List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

we'd be going all in for two years. We'd be taking ourselves out of contention for another 5
With the amount of young talent we have we can afford to spend a few picks. Gulden, Campbell, Logan, jmac, blakey, Warner are all playing at a first round calibre draft talent and improving exponentially.

One club we never seem to deal with is GWS. I'd love to see us break that trend and pitch for Taranto. He's a hard as nails inside mid, alot of talent and at the age now where he's ready to be a leader. We could pitch to him that he's more likely to win a flag with us than GWS.If he was interested, the question would be what would be a trade the Giants would accept.

I'd be willing to give our 2 first rounders for Taranto.

James Worpel dropped from Hawks again, I wouldn't mind asking the question there. Only 23 as well, could possibly be having a down patch from change in coach.

One club we never seem to deal with is GWS. I'd love to see us break that trend and pitch for Taranto. He's a hard as nails inside mid, alot of talent and at the age now where he's ready to be a leader. We could pitch to him that he's more likely to win a flag with us than GWS.If he was interested, the question would be what would be a trade the Giants would accept.

I'd be willing to give our 2 first rounders for Taranto.
Don't think there's to much trading between 2 team states. Lions nabbed a few off GC but I'd expect that to dwindle as well as time goes by.

James Worpel dropped from Hawks again, I wouldn't mind asking the question there. Only 23 as well, could possibly be having a down patch from change in coach.

Would steer clear.

If Worpel without Mitchell vs Worpel with Mitchell indicates anything, it's that Worpel probably thrives when he's the main man in the midfield. Whilst there's potential there, he'd never, ever have that role in our midfield as he'd be coming in behind about four others at least. So the Worpel we'd get would probably end up the same as the Worpel we're currently seeing at Hawthorn.

Would steer clear.

If Worpel without Mitchell vs Worpel with Mitchell indicates anything, it's that Worpel probably thrives when he's the main man in the midfield. Whilst there's potential there, he'd never, ever have that role in our midfield as he'd be coming in behind about four others at least. So the Worpel we'd get would probably end up the same as the Worpel we're currently seeing at Hawthorn.
Worpel was still very good last year just not going well in Mitchell's gameplan.

He can’t hold his spot in a bottom 6 team. Might as well go to the draft.

He doesn't have a defensive game. Doesn't matter about that though, when Horse has every player in the centre bounce playing on the backfoot anyway and Mills is tagging

Just had my brother over last night to watch the game. All props to you, hell of a fight at the end and I was packing my s**t at the end thinking Paps and Heeney would pop up for 4 goals to snatch it from us.

Anyway he works with one of Dusty's very close mates in construction and reckons he said that Dusty is certain that he's requesting a trade to NSW at the end of year. I personally know nothing about it but just figured id pass it on. Sounds like its mainly due to mental health reasons and escaping the spotlight.

Figured id pass it on

Just had my brother over last night to watch the game. All props to you, hell of a fight at the end and I was packing my s**t at the end thinking Paps and Heeney would pop up for 4 goals to snatch it from us.

Anyway he works with one of Dusty's very close mates in construction and reckons he said that Dusty is certain that he's requesting a trade to NSW at the end of year. I personally know nothing about it but just figured id pass it on. Sounds like its mainly due to mental health reasons and escaping the spotlight.

Figured id pass it on
Credit to your boys. They played well. Also well done to Vossy, who clearly out coached Longmire last night. If you had Harry and Pittonet, it would've been an absolute drubbing.

What is clear about our team is we can not bring it for four quarters. We also struggle to stop the momentum our opposition builds during a quarter and it seems to take some sort of dressing down by the coaching staff to arrest our opposition once they get their tails up.

To me that suggests our on field leadership is deficient. It also tells me that we don't have anyone in the heat of the battle who will take it on himself to stop the opposition's momentum.

This is where Dusty would be an absolute get for us. He is the sort of player who will take it on himself to lift his team and light a fire amongst the others. If he wants to come to Sydney, we need to see how we can fit him into our lineup.

Harley (not Kinnear) is managing Buddys contract extension talks. Why? What does this mean??
Harley seems to play a big part in the marquee players contracts, Daniher etc.
Part player, part coaching(mentoring) role?
Partly paid from soft cap, partly paid from salary cap? a bit like GWS and Mummy
Does Harley want to fit in Buddy and Dusty?
Who if any of the future players are we prepared to lose?

I would be stoked to watch Buddy and Dusty run around next year
but......
not at the expense of losing young players - Dustys current contract is in the order of $2.5m over the next two years & how much will Buddy want?
not at the expense of our draft hand - the cheapest way to get players (both a-graders and depth) is through the draft
not at the expense of a 23-24yo a-grader (Hopper, Taranto etc) who would seriously add to the Swans when they're pushing for a flag post JPK, Buddy, (Dusty) days

ps, a big no to Worpel. Whats the point? Hes an ok mid and you can get an ok mid anywhere. We've already got a few

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea on our cap or luring players atm but we can’t keep going to the draft.

We need to recruit best 22 to take the next step , be also going after a dogs mid
That's how Carlton have built their list. Hewitt, cherra, saad, Martin etc

No idea on our cap or luring players atm but we can’t keep going to the draft.

We need to recruit best 22 to take the next step , be also going after a dogs mid
Agree,
so do we chase Dusty who might or might not play elite footy outside of Richmond, & at what price re salary and therefore other players on our list?
do we re-sign Buddy on a decent contract? What is the cost to other parts of the list?
These guys 'are' incredible players.. but 2023, more likely that these guys 'were' incredible players. Teams dont win flags with players that used to be incredible, especially if paying their contracts results in b22 players being pushed out
Does it come down to the Swans 'needing' to be competitive because we live in the fickle Sydney market. We've seen Geelong stay competitive for years without success (success = Grand finals). I would hate to be a Geelong supporter, watching a 'nearly team' slowly get worse as Selwood, Dangerfield, Hawkins etc get older and slower,, and continually recruit older players at the expense of regeneration of youth.

or... Do we chase an elite 22-24yo? Id be happy to give up draft picks for a player that will make an instant impact and develop and play with the current list over the next 6 years.

Harley said a few months ago when asked about the cost of living in Sydney, 'we will spend every cent of our cap'. He was referring to paying players (and staff) overs to support their rent
That's how Carlton have built their list. Hewitt, cherra, saad, Martin etc
yep, but other clubs have tried the same and failed. Credit to Carlton (not happy giving them credit!) Hewett, Cerra and Saad have been great pick ups.
Swans letting Hewett go most likely had a lot to do with salary. Theres only so many $400k/yr players they can afford when supporting the rent.
I wonder how hard it is to attract players - 1.. to move to a non-afl state. 2.. to move to a city where rent will cost $500-$1000/wk more (a bill paid after tax so the real cost is even more!)

Agree,
so do we chase Dusty who might or might not play elite footy outside of Richmond, & at what price re salary and therefore other players on our list?
do we re-sign Buddy on a decent contract? What is the cost to other parts of the list?
These guys 'are' incredible players.. but 2023, more likely that these guys 'were' incredible players. Teams dont win flags with players that used to be incredible, especially if paying their contracts results in b22 players being pushed out
Does it come down to the Swans 'needing' to be competitive because we live in the fickle Sydney market. We've seen Geelong stay competitive for years without success (success = Grand finals). I would hate to be a Geelong supporter, watching a 'nearly team' slowly get worse as Selwood, Dangerfield, Hawkins etc get older and slower,, and continually recruit older players at the expense of regeneration of youth.

or... Do we chase an elite 22-24yo? Id be happy to give up draft picks for a player that will make an instant impact and develop and play with the current list over the next 6 years.

Harley said a few months ago when asked about the cost of living in Sydney, 'we will spend every cent of our cap'. He was referring to paying players (and staff) overs to support their rent

yep, but other clubs have tried the same and failed. Credit to Carlton (not happy giving them credit!) Hewett, Cerra and Saad have been great pick ups.
Swans letting Hewett go most likely had a lot to do with salary. Theres only so many $400k/yr players they can afford when supporting the rent.
I wonder how hard it is to attract players - 1.. to move to a non-afl state. 2.. to move to a city where rent will cost $500-$1000/wk more (a bill paid after tax so the real cost is even more!)

Elite 24yo contested mid would be what we need

Figured id pass it on
It'll be interesting to see what Richmond want for him. It could be one of those rare lose lose things.

Melbourne have built a list from recruiting

Lever and may if they didn’t have they don’t win the flag

Time to go hard if possible
We've got three first round picks, we need to start putting flesh on this team.

I would of started trading last year, but this year at least.

Taranto or Brayshaw fit the bill. Both would instantly impact our midfield.
Taranto - yep
Brayshaw (Freo variety) - absolutely, but impossible
Brayshaw (Melb variety) - 2 years too old, and a great player but need to consider that Petracca and Oliver take a lot of the oppos attention, so might make him look better than he is
Hopper - yep

Much discussion about how we desperately need another inside mid to help Parker, Mills & Warner and we need to trade one in. I am not so sure that we do, as I believe that player is already on the list just asking for a change in role. His name is James Rowbottom and he had a breakout season hunting and winning the ball before we decided we only wanted him tackling and blocking.

Unleash him. Let him go after the ball and see what he can do at the coalface where he showed massive potential. He'll still tackle and pressure like a rabid dog but can help make our midfield stronger with his attack on the ball. IMO when he is winning a heap of hard balls and clearances, we are so much better for it. I haven't seen much evidence that we're better off when he's not winning hard balls and clearances because he's defending the man.

This one coaching move could save us a $500k+ trade for a gun mid because we'd be able to develop one from within. He's signed until 2024, he'd be on SFA $-wise, he's only 21 years old. Let's see what this kid can do.

Taranto - yep
Brayshaw (Freo variety) - absolutely, but impossible
Brayshaw (Melb variety) - 2 years too old, and a great player but need to consider that Petracca and Oliver take a lot of the oppos attention, so might make him look better than he is
Hopper - yep

Hopper for mine.
Oliver - pipe dream
Taranto - maybe? Likely vic bound
Drew - value option

If none available, would like Kane Bevan as one of our firsts. 192cm 87kg mid - used to play as KPD before trasitioning. Has averaged about 24 disposals this year.

Round 1 colts 27 disposal, 15 contested
Round 2 colts 26 disposals, 10 plus clearances
Round 3 colts 27 disposals, 1 goal
Round 4 colts 22 disposals

Personally see huge upside in him as he has had all of about 8 games in mids.

This no knock on Lloyd but if we weren’t prepared to pay a hewett the money that was probably more needed why will they pay Lloyd who is more replaceable ( his position) and 29

Imo we shouldn’t offer him a contract, I understand the romance part , being a Skilton medalist etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back