country footy gets the 18th license (1)
  • The two least successful Melbourne teams are relegated to a reconstituted VFA
  • Thereafter a promotion/relegation system is used for Vic clubs between the VFA and AFL. (2)

(1) Country footy has long been screwed by the AFL and Covid has compounded the challenges of maintaining footy and netball clubs and comps. Even the best juniors are identified by wealthy pte schools and removed to live in capital cities on scholarships and other slings. (taxpayer funded to boot when assistance to the wealthiest schools is accounted for)

There is an unmined Country-City rivalry that could help drive national country support for a national team representing the Bush. Tentatively they could be called something like the Drovers and play a minimum 12 'home' games in country centres in WA, SA and Vic. Such a team would be well placed to get mining and bush industry sponsorship. Their training base would imo need to be in WA or SA.

Players would receive a COLA type allowance and sign on fees. They would have first access to country kids.

(2) A revitalised VFA and the promotion/relegation system would be attractive to broadcasters and help attract crowds. Initially a maximum of 8 Clubs would be invited - the two relegated AFL teams plus for arguments sake, Port M, Willi, Casey, Box Hill, Frankston and a North Eastern suburbs team.

The Premier is promoted and the lowest ranked Melbourne team in the AFL each season is relegated.

19 teams is perfect number.
21 game season means play everyone once and then 1 extra against each group of 6 on the ladder excluding yourself.
Thursday night every week with a friday night team feom week before playing the bye team from week before.
Perfect.
You actually get it. I would not say it is perfect, but 19 despite a team forced to have a bye each round by odd numbers, works in well for the broadcasters wants of more Thursday night football. Fixture much easier to do too as you said.

I've read suggestions of a 'Northern Australia' team which would be based in Darwin but would recruit from the NT, North Queensland (Cairns, Townsville) and Northern WA (Broome, Derby) and play a few home games a year in North QLD/WA while playing the majority of their home games in Darwin. The team would have a heavy focus on indigenous culture. However, the logistics of that option sound very complicated...

Canberra makes the most sense in my head. Already got a decent AFL following, half a million population, strong footy heartland between Canberra and the VIC border, should be able to easily petition for and receive government funding, historic oval stadium already exists, short flight time for the 12 teams based in VIC/NSW, convenient time zone for broadcasters etc.

Albury should get a team.

It is far enough from Sydney

Closer to Melbourne so there is not too much travel

When is Bendigo and Ballart getting teams?

Give it to a city/region that actually wants a team.

Gold Coast and Western Sydney have teams because the AFL wanted them to. Tassie is lobbying for a team because they want one.
While you could argue there was no great desire for the Gold Coast region to have an AFL team, it was more the way the AFL went about it which has been a failure.

I've always been of the belief that the AFL missed the mark by not supporting a bid by the Southport Sharks who have not only been a success on the field for many years, but off the field as well with a large membership base and facilities. Instead they chose to manufacture a franchise out of thin air. It was a poor decision in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with 19 teams - if you wanted to you could go to an 18 round season, 9 home / 9 away games.

Otherwise Canberra is the obvious one for me, but as mentioned a lot of the GWS members come from Canberra. But honestly to grow the Giants in Western Sydney, they need to playing every 2nd week there, and get people used to going along.

What about this:

Was that all made up?

It's literally in the article:

The biggest hurdle facing a third WA-based team, is the need for it to be economically and financially viable. Dr. Andrew Williams a senior economics lecturer at the University of Western Australia believes a simple mathematical assessment of WA's population with three teams, and Victoria's population with 10 teams, displays economic feasibility.

The bigger economic concern however, would be getting resources and supporters behind a new team.

"If you're simply diluting what already exists for two teams between three, then there is no real economic benefit. It's about expanding the pie vs just having the same pie and splitting it three ways instead of two," Dr Williams said.

You wrote that 'WA doesn't want a third team', clearly this is not true, that's the point.

According to who? Some random that wrote an article 6 years ago?

How come there is not enough talent to support 18 teams today, when more than 40 years ago there was talent that could support 30 teams?
The whole talent argument is BS. what are they comparing it to? There is only one tier one football league, that is guaranteed to get the best players.

With more parts of the country playing and modern professionalism there has never been more talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst it might be great to have an NT team for a truly national competition, its entire population is roughly 250,000, with Darwin at about 150,000. If it's taken the AFL this long to pull its finger out with regards to Tasmania, I expect it'll take 50 years before we see a team from NT

After 10 years in western Sydney, GWS is only drawing about 10k locals per home game and about 30/40k TV viewers in that market. If that is sustainable for them, it is hard to see why the same wouldn’t be the case for an NT team.

The GC and GwS experiment has shown the size of the markets of the 19th or 20th team really don’t matter, so long as the TV numbers for the 10th game are close enough to the numbers the existing 9 get (much like it was going from 8 to 9 games per week). It would be beyond hilarious if 7 had a big part in those locations being selected and they end up losing the TV rights. They paid all that money for the additional game for the last 10 years, only to get an 40k extra viewers in those markets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 teams would be ideal, one extra in TAS and NT but the latter sounds very unviable but the likes of McLeod are fighting to make it a logistical possibility. Move GWS to Canberra and every state/territory has a team. 22 rounds, everyone plays each other once and 3 return games, 1 each from 1-6, 7-13, and 14-20.

None. 19 teams is almost perfect for the fixture.

Each team plays each other once, 9 home and 9 away, with a reverse fixture the following year.
This provides a much fairer fixture as there will be less issues re: Who has to travel x times or how many games Vic teams play at MCG/Marvel. It also means oddities like Fremantle v Essendon always being played in Perth will cease to be.

Less games? Won't broadcasters be upset?
I don't see this as being as issue for anyone other than Foxtel. Nobody is going to miss the 4.10pm Saturday or 6.20pm Sunday games are they? They'd be saving money on staffing TBH. And we counter this because...

22 or 23 rounds will mean flexible fixtures.
This means the AFL can schedule the real prime time games IN PRIMETIME. With teams getting byes before/after there wont be any issues in getting the better games moved around to ensure maximum exposure. Byes also lead us to...

Players get more rest.
Star players not having to run out an extra 3-4 games a year means they should be fresher for longer. Keeping the marquee players in the game has always been the aim. Having fresh players will also mean...

We can go to a top 10 for finals.
I'm not a huge fan of this but it would be a necessary evil. The double chance would be gone so home ground advantage is what we are playing for.

Week 1 -
8v9
7v10

Week 2 -
1 v 8/9
4 v 5
---
2 v 7/10
3 v 6

Week 3 -
1 v 4
2 v 3

Week 4 -
1 v 2

I'd also be pushing really hard for team based streaming options. Would need more data on people's viewing habits but a cheaper ($5-$8 a month?) option to just get your team's games on your phone/laptop/smart TV with audio options ala the AFL app would be something to start investigating.

The whole talent argument is BS. what are they comparing it to? There is only one tier one football league, that is guaranteed to get the best players.

With more parts of the country playing and modern professionalism there has never been more talent
Yes people enjoy their footy. Which ever level. And we always will have players much better than others. So what? Long as it’s enjoyable.

What might turn people away these days is all the rule changes.

I've read suggestions of a 'Northern Australia' team which would be based in Darwin but would recruit from the NT, North Queensland (Cairns, Townsville) and Northern WA (Broome, Derby) and play a few home games a year in North QLD/WA while playing the majority of their home games in Darwin. The team would have a heavy focus on indigenous culture. However, the logistics of that option sound very complicated...

Canberra makes the most sense in my head. Already got a decent AFL following, half a million population, strong footy heartland between Canberra and the VIC border, should be able to easily petition for and receive government funding, historic oval stadium already exists, short flight time for the 12 teams based in VIC/NSW, convenient time zone for broadcasters etc.
I'm very much in favour of a team in Darwin but the above wouldn't work. One of the main challenges for a club there will be player retention due to the location. Imagine how much harder that's going to be when you spend only 5 or 6 weeks of your season in your new home base and the rest of the year in the southern states or in extremely isolated country towns up north. Very few are going to want to sign up for that.

A team based in Darwin (with a game or two down in Alice Springs) is at least manageable as you can attract people who will enjoy the tropical and laid back environment of Darwin, plus you'll have a lot of indigenous players a lot more comfortable in that environment.

18 teams stay. 3 Victorian teams move out to the states/territories without teams.

North to Tassie
WB to Canberra
Geel to NT
If I were gonna relocate to keep it to 18 teams, I'd go North to Tassie, Giants to Canberra, Dogs to NT. But NT needs the infrastructure to get the players used to colder conditions during the season and training in cooler pre-season conditions. I'm not sure player retention would be too big of a problem for the NT if it's mostly a local Indigenous team with well-funded academy development support and extra cap room to attract older players that are more interested in the $$$ before retirement than the party lifestyle younger players take into account.

edit: club songs would need to change, bulldogs one is the easiest fix, "sons of the west" and "we're the team of the mighty west" change west to north and name to "the bulldogs."

Last edited:
Back