The on topic thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Government funding is to cover the cost of running the sport and infrastructure to support it.

It shouldn't come into the equation at all as far as pay goes.

You think the mens team gets paid on the basis of the crowds they draw? Then the Socceroos would be getting paid * all haha.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
The Socceroos are an interesting one. They play a s**t brand of football and it's often midweek, due to the international fixture dates.

I'm honestly a bit worried about Australian football. The domestic league is probably about as weak as it's ever been, the national side is pretty average.

This is more A League than national side but I think the love fest of getting as many teams in Sydney/Melbourne was beyond stupid. Macarthur and Western United were really poor choices for expansion teams.

The men would already have insurance through club football though wouldn't they? I'd say they're more likely to have the existing insurance than the women are.

As for paid maternity, all women should have that in any line of work. Calling that a 'fringe extra' seems odd. That should just be a given.
They do have it through club football, as they do endorsements in far larger quantities. Hence why their deal heavily favoured match payments.

The women’s deal was structured different. Contracts for players who’ve recently represented USWNT. Match payments, maternity, injury protection. Etc.

Nitpicking the word fringe a bit there. Meant in the context of non-match related payments. Whereas men’s US Soccer deal focuses on matches and performance.

You can argue about the fairness of men’s v women’s club football remuneration but that’s hardly US Soccer’s responsibility to fix how clubs with men’s and women’s teams choose to pay their players. Do you reckon LCFC women are equal paid to your men? Not even close to it.

My point was that a court found that in the preceding 5 years they had been paid more by US Soccer than the men.

So will be interesting to see how this is structured (given the tweet links back to a paywalled NYT article). Headline heralds this as a landmark equal pay win for USWNT and their “6 year fight for equal pay”… a period where they’ve been better remunerated.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
They do have it through club football, as they do endorsements in far larger quantities. Hence why their deal heavily favoured match payments.

The women’s deal was structured different. Contracts for players who’ve recently represented USWNT. Match payments, maternity, injury protection. Etc.

Nitpicking the word fringe a bit there. Meant in the context of non-match related payments. Whereas men’s US Soccer deal focuses on matches and performance.

You can argue about the fairness of men’s v women’s club football remuneration but that’s hardly US Soccer’s responsibility to fix how clubs with men’s and women’s teams choose to pay their players. Do you reckon LCFC women are equal paid to your men? Not even close to it.

My point was that a court found that in the preceding 5 years they had been paid more by US Soccer than the men.

So will be interesting to see how this is structured (given the tweet links back to a paywalled NYT article). Headline heralds this as a landmark equal pay win for USWNT and their “6 year fight for equal pay”… a period where they’ve been better remunerated.
It's interesting you say that (and you're absolutely right in terms of LCFC).

The club I have an ownership stake in (Lewes FC) is the only club in Europe that do this:

1652927493498.png

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
has there ever really been anything out there about national team pay? like actual figures?
Not since the lawsuit they lost a few years ago when the judge told them they already earned more than the guys and had other benefits the men didn't such as guaranteed national team contracts.

Not since the lawsuit they lost a few years ago when the judge told them they already earned more than the guys and had other benefits the men didn't such as guaranteed national team contracts.
Summed up by a former lawyer

I think it's ok in this instance as the womens teams is just about as big as the mens in the US.

Wont fly anywhere else in any other situation though.

Not even Australia?

Matildas sell out stadiums for their games and are much more successful than our men's team. Weird take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Not even Australia?

Matildas sell out stadiums for their games and are much more successful than our men's team. Weird take.
Doubtful but we'd be closest in interest in the womens game compared to the mens around the world I reckon. Interestingly both nations are traditionally not football nations. Maybe something in that.

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn
Doubtful but we'd be closest in interest in the womens game compared to the mens around the world I reckon. Interestingly both nations are traditionally not football nations. Maybe something in that.

Barcelona women had 90k+ in the Camp Nou on multiple occasions this season.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
To put that into context... 32k for St Marys, 32k for the Amex, 74k for Old Trafford.

And I suspect if they'd used higher capacity grounds those would have sold out. Think there was a lot of criticism for the grounds used.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
I meant like everyone. Male female whatever country. Can't remember seeing any info about anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back