Play Nice 2022 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings/Finance/Development thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big crowds for the NRL magic round last weekend.

Would it be something the AFL would ever consider doing? They've shown in round 1 that they can have no games overlap so it can be done.

Optus in Perth would be the obvious location, with the 2nd biggest AFL market, 2nd biggest stadium without having 4-5 games each weekend like Melbourne does.

I think the main downside is the length of AFL compared to NRL, looking at a 3 hour game compared to a 2 hour game. This makes a big difference if you're sitting in a stadium for all 3 games, 6 hours is doable, 9 hours not so much.

Would it be something the AFL would ever consider doing? They've shown in round 1 that they can have no games overlap so it can be done.

Optus in Perth would be the obvious location, with the 2nd biggest AFL market, 2nd biggest stadium without having 4-5 games each weekend like Melbourne does.

I think the main downside is the length of AFL compared to NRL, looking at a 3 hour game compared to a 2 hour game. This makes a big difference if you're sitting in a stadium for all 3 games, 6 hours is doable, 9 hours not so much.

They werent that big.

The AFL dont need it, attendances are pretty good in general without needing this.

No way they play that 9 games in one weekend at one stadium. The complaints about potential turf damage would be huge.

It might work in Melbourne across two major stadiums in fairly close proximity. Perth might work if they play smaller drawing matches at the WACA, and larger ones at the nearby Optus Stadium, but WACA capacity isnt great for this. Sydney could work at Olympic Park and the Showgrounds. Queensland grounds too far apart, Adelaide hasnt got anything large enough near the city for a second viable stadium.

Pick a long weekend, like Queens Birthday

2 games Friday evening/night at stadium 1
3 games Saturday/Saturday Night at stadium 2
2 games Sunday afternoon/evening at stadium 1
2 games Monday at stadium 2

but as you note, match times are problematic.

What's the upside?

They werent that big.

The AFL dont need it, attendances are pretty good in general without needing this.

No way they play that 9 games in one weekend at one stadium. The complaints about potential turf damage would be huge.

It might work in Melbourne across two major stadiums in fairly close proximity. Perth might work if they play smaller drawing matches at the WACA, and larger ones at the nearby Optus Stadium, but WACA capacity isnt great for this. Sydney could work at Olympic Park and the Showgrounds. Queensland grounds too far apart, Adelaide hasnt got anything large enough near the city for a second viable stadium.

Pick a long weekend, like Queens Birthday

2 games Friday evening/night at stadium 1
3 games Saturday/Saturday Night at stadium 2
2 games Sunday afternoon/evening at stadium 1
2 games Monday at stadium 2

but as you note, match times are problematic.
I don't think it'd work for Melbourne for the same reason NRL magic weekend isn't in Sydney - half the games are there each week are there anyway. Wouldn't hold it in NSW or QLD due to lack of interest (look at the difference in crowds from Optus to the Gabba for matches between 2 Vic sides in the last 2 years for proof of this). Not a bad idea about using multiple grounds in Perth though.

What's the upside?
To name a few:
-Increased interest. NRL magic round gets the most interest/coverage of any regular season round. Creates another special event round like opening round or ANZAC round.
-Tourism. Lots of people travel interstate on a pilgrimage creating a real festival of footy atmosphere.
-More matches for interstate Vic fans. There are a lot of fans of Vic teams in WA/SA, who normally only get to watch their side once a year.

There are quite a few downsides that I've previously mentioned, so I guess the question is would it stack up financially weighing up the pros and cons.

I don't think it'd work for Melbourne for the same reason NRL magic weekend isn't in Sydney - half the games are there each week are there anyway. Wouldn't hold it in NSW or QLD due to lack of interest (look at the difference in crowds from Optus to the Gabba for matches between 2 Vic sides in the last 2 years for proof of this). Not a bad idea about using multiple grounds in Perth though.

To name a few:
-Increased interest. NRL magic round gets the most interest/coverage of any regular season round. Creates another special event round like opening round or ANZAC round.
-Tourism. Lots of people travel interstate on a pilgrimage creating a real festival of footy atmosphere.
-More matches for interstate Vic fans. There are a lot of fans of Vic teams in WA/SA, who normally only get to watch their side once a year.

There are quite a few downsides that I've previously mentioned, so I guess the question is would it stack up financially weighing up the pros and cons.
I've been able to go to the last two magic rounds, and lets just say its a great initiative that works great for League but wouldn't transition well to the AFL. There are only 8 80 minute matches for League compared to the 9 120 minute AFL matches for starters. Not to mention the crowd factor. League having the smaller crowds they have, have a chance to capitalise and hold 16 sets of fans in to probably the best League stadium there is to create a great carnival atmosphere. Still though, being from QLD I can tolerate League but even my mates who follow League more closely say by the Sunday you've watched enough League to last a lifetime.

Talking about piss poor ratings the RL got only 46,000 on GH 9 in Melbourne last night a Mickey Mouse cartoon would b get more than that!

9000 in Adelaide and 11,000 in Perth were a disaster as well.No wonder it rated only 18th on the night.

Oh dear! The A League GF with two Victorian teams could only pull 22,000 at a 2/3rds full AMMI Stadium and did not make the TOP 20 TV programs.
I wonder how long CH Ten and there bosses at CBS/ Paramount in the US will put up with this disaster on Saturday nights?

Oh dear! The A League GF with two Victorian teams could only pull 22,000 at a 2/3rds full AMMI Stadium and did not make the TOP 20 TV programs.
I wonder how long CH Ten and there bosses at CBS/ Paramount in the US will put up with this disaster on Saturday nights?
That's an embarassing crowd figure for a grand final with 2 Vic teams. Even then I think the crowd number may have a bit of mayo on it, the upper tier on the non-TV side wasn't even open.

The A-league grand final was usually the one game I would watch each year from about 2012-2019, but I honestly didn't even know it was on this year. Seems to have completely disappeared from the Australian sporting scene.

I think it's a problem with the competition itself rather than the sport, as there seems to be no problem filling up the MCG or Accor Stadium when European teams come to play friendlies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the AFL doesn't need to be too worried about the sleeping giant for the time being.
If ever soccer had time in the limelight it has well and truly been and gone with the A League now no better than the old National League failure!

You would have to wonder as a business how long US owned CH 10 will keep coping the dismal ratings and loss of revenue as advertisers won't pay much for ratings of below 50,000 in prime time!

Optus Sport hikes price, football now a costly luxury for Aussie fanatics​

Optus Sport will begin to charge existing mobile and broadband customers for access to English Premier League for the first time come August, as it has also upped its monthly subscription price.

The new subscription price will be $24.99 per month for non-Optus customers from 1 August. Eligible customers will be offered a discounted price of $6.99 per month, to whom the subscription is currently free.

Previously, the monthly price set customers back $14.99 for Optus Sport, with Optus mobile users accessing the service free of charge. The annual price is $199, and with the football market currently fragmented, fans will have to shell out an additional $20 for Stan Sport which airs the Champions League, and $8.99 for Paramount+, which airs the A-League, Matildas and Socceroos games.

Optus Sport will begin to charge existing mobile and broadband customers for access to English Premier League for the first time come August, as it has also upped its monthly subscription price.

The new subscription price will be $24.99 per month for non-Optus customers from 1 August. Eligible customers will be offered a discounted price of $6.99 per month, to whom the subscription is currently free.

Previously, the monthly price set customers back $14.99 for Optus Sport, with Optus mobile users accessing the service free of charge. The annual price is $199, and with the football market currently fragmented, fans will have to shell out an additional $20 for Stan Sport which airs the Champions League, and $8.99 for Paramount+, which airs the A-League, Matildas and Socceroos games.

Soccer is the most popular sport on the planet and the English Premier league the most watched

This is the issue with soccer. Its coverage is split over 4 paid subs.

Paramount has a-league
Kayo has European domestic leagues
Optus has EPL
Stan has Euro Club Cups competitions

Its too much. Every company hasn't got enough. For Paramount, this is the biggest issue. It needed to gain more than just the A-League.

I didn't watch a single match of this a-league season. I used to watch a little on Kayo before last year but I get Kayo more for F1 than anything else. I am not spending $15 extra a month for the A-league and a lot of sports fans and soccer fans would think similar.

This is the issue with soccer. Its coverage is split over 4 paid subs.

Paramount has a-league
Kayo has European domestic leagues
Optus has EPL
Stan has Euro Club Cups competitions

Its too much. Every company hasn't got enough. For Paramount, this is the biggest issue. It needed to gain more than just the A-League.

I didn't watch a single match of this a-league season. I used to watch a little on Kayo before last year but I get Kayo more for F1 than anything else. I am not spending $15 extra a month for the A-league and a lot of sports fans and soccer fans would think similar.

Same problem with motorsport with Stan dipping its toe e.g Indy.

Here is an advertising industry site take on the A League, the GF, 10 & CBS/Paramount that might help you understand what is going on off-field.

Here is an advertising industry site take on the A League, the GF, 10 & CBS/Paramount that might help you understand what is going on off-field.
Backed up what I said and I doubt the AFL,NRL and the other TV channels are shaking in their boots that the A League will hurt them at all!

If you are a soccer fan why would you watch a tenth rate local league when you can watch the best leagues and Cups comps in the world live?

Backed up what I said and I doubt the AFL,NRL and the other TV channels are shaking in their boots that the A League will hurt them at all!

If you are a soccer fan why would you watch a tenth rate local league when you can watch the best leagues and Cups comps in the world live?
You right. On quality, the A-league is a good watch but not world-class. So you got to sell another angle. The biggest one is that it is local. You can actually go to the match and watch and support a team that represents you and your suburb/city/region/state.

Alas, the support for the league seems fractured and unwhole. There are teams that should never have been admitted but were only picked for the license fees. Crowds were falling before Covid and it is tough to sell that "local" experience in front of empty cheers and a disillusioned fanbase.

I don't know what has gone wrong from 2010 til now. Could be a lack of easily accessible coverage, or a crackdown on "ultras", scheduling; could be a many numbers of things.

That doesn't really provide a lot of insight. Some paramount exec tries to claim all is rosy and some other exec says "well, they need to get more viewers". No s**t, they just had the grand final and Channel 10 still got beaten down by SBS and 7mate.

I don't know what has gone wrong from 2010 til now. Could be a lack of easily accessible coverage, or a crackdown on "ultras", scheduling; could be a many numbers of things.
Its problem is its fans have huge expectations because it's the biggest sport in the world, but not in Australia where it has to share to stage with three other mature, professional football codes.

Combine that with the unique challenges all sports face here, that of a population of only 26 mill in a landmass the size of Europe, the overwhelming bulk of that population clustered down the east coast, and you have a seriously curly conundrum.

I honestly don't know what the answer is but I strongly doubt soccer is ever going to dominate now. It's too late.

Freo had a really good crowd last week against Brisbane, but there were also some good WAFL crowds for the WA Day Long Weekend.

IMG_9394.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back