List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unrelated to us but is Dylan Shiel the biggest trade bust in the last, what, 10 years? 20 years? For the reputation/output he had coming into Essendon to the reputation/output he has now?
We dodged an extraordinary bullet there. He reportedly knocked back at least $1.2mil PA from us and he undoubtedly would have cost us the pick we used on Max, so that could be a real sliding doors moment for the club.

One name that caught my eye when looking through the free agency list- if we’re still looking to add some height in defence- was Jordan Roughead.

Only played 1 game this year- as a result of preseason shoulder surgery and then a finger injury that required surgery- but prior to that played 21 last year, 17 the year before that and 24 the year before that, so seems generally pretty durable.

Had games last year of 17, 15 and 13 marks and took 137 in total. Dougal from the same number of games took 102.

Finished equal-8th in the Pies B&F.

At 200cm, would give us two back there around that height to help combat teams like Melbourne and Brisbane, who have two around 200cm or more up forward most of the time.

Would cost just cap space. Cousin Jarryd at the club already of course.

32yo next season.

Add him to defence and a De Goey to the midfield/forwardline and if Ryder goes around again I reckon we’d have pretty much all our bases covered for 2023.

Last edited:

I was big on Stephenson as well but you can’t expect a small forward type to be playing well in a team as bad as North. How’s Liam Ryan going for West Coast this year. Even good forwards struggle on basket case teams.

Interesting read about which clubs would be the best fit for De Goey.

In my opinion, his value lies with the contenders.

There are three clubs that should seriously be taking a look at how De Goey might fit into their plans and those clubs are St Kilda, Sydney and Richmond.

The Saints have proved this year they’ve got the base of a very good team. They’re hungry, their game plan looks sound and they’ve got some key personnel. De Goey is a game breaker. Could he be the player who tips them over the edge in their bid for a breakthrough premiership?

I think he’d fit perfectly alongside Jack Steele, Jade Gresham and co. in that midfield, pushing forward when needed. The Saints might be a little gun shy after what’s happened with another big money recruit in Dan Hannebery, but you have to remember he arrived already banged up.

De Goey is in his physical prime.

Just because that move (Hannebery) hasn’t worked out doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be bold in the future.

As you say it just could be as simple as the coaches and the team structure that he is in , playing in a team that is getting belted every week wouldn't be the best way to develop a young player.
Of course if he is on a big long term contract it could of taken the hunger out of his game like a lot of these guys on big contracts seem to do.
I don't know to much about the guy but showed he was a AFL player at the Magpies and for him to be dropped from a poor Nth side he must have problems.

Before we look at pickup a player I feel we need to secure the players on our list now - Marshall , Long , Paton , Higgins , Bytel , Byrnes , Heath , Battle , Highmore , Jones and Ryder who all still don't have a contract for next year.
And even Owens , Milera , Windhager , Sharman , Hunter Clark , Gresham all need to be re-signed before next year if we are to be safe from clubs poaching players.
I don't see we're in danger of losing any of the players you've listed for this round of contracts.
Perhaps next year if Byrnes and Highmore still can't crack a game, but that's ok because we'll need to shift a couple out by then and it will only improve our drafting hand.

Interesting read about which clubs would be the best fit for De Goey.

In my opinion, his value lies with the contenders.

There are three clubs that should seriously be taking a look at how De Goey might fit into their plans and those clubs are St Kilda, Sydney and Richmond.

The Saints have proved this year they’ve got the base of a very good team. They’re hungry, their game plan looks sound and they’ve got some key personnel. De Goey is a game breaker. Could he be the player who tips them over the edge in their bid for a breakthrough premiership?

I think he’d fit perfectly alongside Jack Steele, Jade Gresham and co. in that midfield, pushing forward when needed. The Saints might be a little gun shy after what’s happened with another big money recruit in Dan Hannebery, but you have to remember he arrived already banged up.

De Goey is in his physical prime.

Just because that move (Hannebery) hasn’t worked out doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be bold in the future.

That article finally settles the De Goey issue once and for all. If WAYNE CAREY and his ghost writer thinks it is a good idea,
then it is a VERY VERY BAD IDEA.

That article finally settles the De Goey issue once and for all. If WAYNE CAREY and his ghost writer thinks it is a good idea,
then it is a VERY VERY BAD IDEA.
Actually its a pretty reasonable assessment.

Dimma openly talking about Martin going to Sydney was a bit weird so I'm thinking Martin to Sydney, De Goey to Tigers.

Both end up disgusted with the Saints and the NGA program when Windy and Owens become Martin and De Goey clones.

One name that caught my eye when looking through the free agency list- if we’re still looking to add some height in defence- was Jordan Roughead.

Only played 1 game this year- as a result of preseason shoulder surgery and then a finger injury that required surgery- but prior to that played 21 last year, 17 the year before that and 24 the year before that, so seems generally pretty durable.

Had games last year of 17, 15 and 13 marks and took 137 in total. Dougal from the same number of games took 102.

Finished equal-8th in the Pies B&F.

At 200cm, would give us two back there around that height to help combat teams like Melbourne and Brisbane, who have two around 200cm or more up forward most of the time.

Would cost just cap space. Cousin Jarryd at the club already of course.

32yo next season.

Add him to defence and a De Goey to the midfield/forwardline and if Ryder goes around again I reckon we’d have pretty much all our bases covered for 2023.
Roughead makes a lot of sense but I'm very dubious on De Goey.
I think he owes Collingwood FC a debt of gratitude and should be thankful he's still able to play.
I suppose with behaviour clauses in his contract, but we'd need to be able to sack him on the spot if he even breaths in the wrong direction.
I'd also want us to offer less than the others.
He needs to want to play for StKilda. Not interested in a mercenary arrangement.

Roughead makes a lot of sense but I'm very dubious on De Goey.
I think he owes Collingwood FC a debt of gratitude and should be thankful he's still able to play.
I suppose with behaviour clauses in his contract, but we'd need to be able to sack him on the spot if he even breaths in the wrong direction.
I'd also want us to offer less than the others.
He needs to want to play for StKilda. Not interested in a mercenary arrangement.
Why would we want a 32 yo Key backman ?

We dodged an extraordinary bullet there. He reportedly knocked back at least $1.2mil PA from us and he undoubtedly would have cost us the pick we used on Max, so that could be a real sliding doors moment for the club.

They must want their development back after his performance.

My Bombers family have got total buyer's remorse. Not so crash hot on Devon Smith either.
I see Tippa has retired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we were all hypnotised by the " super list" of GWS.
If you think about it, the best GWS player acquired by any club has been Jack Steele. And maybe Jeremy Cameron.

I was big on Stephenson as well but you can’t expect a small forward type to be playing well in a team as bad as North. How’s Liam Ryan going for West Coast this year. Even good forwards struggle on basket case teams.
Slightly off topic but this is why ive been so impressed with Josh Rachele.

14 goals in 9 games as a pure small forward for Adelaide who barely kick a soccer score most weeks now.

Actually its a pretty reasonable assessment.

Dimma openly talking about Martin going to Sydney was a bit weird so I'm thinking Martin to Sydney, De Goey to Tigers.

Both end up disgusted with the Saints and the NGA program when Windy and Owens become Martin and De Goey clones.

Onfield.

Off field they are mother therisa clones.

Paddy McCartin is looking brilliant in defence for Sydney. Could really use a bloke like that on our list.
It's a great story, but is he any better than either Wilkie or Battle?

He's a bit taller but doesn't Sydney try and free him up more than play as a genuine key defender.

I actually said I'd love to see him back in Saints colours, but I'm not sure hes the exact type we need down there

Paddy McCartin is looking brilliant in defence for Sydney. Could really use a bloke like that on our list.
He’d be just be more of what we have which is a whole bunch of guys who are better off playing as the second tall rather than the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back