Preview Changes: R10 vs St Kilda, Saturday May 21, 7.00pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Check the replay, Dawson is NUMBER 12.

We ran Brown, Murray, Hinge, Smith, Jones, Doedee and Hamill through our back six. Are you suggesting that any of these players were not playing in defence?

We rotated Dawson, Sholl and Soligo through the wings.

I hope I didn’t embarrass you, I find the less you see of the matches the more sense your comments make.
Whilst this is true for starting positions, Dawson after the bounce pushed back as a spare in defence... whilst the Lions had Rich as a spare in defence for the 1st half.

In the 2nd half, Berry followed Dawson as he was having too much influence. Arguably the match winning move.

Nov 8, 2021
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Whilst this is true for starting positions, Dawson after the bounce pushed back as a spare in defence... whilst the Lions had Rich as a spare in defence for the 1st half.

In the 2nd half, Berry followed Dawson as he was having too much influence. Arguably the match winning move.
Rich wasn’t a “spare” in defence. Unlike Dawson he started in defence, on an opponent. When the ball is in the D50, Brisbane often roll back a midfielder to pick up Rich’s man to free him up. Nothing like what we were doing with Dawson but can have a similar outcome. They are both designated kickers out of the D50.

The original comment was a response to the Elite One complaining about us using Dawson as a defender. He wasn’t a defender for the overwhelming majority of the match.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Which other weeks was he made medical sub and I will check.
Rd 3 and against Carlton he was travelling emergency and didn’t play. The week before he had an average game in the SANFL so why he travelled as an emergency and didn’t play a game was a bit silly.

Rich wasn’t a “spare” in defence. Unlike Dawson he started in defence, on an opponent. When the ball is in the D50, Brisbane often roll back a midfielder to pick up Rich’s man to free him up. Nothing like what we were doing with Dawson but can have a similar outcome. They are both designated kickers out of the D50.

The original comment was a response to the Elite One complaining about us using Dawson as a defender. He wasn’t a defender for the overwhelming majority of the match.
So who was Brisbane's spare then...

We basically pushed Dawson from a wing after the bounce as a spare 7th in defence.

Meanwhile our half forwards pushed further up field leaving a spare Lions defender... which most of the time was Rich.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Heat maps on AFL app show he spent most of his time around the wing. Definitely floated back as he tends to do, but was playing up the ground more than previous weeks, which was good. Also had more I50s than R50s, which is a decent indicator

Hopefully that trend continues this week
Yep they’ve finally worked out that he’s a bit wasted at half back and often gets dragged to deep defence to take him out of the play completely, Cognilio did that exact thing and his form started to suffer

Since then he’s had more and more time on the wing , just because he’s smart at dropping behind the ball doesn’t mean he’s playing defence .

He clearly has licence to run where he wants and sees fit . I also saw him drop a contested mark I50 early in game against Brisbane offering an extra target

He’s a good half back but he’s a great and damaging wing and it’s across the centre where he should be playing

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Agree

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rd 3 and against Carlton he was travelling emergency and didn’t play. The week before he had an average game in the SANFL so why he travelled as an emergency and didn’t play a game was a bit silly.
The Showdown in the SANFL was a curtain raiser to the AFL Showdown and he was considered in our best 22 at that time early in the season. So you are using the travelling emergency as an isolated example as "we totally stuff up his development this year"??

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Showdown in the SANFL was a curtain raiser to the AFL Showdown and he was considered in our best 22 at that time early in the season. So you are using the travelling emergency as an isolated example as "we totally stuff up his development this year"??
For starters I’ve never said “we totally stuffed his development this year”

In our best 22 early? Didn’t make rd 1, played rd 2, sub rd 3 and dropped rd 4.

He’s been the emergency once and sub once out of 9 games, that’s 2 games of sanfl he’s missed.

Sep 7, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Rams, UCLA Bruins
No news on Butts and he hasn't been named an emergency.

Yeah I thought that was weird. Worrell finally named at least as an emergncy

If he only tested positive Saturday morning (when he was named out) then his 7 days iso finish at midnight Saturday night and he'll be a free man from Sunday morning

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
For starters I’ve never said “we totally stuffed his development this year”

In our best 22 early? Didn’t make rd 1, played rd 2, sub rd 3 and dropped rd 4.

He’s been the emergency once and sub once out of 9 games, that’s 2 games of sanfl he’s missed.
Coming back from his lack of fitness, he must have trained very well to RD3 and earnt his spot.

Sep 7, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Rams, UCLA Bruins
Is Butts coming out of protocols a separate transaction?

If he tests negative on Saturday morning can we then change the team and add him?

He could well be isolated until midnight Saturday. If he got his positive result after 12.01am Saturday morning last week, that is day 0 and he has to iso until midnight Saturday this week, 5 hours after the game

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I do get what you're saying, but I doubt the doctors etc would allow him to play if he was that fragile.
I'm hoping that Murphy would have done a wide range of neck-muscle-strengthening exercises etc and has a confident thumbs-up from the docs.

Having said that, the dangers of accidental, serious injury are always there. :(

he's been that fragile recently though.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
He could well be isolated until midnight Saturday. If he got his positive result after 12.01am Saturday morning last week, that is day 0 and he has to iso until midnight Saturday this week, 5 hours after the game
He's clear of protocols on Saturday morning so is available if fit and well

I'm wondering if us not naming him means he still isn't 100% so won't play or is just part of the protocols where we can't name him until he becomes eligible to play again

Wazzy36

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
is this the most small forwards we've ran for a while? Wonder if it means Murphy will play on ball, maybe even defence? ah who am I kidding that kind of creativity would be unheard of at the AFC.

is this the most small forwards we've ran for a while? Wonder if it means Murphy will play on ball, maybe even defence? ah who am I kidding that kind of creativity would be unheard of at the AFC.

Probably since round one or two.

Back