The Greens

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that correct, i.e Australian income is not taxable in Australia ?

FYI:
That's my exact point. I'm assuming the 122 they are referring to are currently Australians for tax purposes. Introduce an additional tax on their global wealth (over and above any tax due in Australia on foreign income that hasn't been taxed off-shore) and I guarantee you those 122 won't be residents for tax purposes for very long.

You can make rules to not allow them to move money. Look at how the west is stealing rich Russian money. You have to think bigger.

Free uni worked fine not that long ago. There is plenty of money

So we reject overseas investment in Australia ?

'Free uni worked fine not that long ago' you claim.
Anything to support this motherhood claim? It was removed by the Hawke government after it had been introduced by Whitlam & supported by the Fraser Government (Nov75 - Mar83).

So we reject overseas investment in Australia ?

'Free uni worked fine not that long ago' you claim.
Anything to support this motherhood claim? It was removed by the Hawke government after it had been introduced by Whitlam & supported by the Fraser Government (Nov75 - Mar83).

Do you really want Saudi or Chinese money? Dirty shameful.

Nationalize the resources instead of sucking on big oil and the like.

Uni was free. The world did not fall apart. It can happen again. Public transport should be too

There isn't a shortage of money the rich don't get taxed

free uni didnt really work, because it was only viable with a small number of people attending uni

co-payment allowed uni's to significantly increase the numbers of people who could receive a uni education

and given uni grads end up earning a fair bit more than non uni grads, co-pay once you're earning decent coin is fair IMO

*only exception I'd have is trades where we are trying to push people into with urgency - ie nursing and science

Obviously those that cannot afford the up front cost combined with living expenses etc. Yeah I know that is a minority, still it's there.

Surely free education is an ideal and would increase meritocracy to be there and ultimately a better standard of education.

Not saying it's realistically viable but ideal.

Got anything to support 'ultimately a better standard of education'. Would we still have kids leaving school who cant read, write & add up.

Do you really want Saudi or Chinese money? Dirty shameful.

Nationalize the resources instead of sucking on big oil and the like.

Uni was free. The world did not fall apart. It can happen again. Public transport should be too

There isn't a shortage of money the rich don't get taxed
Are you familiar with royalties:

'Taxes and royalties on minerals and petroleum​

The Australian Government and state and territory governments own Australia’s mineral and petroleum resources on behalf of the community. Companies that extract mineral and petroleum resources must pay taxes and royalties. This ensures the community receives an adequate return on the use of Australia’s non-renewable resources.

Roles and responsibilities​

The Australian Government and state and territory governments share responsibility for taxing resources projects.'

You can familiarise yourself at your pleasure.

But... The Greens need them to make their promises viable....
They're not promises, they're policies.

IF that happens (which it won't) they will just have their policies recosted and look at other viable means of funding them.

It's better than the alternative which is to let the exploitation and transfer of wealth continue while essential services crumble or remain out of reach of many. Who would've thought something as basic as including dental and mental health treatment under Medicare would be so controversial!

The Australian Government and state and territory governments own Australia’s mineral and petroleum resources on behalf of the community. Companies that extract mineral and petroleum resources must pay taxes and royalties. This ensures the community receives an adequate return on the use of Australia’s non-renewable resources.

The Australian Government and state and territory governments share responsibility for taxing resources projects.'

Fossil fuel subsidies is like $10 trillion a year.

It's a scam and we are the suckers.

They're not promises, they're policies.

IF that happens (which it won't) they will just have their policies recosted and look at other viable means of funding them.

It's better than the alternative which is to let the exploitation and transfer of wealth continue while essential services crumble or remain out of reach of many. Who would've thought something as basic as including dental and mental health treatment under Medicare would be so controversial!
Policies not promises? I'd say that splitting hairs wouldn't you?

Adding dental to Medicare would be a great initiative, but these far fetched ways of paying for them are detached from reality. I'd much rather they say "we'll increase the Medicare levy" to pay for it. That is good policy.

They're trying to look like the good guys who will stand up to mining companies and the wealthy to exact a pound of flesh on behalf of the community. The reality is, if they try that people like Gina will just pack up and p*** off somewhere else.

Policies not promises? I'd say that splitting hairs wouldn't you?

Adding dental to Medicare would be a great initiative, but these far fetched ways of paying for them are detached from reality. I'd much rather they say "we'll increase the Medicare levy" to pay for it. That is good policy.

They're trying to look like the good guys who will stand up to mining companies and the wealthy to exact a pound of flesh on behalf of the community. The reality is, if they try that people like Gina will just pack up and p*** off somewhere else.
Why is trying to ensure people and companies pay tax instead of shifting profits offshore to tax havens far fetched?

Why is trying to ensure people and companies pay tax instead of shifting profits offshore to tax havens far fetched?
Something something neoliberal bullshit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$10 trillion?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this was a typo and you don't honestly think that the government spends 12% of its entire annual expenditure on subsidies (hint: it doesn't).

Even sadder the 'likes' have bought the claim as true. So keen to believe anything that supports their p.o.v.

Even sadder the 'likes' have bought the claim as true. So keen to believe anything that supports their p.o.v.

Twin Peaks Mirror GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime

Does all of it create that impression? Just some of it?

And what's wrong with a political party being ideological? The alternative is to not have strong convictions, and I think saving the country from climate change and saving people from poverty and homelessness are good things to have strong convictions about.

There's nothing wrong with a political party being ideological per se - however, if it's too obvious it unsettles a good chunk of the populace, since many people are uncomfortable with radical change.

I also agree that those are good things to have strong convinctions about, and I've said previously that I don't take great issue with The Greens' policies on paper. However, the way they express their views makes them too often makes them look like a serious political party, but more like fringe elements who don't necessarily understand how they come off to others. Even left-liberal ALP partisans tend to view them as a bit fringe, which says it all really.

Are you familiar how low Australia's royalties are compared to other jurisdictions?

Qatar get something like 10x more royalties per Gas Unit than Australia does.

Minimising tax is legal.
Tax havens are easily identified by the full time officers of the ATO, Austrac, AFP .... you clearly have a very poor opinion of the highly paid bureaucrats enforcing our tax laws. Are they as silly as you seem to believe they are or you simply bought a political claim from a party looking for your vote secure in the knowledge you wont investigate their claim that you have taken hook,line & sinker.

I'm hoping that the Greens can drag the ALP back to somewhere in the realm of political sanity.

Such a shame the Greens are the leftest party in Australia.

What would be the basis for the means test? Parental wealth? That feels a bit like being punished for the sins of the father/mother (in some cases).

As I understand it, that's how the current Youth Allowance works. If you are a dependent, you are assessed against your parents' income. Being a dependent means being 21 or younger, unless you meet other criteria (like you are supporting yourself with your own income, or you have a child).

Obviously, if university was means-tested, you could take a gap year(s) and wait until you were 21. But that's a fairly big ask just for a rich kid just to avoid paying HECS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back