Status
Not open for further replies.

JediSaint

All Australian
Aug 25, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think we’re more and more likely to see Paddy go on… and on and on 😎

Would love to see Paddy sign on for 1 more year. I would only play him at melb games only and play Heath as his replacement on all the away games.

For a KPD I would consider Hayes.

I would also chat with Amon for the mid/wing/HF position

Also I would be chatting to Taranto for a bit of additional inside/ outside play.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
They were saying last night that Paddy was playing on a Durdin or Owies type, so they’ve got him playing on someone much shorter, so that he can peel off when the high balls come in and pick them off, as his man isn’t a marking threat.

If he and Battle or Wilkie swapped and Sydney had them playing that role instead of Paddy, I don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t play it just as well.

That’s why I’d be very interested in a Roughead type.

To free up Howard to play CHB and a more intercepting/rebounding role, which in turn frees up one or both of Battle or Wilkie, to play that sort of role that the Levers and McCartins play.

Then they could be much more of a “weapon” or threat to the other team.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
They were saying last night that Paddy was playing on a Durdin or Owies type, so they’ve got him playing on someone much shorter, so that he can peel off when the high balls come in and pick them off, as his man isn’t a marking threat.

If he and Battle or Wilkie swapped and Sydney had them playing that role instead of Paddy, I don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t play it just as well.

To free up Howard to play CHB and a more intercepting/rebounding role, which in turn frees up one or both of Battle or Wilkie, to play that sort of role that the Levers and McCartins play.

You've obviously been reading my posts.
Personally I'd keep Wilkie doing as he is and get Highmore in.
It would cost Jimmy his spot but such is lyf.

Pato, Roughead, Wilkie
Batts, Howard, Coffield
Highmore.

I'm not sure about Roughead unless we get to the prelim this year and look a tall back down. He's so old all he offers is one more year. I think we either bite the bullet and chase a key piece for the next 5+ years or wait until the season plays out and we have a better idea of what's missing.

To me a small pressure forward to add to the pile would keep Long and Butler at least honest and potential an upgrade. A really really high end contested mid would still be handy but nowhere near as desperate. Maybe a bit of outside run like Amon offers but again I think we could have a couple already on the list like Nas that will pay off if we invest time into them.

I'm still not sure where we are at yet. I think we look top 4 contenders but we aren't easy to have confidence in after a historic stumbling.

Adding another tall back sounds good but if you think that you have a starting back 6 and Wilkie, Battle, Howard and Roughead are 4 of them the last 2 spots have to be something like Hill and Sinclair and then use wings as fill ins.

To me two talls and mid sized like Wilkie is a good set up and this year it's been very effective despite Howard being slightly down. If we bring in a tall back we probably have to push Wilkie or Battle out to VFL. We still have Highmore who is too good for VFL too.

Pato, Roughead, Wilkie
Batts, Howard, Coffield
Highmore.
That's land of the giants stuff. What if the ball hits the ground and Charlie Cameron is patrolling?

Jade Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda

Pato, Roughead, Wilkie
Batts, Howard, Coffield
Highmore.
Highmore was a bright light from a pretty ordinary last season. Disappointed he’s not getting a shot considering his form in the 2s but we are winning atm.
Would hate to lose him. Massive upside.

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Highmore was a bright light from a pretty ordinary last season. Disappointed he’s not getting a shot considering his form in the 2s but we are winning atm.
Would hate to lose him. Massive upside.
Would be a real shame, reckon we should be able to hang onto him, would expect him to take Webster's spot eventually.

I'm not sure about Roughead unless we get to the prelim this year and look a tall back down. He's so old all he offers is one more year. I think we either bite the bullet and chase a key piece for the next 5+ years or wait until the season plays out and we have a better idea of what's missing.

To me a small pressure forward to add to the pile would keep Long and Butler at least honest and potential an upgrade. A really really high end contested mid would still be handy but nowhere near as desperate. Maybe a bit of outside run like Amon offers but again I think we could have a couple already on the list like Nas that will pay off if we invest time into them.

I'm still not sure where we are at yet. I think we look top 4 contenders but we aren't easy to have confidence in after a historic stumbling.

Adding another tall back sounds good but if you think that you have a starting back 6 and Wilkie, Battle, Howard and Roughead are 4 of them the last 2 spots have to be something like Hill and Sinclair and then use wings as fill ins.

To me two talls and mid sized like Wilkie is a good set up and this year it's been very effective despite Howard being slightly down. If we bring in a tall back we probably have to push Wilkie or Battle out to VFL. We still have Highmore who is too good for VFL too.

We have some posters who are determined that we should delist Joyce at the end of the year.
Then we have others ( or are they the same ) who think we should get Roughead.
Hope Oscar works out.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's land of the giants stuff. What if the ball hits the ground and Charlie Cameron is patrolling?
We have a pretty good set now , Howard being our key tall for the usually tall forward , the others Wilkie has played on key forwards like Franklin and Cameron so it seems we don't need to 2m players in the backline , knowing Battle is also a good size.
If either Wilkie or Battle go down we have Highmore.
The only problem is if Howard goes out and Joyce would have to be the guy.
I would keep Joyce and pick up a young tall back like Bazzo from WCE , or that kid from the Crows that can't get a game or hit the draft high for a key tall.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Pato if he recovers his previous form is an elite stopper. Charlie Cameron will tell you the same.
I also don't buy it's too tall. Coff and Wilkie aren't big. Small medium I'd say.
Batts and Highmore are upper mediums who play bigger.

Pato if he recovers his previous form is an elite stopper. Charlie Cameron will tell you the same.
I also don't buy it's too tall. Coff and Wilkie aren't big. Small medium I'd say.
Batts and Highmore are upper mediums who play bigger.

I still prefer some rebound run. Batts, Coff and Highmore all interceptor types more than tight. Wilkie is pretty adaptable and a true accountable defender. Dougs ideal role is as a CHB loose interceptor like Jake Carlisle IMO.

Pato still pushes Sincs or Hill out who do true running rebound work. If they push up to defensive wing roles it pushes more out of those roles. It's getting very tight for defensive spots still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
I was looking at the Davies Uniake kid, he has underwhelmed hasn’t he?
Strange draft at this stage 2017.
1. Rayner
2. Brayshaw
3. Dow
4. LDU
5. Cerra
6. Stephenson
7. Clark
8. Coffield
9. Naughton
10. O’Brien

If I recall correctly the top 6 was a tier above out of reach for us, and our 2 were in the mix with the likes of Bonar and Fogarty 🤢

Maybe it’s too soon to be writing em off in their 5th season but Dow and LDU have been underwhelming,
As has Rayner who was supposed Dusty 2.0
Even cerra who still has wraps isn’t setting the world on fire.

Right now...
1. Naughton
2. Brayshaw
3. Bailey
4. Kelly
5. Fritsch

Fritsh is probably the benefactor of right place right time.
Higgins not far off the top 5 on match winning ability.
Paton a nice pick up late,
And xerri a late pick blooming now.
Worpel and Allen made a charge early in their careers but fallen by the wayside.

I’m backing Clark to bolt up the rankings,
And maybe Dow would benefit from a change of scenery?
Although if diesel thinks he’s soft doubt ratts would’ve interested.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was looking at the Davies Uniake kid, he has underwhelmed hasn’t he?
Strange draft at this stage 2017.
1. Rayner
2. Brayshaw
3. Dow
4. LDU
5. Cerra
6. Stephenson
7. Clark
8. Coffield
9. Naughton
10. O’Brien

If I recall correctly the top 6 was a tier above out of reach for us, and our 2 were in the mix with the likes of Bonar and Fogarty 🤢

Maybe it’s too soon to be writing em off in their 5th season but Dow and LDU have been underwhelming,
As has Rayner who was supposed Dusty 2.0
Even cerra who still has wraps isn’t setting the world on fire.

Right now...
1. Naughton
2. Brayshaw
3. Bailey
4. Kelly
5. Fritsch

Fritsh is probably the benefactor of right place right time.
Higgins not far off the top 5 on match winning ability.
Paton a nice pick up late,
And xerri a late pick blooming now.
Worpel and Allen made a charge early in their careers but fallen by the wayside.

I’m backing Clark to bolt up the rankings,
And maybe Dow would benefit from a change of scenery?
Although if diesel thinks he’s soft doubt ratts would’ve interested.
LDU is having a tough time but I'd take him in a heartbeat.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I still prefer some rebound run. Batts, Coff and Highmore all interceptor types more than tight. Wilkie is pretty adaptable and a true accountable defender. Dougs ideal role is as a CHB loose interceptor like Jake Carlisle IMO.

Pato still pushes Sincs or Hill out who do true running rebound work. If they push up to defensive wing roles it pushes more out of those roles. It's getting very tight for defensive spots still.
Hill is a Winger/HF in my book, and Sincs is a mid now.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not based on where he plays most of his football...and also where he plays his best football.

Sincs loves where he is plays, which is mainly defence and is ELITE in that role. He just rotates through the middle on occassion.
its only the media who look at stats and just assume he must be a midfielder because he played there for a half early in the season

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not based on where he plays most of his football...and also where he plays his best football.

Sincs loves where he is plays, which is mainly defence and is ELITE in that role. He just rotates through the middle on occassion.
There's no definitive line any more. I would select the bigger defense group l nominated, and have Sincs in the team.
And it would still work.

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
Can we rehabilitate Matt Crouch like we have his brother? Would be very cheap. I know that's for a reason, but there must be a good footballer in there somewhere. Brad Crouch has been terrific for us.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Can we rehabilitate Matt Crouch like we have his brother? Would be very cheap. I know that's for a reason, but there must be a good footballer in there somewhere. Brad Crouch has been terrific for us.
He had 35 touches in the twos and 36 last week

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
its only the media who look at stats and just assume he must be a midfielder because he played there for a half early in the season
To be fair, Sinclair is one of our best players around the stoppages and he features pretty heavily around every contest outside of our forward 50.

If you were watching the game as a casual and seeing him receiving the outlet handball from the inside mids all over the ground, it would be pretty easy to mistake him for a pure mid.

His starting position however is of course on the backline and he'd have a man to hold accountable.

Sort of bloke you'd love a couple of in your side. All-Australian certainty.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
To be fair, Sinclair is one of our best players around the stoppages and he features pretty heavily around every contest outside of our forward 50.

If you were watching the game as a casual and seeing him receiving the outlet handball from the inside mids all over the ground, it would be pretty easy to mistake him for a pure mid.

His starting position however is of course on the backline and he'd have a man to hold accountable.

Sort of bloke you'd love a couple of in your side. All-Australian certainty.
He might not get all Australian if the dickheads think he’s a midfielder instead of a half back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back