2022 Membership Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

We all knee Essendon have a huge following but surely the loyalty will start to take its toll. After making the finals last year having one of the youngest lists in the competition many experts predicted Essendon to push for top 4! Now they will most certainly finish bottom 4 next year’s membership talley will be very interesting. This year the bombers will reach 80,000 but next year they may just struggle to even reach 75,000. Essendon like Collingwood are very lucky to have a huge and extremely loyal fan base. Collingwood’s membership is at approximately 84,000 which is pretty amazing considering most Collingwood fans expected to finish bottom 4 this year and probably the next 2 to 3 years before we start rising up the ladder
No doubt Essendon fans are frustrated and continue to commit. I also agree next years membership will be challenged. However as we know, things can turn quickly and membership could well rebound with any material improvement in on field prospects.

Collingwood’s membership rise off lady year is actually built around a sense of optimism among the Magpie faithful after it launched a new era under McCrae at the end of 2021. The new United board confirmed a new dawn and the fans have responded to a new sense of optimism, both on and off field.

We all knee Essendon have a huge following but surely the loyalty will start to take its toll. After making the finals last year having one of the youngest lists in the competition many experts predicted Essendon to push for top 4! Now they will most certainly finish bottom 4 next year’s membership talley will be very interesting. This year the bombers will reach 80,000 but next year they may just struggle to even reach 75,000. Essendon like Collingwood are very lucky to have a huge and extremely loyal fan base. Collingwood’s membership is at approximately 84,000 which is pretty amazing considering most Collingwood fans expected to finish bottom 4 this year and probably the next 2 to 3 years before we start rising up the ladder
Since day one Ess &coll have run the whole thing. The two constants that no matter how each is going on field will always show up. I’m one of them, it’s in my blood, we have been a laughing stock for two decades, can’t get enough !

New record & counting!

416-MEMB22-Membership-Record-Graphics-Web.jpg

Ill laugh if the Blues finish in front of the Pies.
why? Would you have expected it? You were once a big club. I would have thought pushing finals v a club who were 17th with dire issues on and off ground, the expectation would be the Blues should get the support. Otherwise it should be considered a failure.

why? Would you have expected it? You were once a big club. I would have thought pushing finals v a club who were 17th with dire issues on and off ground, the expectation would be the Blues should get the support. Otherwise it should be considered a failure.
Carlton have been dormant for years, for them to have consistently increasing their numbers without being successful or playing finals is amazing work. If the Blues play finals this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they hit 100,000 members in 2023. This years' target of 85,000, should be reached easily.
As for Collingwood, they're membership drive and canvassing this year has been incredible. On the street, in shopping centres, fantastic work by their membership team to have them where they are, was also helped by a great start to the year.

I don’t agree with this. Carlton didn’t enter 2022 with a whole lot more optimism that Collingwood. Carlton’s great season has surprised and it’s membership has had a positive lift, only as this optimism materialised after the season started.

At the start of the year Carlton’s membership was tracking around flat Vs same time year ago. If it hits 85,000, the YOY growth (~3,700) will represent the lift in numbers from a successful season, not growth based on an optimistic supporter base over the summer.

Collingwood’s growth is mainly driven by preseason circumstances. It’s membership was tracking +~5,000 Vs same period leading into the first round. This was driven by a supporter base optimistically looking at an improved season based on a fresh start, dawn of a new era with a new coach, footy manager, President and effectively the best player in the draft arriving (Daicos). So it’s not right to suggest the Pies fans were not looking at 2022 without a sense of excitement and optimism. It’s membership is tracking towards 90,000, its season progressing well and possibly slightly ahead of expectations which is ensuring it’s preseason membership growth is being rightly franked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t agree with this. Carlton didn’t enter 2022 with a whole lot more optimism that Collingwood. Carlton’s great season has surprised and it’s membership has had a positive lift, only as this optimism materialised after the season started.

At the start of the year Carlton’s membership was tracking around flat Vs same time year ago. If it hits 85,000, the YOY growth (~3,700) will represent the lift in numbers from a successful season, not growth based on an optimistic supporter base over the summer.

Collingwood’s growth is mainly driven by preseason circumstances. It’s membership was tracking +~5,000 Vs same period leading into the first round. This was driven by a supporter base optimistically looking at an improved season based on a fresh start, dawn of a new era with a new coach, footy manager, President and effectively the best player in the draft arriving (Daicos). So it’s not right to suggest the Pies fans were not looking at 2022 without a sense of excitement and optimism. It’s membership is tracking towards 90,000, its season progressing well and possibly slightly ahead of expectations which is ensuring it’s preseason membership growth is being rightly franked.
Ok

A bit of an increase of around 800 in 3 days for the Saints. 60,000 is reasonable if the club markets the last 5 home games as a package.

Attachments

• B19CB481-9E9B-4BC0-845C-A5E5F47DF6A4.jpeg
    B19CB481-9E9B-4BC0-845C-A5E5F47DF6A4.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 37
Who and where are these people? It is hard to work out. Maybe 5k auskickers/junior players? 5k in Canberra? Who are the other 21k? 10k given away by sponsors to staff? Does anybody know who these people are?
I’d say their sponsors and the AFL would contribute to most of that tally. Our deal with NT (which is no longer) was similar, they purchased around 5k memberships.

The only measure is membership dollars and not member numbers. Too many 2 for 1's, three games and nominal interstate etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back