Banter Adelaide Board's Combined Politics/Covid discussion Banter Thread (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
One thing I noted this morning when I cast my vote was that all the Liberal how-to-vote volunteers were either young men with boyband haircuts and elite private school faces or really old hunchbacked pensioners - nothing at all in-between. Very, very, very, very odd

Mate, a lot are just volunteers. No point having a go. My lib how to vote volunteer was an african immigrant. lets stay positive and not drop to LNP level.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
We know that climate change is real, it's man-made, and it requires drastic action if we're to prevent this world being uninhabitable by the time our grandchildren are taking over.

The challenge the ALP & Greens have is how to manage the transition, from our current fossil fuel dependence, to a world where almost all of our energy comes from renewable sources. There are a LOT of people who are reliant on fossil fuels for their incomes - people whose jobs are under threat, as the world moves away from fuels such as coal. The challenge for the Govt is to re-train these people, and help them find alternative jobs, effectively managing the transition to minimise the losses of those who will be hardest hit.

This is something that the LNP never even contemplated. Their sole plan was to prolong the life of the fossil fuel industry for as long as possible. That plan was never going to work, and their lack of long-term vision now means that the transition will be harder than it needed to be for those who are dependent upon coal for their livelihoods.

How the ALP & Greens manage this transition will be one of the things which determines the success or failure of the Albanese Govt.

ALP v Coalition 2PP % swing
65.5 v 34.5 ACT +3.9%
55.2 v 44.8 NT +1%
54.7 v 45.3 WA +10.2%!
53.9 v 46.1 VIC +0.8%
53.8 v 46.2 TAS +2.2%
53.6 v 46.4 SA 3%
51.4 v 48.6 AUS +2.9%
50.7 v 49.3 NSW +2.5%
45.7 v 54.3 QLD +4%

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
So I’ve got home and watched the final summary on 9, so I’ve been told the Coalition lost because they went too far right. But hang on, they won more primary vote than Labor and One Nation picked up a s**t load of votes, higher than they’ve ever won. So can someone explain how they lost votes for going to far right and yet One Nation did so well?

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
We know that climate change is real, it's man-made, and it requires drastic action if we're to prevent this world being uninhabitable by the time our grandchildren are taking over.

The challenge the ALP & Greens have is how to manage the transition, from our current fossil fuel dependence, to a world where almost all of our energy comes from renewable sources. There are a LOT of people who are reliant on fossil fuels for their incomes - people whose jobs are under threat, as the world moves away from fuels such as coal. The challenge for the Govt is to re-train these people, and help them find alternative jobs, effectively managing the transition to minimise the losses of those who will be hardest hit.

This is something that the LNP never even contemplated. Their sole plan was to prolong the life of the fossil fuel industry for as long as possible. That plan was never going to work, and their lack of long-term vision now means that the transition will be harder than it needed to be for those who are dependent upon coal for their livelihoods.

How the ALP & Greens manage this transition will be one of the things which determines the success or failure of the Albanese Govt.

As long as as many jobs are created through renewables and associated climate change corporations that the gradual decrease in coal jobs becomes unnoticeable. The LNP ran a scare campaign in key seats that the working class feared for their jobs. If ALP can make sure jobs levels are protected and retrainable, it shouldn't be too hard.

So I’ve got home and watched the final summary on 9, so I’ve been told the Coalition lost because they went too far right. But hang on, they won more primary vote than Labor and One Nation picked up a s**t load of votes, higher than they’ve ever won. So can someone explain how they lost votes for going to far right and yet One Nation did so well?
Start by looking at all the seats your moderates lost & question why.

The coalition conservatives got through largely unscathed whilst the moderates got smashed!

What does that suggest about where the direction of the party has been going.

Hmmm....don't consider a job in teaching politics. ;)

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
ON vote is hard to read into as they've never previously ran as many lower house candidates.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide

It is quite simple, this is the lowest Coalition vote since probably the war! When you look at the other side you can combine ALP and Greens for a view of those on the Left.

One Nation and UAP supporters are not necessarily disenfranchised Liberal/National Supporters as their preference flows can be 50/50 between the two major parties.

One Nation vote is up because this time it had candidates on all 151 electorates (as opposed to 2019).

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
You have to be s**t stirring now.

It's like asking people why they feel hot on a 45c day

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Start by looking at all the seats your moderates lost & question why.

The coalition conservatives got through largely unscathed whilst the moderates got smashed!

What does that suggest about where the direction of the party has been going.

Hmmm....don't consider a job in teaching politics. ;)
Where did ONP get their votes from? From the moderates or conservatives? On a seat by seat basis, the moderates were targeted by Labor, Greens and Independents and yes were hammered. These lefties did politics very well.

But as a country as a whole, how did ONP poll so well if the country wanted the Coalition to go left?

As for teaching politics, not interested, showing you up as a chump is enough for me.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
It is quite simple, this is the lowest Coalition vote since probably the war! When you look at the other side you can combine ALP and Greens for a view of those on the Left.

One Nation and UAP supporters are not necessarily disenfranchised Liberal/National Supporters as their preference flows can be 50/50 between the two major parties.

One Nation vote is up because this time it had candidates on all 151 electorates (as opposed to 2019).
So One Nation are really lefties even with their policies?

So the Libs lost votes to a more right wing party and we aren’t talking about preferences, we are taking about primary votes. If you think One Nation picked up Labor voters and not Libs you’re kidding yourself

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
As long as as many jobs are created through renewables and associated climate change corporations that the gradual decrease in coal jobs becomes unnoticeable. The LNP ran a scare campaign in key seats that the working class feared for their jobs. If ALP can make sure jobs levels are protected and retrainable, it shouldn't be too hard.
Unfortunately, it's not that simple.

A lot of the jobs in the renewable industry simply don't pay as much as jobs in the coal industry, it's not even close. It's not simply a case of replacing job-for-job, ithe value of those jobs is also a major consideration.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows

To be fair, it's also the lowest ALP vote (as a %) since 1919.

There's been a pattern of voters moving away from the major parties for a long time. Tonight, it hit like a tsunami, with a record vote for independents - and a record number of independents being elected.

Agree with your comments about Odd Notion. Their vote is up nationally, because they stood in every seat. Their vote in seats where they previously stood was virtually unchanged. There's only one reason why they stood ghost candidates in most seats - the entire party is a money harvesting project, attempting to loot as much funding from the AEC as they can get away with.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Thinking more about that Senate result...

With Greens support, the ALP will only need 1 more vote from the cross-bench, in order to pass their legislation. However, the flipside of this is that it will be almost impossible for them to pass legislation through the Senate without Greens support (unless they receive bipartisan support from the LNP).

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
I note that Mutineer hasn't been sighted in several hours. I assume he's in shock, lying in the foetal position somewhere, as his worst nightmares have come to reality - with the Teal & Greenslides ripping the heart out of the LNP.

Gone back into hiding in his cave.

Now just a comment on the Liberal Vote, once you take out the National Party Vote it is now 22.81% + LibNational (Qld) of 8.18% - so it is less than ALP on its own.

Lets not also forget the strategic voting by ALP supporters in the Teal seats. The ALP vote in all those Teal seats has collapsed.

Interesting in WA, the vote has transferred directly from Lib to ALP. The biggest swings to the ALP occurred in WA.

Jun 23, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Pretty sad that it takes a 4 party coalition to beat the primary vote of 1 party.

Those votes are largely concentrated in certain places and then only smaller amounts of votes across Australia as a whole.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The handbrake has been the Nats imo. They literally stall any progress on anything and the libs can't do anything about it.

So glad this trash coalition is gone. Good effort for Labor to get a win with the propaganda machine against them. Even the Fin review couldn't help themselves.

Energy policy is the biggest challenge (inflation aside) coming up. Lots of investment is required to meet AEMO's plan. At least we've got a government now who listens to them.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
So One Nation are really lefties even with their policies?

So the Libs lost votes to a more right wing party and we aren’t talking about preferences, we are taking about primary votes. If you think One Nation picked up Labor voters and not Libs you’re kidding yourself

That comment just shows how much you actually know about politics and vote counting. I said it can be 50/50 (as it was in 2016 by the way but was more 35/65 in 2019).

Need to understand that not everyone votes rationally. Listening to the carryon of a small % of voters in the booth today highlighted that.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
The handbrake has been the Nats imo. They literally stall any progress on anything and the libs can't do anything about it.

So glad this trash coalition is gone. Good effort for Labor to get a win with the propaganda machine against them. Even the Fin review couldn't help themselves.

Energy policy is the biggest challenge (inflation aside) coming up. Lots of investment is required to meet AEMO's plan. At least we've got a government now who listens to them.

Now it is up to the ALP to deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back