2022 All Aus Predictions and Rolling teams

GordonBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Whilst Weiters has been great this year, is it strange that I feel he was more deserving in both 2020 ang 2021?

Maybe cause we averaged 65+ opposition inside 50? We needed him more. I saw more of him?

Defenitely worthy of an AA, but I wouldn't argue a Dockers, Dees and Lions fans for pushing their full backs case. I think May, Pearce, Adams all as worthy.

I think Sicily can't be considered as he was easily defeated last week. None of the 4 players mentioned above have.

Similar why I'm not considering Andrews either.

Can't agree with Buddy over Curnow - he has been the best forward in the comp for the last 5-6 rounds. Docherty has been close to the best rebounding defender in the comp since his return. Weitering I'm not so sure on and he's vulnerable (would have Pearce in over him), and Mundy wouldn't even be close to the squad. Has come back pretty sub par compared to his elite season last year. Brayshaw, Acres and Serong are the main guys at Freo now.

Imagine advocating for Buddy over Curnow and using a stat the latter is ahead in to try and prove it. Classic! :tearsofjoy:

Whilst Weiters has been great this year, is it strange that I feel he was more deserving in both 2020 ang 2021?

Maybe cause we averaged 65+ opposition inside 50? We needed him more. I saw more of him?

Defenitely worthy of an AA, but I wouldn't argue a Dockers, Dees and Lions fans for pushing their full backs case. I think May, Pearce, Adams all as worthy.

I think Sicily can't be considered as he was easily defeated last week. None of the 4 players mentioned above have.

Similar why I'm not considering Andrews either.
The loss of Jones likely isn't helping but he's not moving as freely as he has in the past. Looks like he's carrying an injury.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think Sicily can't be considered as he was easily defeated last week.

I don't think this assessment is completely fair.

Firstly, both coaches (rightly) gave Sicily votes last week - he was the 4th highest rated player on the ground (and the only Hawk to get votes). I don't think you can be considered your sides best player by both coaches and that one performance somehow eliminate you from contention for a season based award.

Yes, Tom Lynch kicked 4 goals but did you watch the game?

Richmond absolutely dominated the midfield. They had well over 20 more inside 50's and won an unprecedented 75% (23 out of 31) of the centre clearances. Lynch was targetted the vast majority of the time. He is in career best form and is comfortably leading the Coleman medal. He is also 12 cm taller than Sicily!, who is being asked to play a role as a full back when he is suited far more to the Tom Stewart style role as a mid sized defender.

Despite this, Sicily and Lynch had 11 one on one contests and Lynch won only 2 of them! (that loss percentage for Sicily is less than the average of all of your preferred FB candidates). Sicily had 12 spoils against Richmond (only 1 player in the comp averages that per game). Despite all the spoils, he also had 8 intercept possessions (again, a stat he comfortably leads all of your preferred candidates in). He also had 650 m gained (easily the most on ground) and had multiple score involvements from full back! He is also the #1 defender for coaches votes.

Regardless of his dominant stats (and the eye test), I don't think individuals should be eliminated from a season based award on the back of one game in general. But to eliminate someone on the back of a game where the coaches considered him his teams best player (and 4th best on ground) seems outlandish to me.

Firstly, both coaches (rightly) gave Sicily votes last week - he was the 4th highest rated player on the ground (and the only Hawk to get votes). I don't think you can be considered your sides best player by both coaches and that one performance somehow eliminate you from contention for a season based award.

Richmond absolutely dominated the midfield. They had well over 20 more inside 50's and won an unprecedented 75% (23 out of 31) of the centre clearances. Lynch was targetted the vast majority of the time. He is in career best form and is comfortably leading the Coleman medal. He is also 12 cm taller than Sicily!, who is being asked to play a role as a full back when he is suited far more to the Tom Stewart style role as a mid sized defender.

Despite this, Sicily and Lynch had 11 one on one contests and Lynch won only 2 of them! (that loss percentage for Sicily is less than the average of all of your preferred FB candidates). Sicily had 12 spoils against Richmond (only 1 player in the comp averages that per game). Despite all the spoils, he also had 8 intercept possessions (again, a stat he comfortably leads all of your preferred candidates in). He also had 650 m gained (easily the most on ground) and had multiple score involvements from full back! He is also the #1 defender for coaches votes.

Regardless of his dominant stats (and the eye test), I don't think individuals should be eliminated from a season based award on the back of one game in general. But to eliminate someone on the back of a game where the coaches considered him his teams best player (and 4th best on ground) seems outlandish to me.

It was not Knights v Vanda but it was a terrific contest between two very good players. Of course a player should not be eliminated for one poor week and Sicily was bloody good.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Youre using stats in defence of Sicily against someone who just wants his own player AA regardless of any evidence.

Even though there is zero chance they are competing for the same spot on the AA list.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Ok guys let’s compare these 2 players stats:

Player A is averaging 30.3 disposals, 1 goal and 9.2 score involvements a game

Player B is averaging 21.3 disposals, 2 goals, 9 score involvements a game

Player A is a lock for AA and Player B apparently isn’t even in the discussion. Which player would you prefer?

Hint. Player A is from the Dees and Player B is from the Tigers. Let’s see if you guys can guess who they are and should Player B be considered for AA selection, if not why not?

Player A is a lock for AA and Player B apparently isn’t even in the discussion. Which player would you prefer?

Hint. Player A is from the Dees and Player B is from the Tigers. Let’s see if you guys can guess who they are and should Player B be considered for AA selection, if not why not?
Player B has played 1/3 of the games so far.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Player B has played 1/3 of the games so far.

And is rusty af, but you didn’t answer my full question. What type of player in terms of those stats would you prefer in your team. I’d pick player B every day, more damaging with the ball.

And is rusty af, but you didn’t answer my full question. What type of player in terms of those stats would you prefer in your team. I’d pick player B every day, more damaging with the ball.
Doesn't matter. AA is about who the best performed players are across the year. He's missed 2/3 of the season so far.

He might get into the AA side but the threshold for a 15/16 game season is basically Gary junior in 2015 or Toby Greene last year where they not only averaged more in the relevant stats but were neck and neck with the totals as well.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Doesn't matter. AA is about who the best performed players are across the year. He's missed 2/3 of the season so far.

He might get into the AA side but the threshold for a 15/16 game season is basically Gary junior in 2015 or Toby Greene last year where they not only averaged more in the relevant stats but were neck and neck with the totals as well.

Not 2/3 of the season that’s the first 9 rounds. 6 of 22 games missed. So 1/4 of the season he has missed. Will probably play for all of the rest so he has time imo.

Not 2/3 of the season that’s the first 9 rounds. 6 of 22 games missed. So 1/4 of the season he has missed. Will probably play for all of the rest so he has time imo.
Hence the "so far". That's why he's not currently in AA consideration.

And what happens if he does his hammy in the first quarter of the dreamtime game? Sure, he might play the next 13 games, but he might hit a bloke or get injured or anything.

As I said, he could get there. However as I said, the threshold for making it off 15 or 16 games is very high. He's certainly one of the few that can get there though.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Hence the "so far". That's why he's not currently in AA consideration.

And what happens if he does his hammy in the first quarter of the dreamtime game? Sure, he might play the next 13 games, but he might hit a bloke or get injured or anything.

As I said, he could get there. However as I said, the threshold for making it off 15 or 16 games is very high. He's certainly one of the few that can get there though.

Yeah nah misread it, you’re right. Who knows maybe he’s gets injured. He pretty durable though and has had a big rest.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Hint:

Don’t compare two players who’s roles, judging by their statistics, are completely different, and expect people to make a decision based solely on statistics

It IS possible for you to let a thread go through to the keeper without trying to convert everyone to the cult of Richmond

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Also, can someone with a better vocabulary than me, explain that someone being more damaging per possession, doesn’t make them more damaging as a player

Someone who has a score involvement every two touches, but only gets 4 touches a game, is not more damaging than a player who has a score involvement every 5 touches, but gets 30 touches a game.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Hint:

Don’t compare two players who’s roles, judging by their statistics, are completely different, and expect people to make a decision based solely on statistics

It IS possible for you to let a thread go through to the keeper without trying to convert everyone to the cult of Richmond

This is an AA thread man. My opinion is relevant to this topic. Are people not meant to argue their players deserve to be in the squad or something?

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Also, can someone with a better vocabulary than me, explain that someone being more damaging per possession, doesn’t make them more damaging as a player

Someone who has a score involvement every two touches, but only gets 4 touches a game, is not more damaging than a player who has a score involvement every 5 touches, but gets 30 touches a game.

I think it’s pretty obvious somebody averaging double the amount of goals than the other guy is a more damaging player when you consider that the score involvements are the same as well. What metric do you use then?

BringFevBack2021

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton

What's rich about this is that Petracca is leading the comp in score involvements per game. He's obviously deserving of an AA spot. Dusty may well be too, but it's a small sample size.

There are so many statistics you can use to make arguments about players being the best in their individual categories. George Hewett is leading Centre Clearances this season with 33. He's also missed two games of footy. Does that make him the best inside midfielder?

Of rucks with over 100 hitouts, TDK has the highest Hitout to Advantage % - therefore, he is more damaging per hitout. However, he gets far less hitouts than the premier ruckman of the comp, so clearly his overall influence on a game is less.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I think it’s pretty obvious somebody averaging double the amount of goals than the other guy is a more damaging player when you consider that the score involvements are the same as well. What metric do you use then?

I think it’s pretty obvious that they’re not.

All that is obvious is that one kicks more goals than the other.

The first player may pick up half his touches intercepting attacking plays from the other team, winning clearances off a half back line, winning the ball out of the centre, extracting contested ball.

Using your logic Tom Hawkins and Josh Kennedy have been the two most damaging players in the entire competition for a decade considering they have kicked more goals than anyone and have done it from less touches.

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
FOX FOOTY’S EARLY-SEASON ALL-AUSTRALIAN TEAM
B: Sam Docherty (Carl), Steven May (Melb), James Sicily (Haw)

HB: Jayden Short (Rich), Jacob Weitering (Carl), Tom Stewart (Geel)

C: Ed Langdon (Melb), Patrick Cripps (C) (Carl), Blake Acres (Frem)

HF: Isaac Heeney, (Syd) Tom Hawkins (Geel), Charlie Curnow (Carl)

F: Charlie Cameron (Bris), Tom Lynch (Rich), Shai Bolton (Rich)

R: Max Gawn (VC) (Melb), Lachie Neale (Bris), Christian Petracca (Melb)

INT: Andrew Brayshaw (Frem), Clayton Oliver (Melb), Zac Bailey (Bris), Jack Sinclair (STK)

Having a very overrated season. A couple of good games combined with a number of games where he goes MIA.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
I think it’s pretty obvious that they’re not.

All that is obvious is that one kicks more goals than the other.

The first player may pick up half his touches intercepting attacking plays from the other team, winning clearances off a half back line, winning the ball out of the centre, extracting contested ball.

Using your logic Tom Hawkins and Josh Kennedy have been the two most damaging players in the entire competition for a decade considering they have kicked more goals than anyone and have done it from less touches.

Well then no point comparing players. Let’s remove the word damaging from our vocabulary and get rid of every award because we have no idea how damaging a player is compared to another.

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Callum Wilkie has to be a chance. Has only conceded multiple goals once for the season even after manning the follwing.

DeGoey
Fristch
Jeremy Cameron
Walters
Toby Green
Jack Gunston

Back