Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - 20d/12 tackles in VFL vs Brisbane - does he come in vs Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Phillips or McDonald ?
That’s the question we will live with forever.
I know one thing … whoever of the 2 we would of picked would have had glandular fever & me be languishing in the VFL by now with no hope .
If McDonald was playing in our forward line he’d be lucky to get 5 disposals and 1 shot on goal per game. Phillips would be up at Sydney getting Chad Warner like numbers and the media would be saying how he is a future Brownlow medalist in the Lachie Neale mould.

Phillips or McDonald ?
That’s the question we will live with forever.
I know one thing … whoever of the 2 we would of picked would have had glandular fever & me be languishing in the VFL by now with no hope .

Neither will be as good as Miller Bergman….;)

If McDonald was playing in our forward line he’d be lucky to get 5 disposals and 1 shot on goal per game. Phillips would be up at Sydney getting Chad Warner like numbers and the media would be saying how he is a future Brownlow medalist in the Lachie Neale mould.
So all that tells you is that we have a s**t coach that can’t structure a team, because he looks like a genuinely talented tall forward and would only fail in a poorly structured team.

Yeah nah - Swans forward line looked impotent - then LMac took over taking contested mark after contested mark.

Haven't seen that type of aerial dominance in our forward 50 for a long long time.

Phillips, if fully fit, wouldn't be getting a game at Sydney with their compliment of mids - he would be a long way off atm.

Yeah nah - Swans forward line looked impotent - then LMac took over taking contested mark after contested mark.

Haven't seen that type of aerial dominance in our forward 50 for a long long time.

Phillips, if fully fit, wouldn't be getting a game at Sydney with their compliment of mids - he would be a long way off atm.
Turn it up, Ryan Clarke was their sub last week.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hopefully Will gets to health and works out well for us.

McDonald looks good but personally I would have liked us select DGB at the time.

Consider it as Hansen Part II.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hopefully Will gets to health and works out well for us.

McDonald looks good but personally I would have liked us select DGB at the time.

Consider it as Hansen Part II.

Disagree Logan McDonald will be the Swans number 1 forward by this time next year .
Let’s face it … we were all surprised when we took Phillips that draft night . I really hope for our & the kids sake he makes it .
But at the time , and as it turns out … he was just another small bodied midfielder with a huge upside potential. Yes he was affected by Covid (not playing) and is still playing catch up with a few hic ups along the way …. But we were and are screaming for the most are key position players .
Key position players like Logan with a proven track junior record of kicking bags are not there every year .
We should have taken him especially when Chom was & still are maybe , losing Brown etc ….
Sorry, but let’s face it … this another one that we really got wrong here .

Does McDonald's game and all the seething coming from it really need to be posted about in this thread?
Seems like an appropriate place for it…

We took the riskier option.
Nobody, would have said boo if we’d taken McDonald and he failed, but when you reach and it fails or don’t go with the consensus - you open yourself up to this.

I don’t care, I want Lemmey and the Buss or Scully and the Buss this year and it will nothing but a distant memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He still wouldn’t be having any sort of aerial dominance in our side. He’d be lucky to get 2 kicks a game that would be to his advantage. Then there would be 15-20 kicks that would sail over his head by 15m or fall short by 10m. And if, he was the deepest forward like Larkey, Goldy or CCJ he’d be competing with at least 2 or sometimes 3 defenders because our forward structure and ball movement is garbage.

To put it into context this is a Sydney team that has made Hayden McLean &. Joel Amarty look like decent KP prospects, when in all reality they are state level players at best.

Disagree Logan McDonald will be the Swans number 1 forward by this time next year .
Let’s face it … we were all surprised when we took Phillips that draft night . I really hope for our & the kids sake he makes it .
But at the time , and as it turns out … he was just another small bodied midfielder with a huge upside potential. Yes he was affected by Covid (not playing) and is still playing catch up with a few hic ups along the way …. But we were and are screaming for the most are key position players .
Key position players like Logan with a proven track junior record of kicking bags are not there every year .
We should have taken him especially when Chom was & still are maybe , losing Brown etc ….
Sorry, but let’s face it … this another one that we really got wrong here .

Correct that everyone was surprised we took Philips over McDonald.

I guess the club would have assumed they had selected their key forwards in Larkey and Comben which obviously now is the sunny day scenario which hasn’t eventuated.

I mentioned DGB as at the time we only had McKay as anything that resembled a key back (and an aging Tarrant). He had a great game in WA against McDonald also which showed his worth.

Let’s see what happens with Will, we can just be hopeful at the moment. With what we have right now on the list, including the injured Comben, I’d still have personally taken DGB.

Nobody, would have said boo if we’d taken McDonald and he failed, but when you reach and it fails or don’t go with the consensus - you open yourself up to this.

I don’t care, I want Lemmey and the Buss or Scully and the Buss this year and it will nothing but a distant memory.
It's the Player thread for Will Phillips, not one of the list management threads, threads on our recruiting staff, or the non-north thread, all of which would be more suitable I would assume. Hell, a dedicated thread for this debate over our selection might even be worth being made if people really want to talk about it so much.

I'm fine with the discussion itself it's just that I doubt I'm only speaking for myself when I say that when I come to a specific player's thread it's usually because I want to read or talk about that player, not somebody else at a different club that we could have picked up.

Sherpa Phillips will be leading us to glory.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Sherpa Phillips will be leading us to glory.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Agree . We got him for his leadership qualities they said .
He will be a great coach one day . As far as getting a kick and making it …. Jury is definitely out still on that one “big time” .

I’m a defender of Will, happy to give him time. I think that despite the narrative, he has shown some really promising signs.

McDonald on the other hand is a freak. Future top key forward of the competition. The fact he wouldn’t go as well in our current forward line, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have been selected for the future.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with calling out our recruiting/list management/development. There are enough of examples of us butchering picks &/or development, to be concerned.

The reason this one stings is that McDonald was such an obvious selection & that pass surprised the majority of draft followers. Something that isn’t a first for our recruiters.

The gap between our drafting, recruiting & development compared to Sydney/Melbourne is stark. Simon Darymple is a ⭐️. We can point to Sydney academies all we like, but they regularly nail later picks like McInnerney, Warner. The fact that Darymple couldn’t say Logan McDonalds name fast enough, is concerning as we appear to be reading from a very different spreadsheet.

Last edited:
I’m a defender of Will, happy to give him time. I think that despite the narrative, he has shown some really promising signs.

McDonald on the other hand is a freak. Future top key forward of the competition. The fact he wouldn’t go as well in our current forward line, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have been selected for the future.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with calling out our recruiting/list management/development. There are enough of examples of us butchering picks &/or development, to be concerned.

The reason this one stings is that McDonald was such an obvious selection & that pass surprised the majority of draft followers. Something that isn’t a first for our recruiters.

The gap between our drafting, recruiting & development compared to Sydney/Melbourne is stark. Simon Darymple is a ⭐️. We can point to Sydney academies all we like, but they regularly nail later picks like McInnerney, Warner. The fact that Darymple couldn’t say Logan McDonalds name fast enough, is concerning as we appear to be reading from a very different spreadsheet.

I agree with you, and I am a huge Phillips fan and think he will be a serious gun, but the three mids selected that year then JHF the next year just looks really unbalanced even on its own, let alone in the context of the rest of our list.

I agree with you, and I am a huge Phillips fan and think he will be a serious gun, but the three mids selected that year then JHF the next year just looks really unbalanced even on its own, let alone in the context of the rest of our list.
Maybe, maybe not.

You push Jy out to a wing and play TT and Sleevo off flanks then all the sudden we have the right amount of pure mids.

I myself believe in KPP over mids all day every day, but we are down a different path and I'm going along for the ride.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back