• Kieran Strachan

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't agree with the criticism of our coaching and structure.

We were all over St Kilda in the first half especially, we had more inside 50s, more scoring shots and broke even or won the main midfield stats.

What more can the coach do than get us into a position where we have more inside 50s and more shots at goal?

We lost because we kicked 15 behinds. Half of those we absolutely should have kicked. We do that and we win.
Agree this week

We just don’t have enough skill and class and we all know it but it’s still frustrating

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers

We were all over St Kilda in the first half especially, we had more inside 50s, more scoring shots and broke even or won the main midfield stats.

What more can the coach do than get us into a position where we have more inside 50s and more shots at goal?

We lost because we kicked 15 behinds. Half of those we absolutely should have kicked. We do that and we win.
We need to start questing what Rahilly is doing. We just seem to have no system with our forward
forward entries.

It shits me to tears to watch forwards in other teams with clear leading patterns that create multiple opportunities, yet time and time again our system is to dump it on the head of our forward 20 mtrs from goal.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
We need to start questing what Rahilly is doing. We just seem to have no system with our forward
forward entries.

It shits me to tears to watch forwards in other teams with clear leading patterns that create multiple opportunities, yet time and time again our system is to dump it on the head of our forward 20 mtrs from goal.

Wouldn't that be on the mids coach too? We've got a midfield full of guys who can't hit a target.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
Wouldn't that be on the mids coach too? We've got a midfield full of guys who can't hit a target.
That doesn't help. It's chicken or the egg stuff isn't it?

Do we not have structured leading patterns because we don't have the delivery, or do we not deliver beside there's no one to deliver to?

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Fog hasn’t had a shot on goal for 2 weeks he’s been back , ‘his first quarter was good pushing up the ground ‘ - good for what ?

It’s the over the top Thilthorpe analysis that’s surprising me , first game back after no footy at any level , 2nd year player and showed some signs … also should have kicked 3 goals
The Fog stuff is emotive. Go back and watch.

You've misunderstood my point regarding RT, the question I posed is what is he? LM is definitely a better strong marking forward at this stage.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

What I would say is that we should have locked Hill down at some stage after half time. It was basically Hill at one end v Dawson at the other, and as you pointed out,they won with better accuracy. I think we allowed them too much rebound considering we were clearly exposed in D50

forward entries.

Our forward entries are poor, but again I don't think that was a key issue. We took 10 marks inside 50 and our forwards in total took 10 marks on lead (not all were inside 50 of course). From that work we kicked 9 goals.

The issue IMO was that we had half a dozen players miss easy shots at goal

If our forward entries were better we maybe could have had 30 shots on goal instead of 24 (which would be extremely high from just 47 inside 50s), but with our accuracy on the night we would have kicked 2 goals 4 from those shots and still lost by 5 points

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Strauchan obviously has things to learn .....however he is far superior to ROB

Is it any coincidence, our midfielders have had more clearances since Strauchans's inclusion ? .....or it simply the exclusion of Crouch & inclusion of Hately that has been the difference

When firing ROB would be better than Strauchan .....however those have been so few as to render Strauchan far more consistent, even with just 5 games under his belt ....and in comparing the two, experience or inexperience has to be factored in
The only thing we missed about RoB last night was his a ility to drop back in defence. I would have played both last night, and played RoB in the David Pittmam role.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Interesting criticism of Nicks, the gameplan .....and players last night

Here's my view ....

All the pieces of the Final Team are "almost" there .....it's still just a jumble of pieces though, not yet gelling, as we get games / fitness / strength into players .....some pieces are still playing SANFL;

Pedlar, Milera, Schoenberg, Cook, and McAsey still developing ......add these to the existing team & the whole mix of the team changes

10 players played last night with under 40 games experience .....please factor this into any criticism rendered

Currently, we are mixing & matching these pieces, so short-term, the output is going to be inconsistent

Hately, despite my scepticism, does have a future, as an inside mid .....but he and Crouch cannot co-exist, time yet again to trade him ....same reasons as why Hawthorn want to trade Tom Mitchell ....they are contradictory to a quick movement side

Soligo is a ripper ......I've said since he was Drafted, he's a Shaun Higgins clone

Rachelle burned out a couple of weeks ago ......should he have played the last couple of games ? ....no ....but we didn't have a "ready" piece to replace him with

My bug bear for many years has been contested marking Mids ......I think you can see why, when you look at Dawson play .....we need more contested markers though, as was evident last night

Thilthorpe can be a real star .....2 years away though, strength and playing style at AFL level is still a long way off

I'm still on the fence with Murray, as an AFL player .....I can say, he's nor KPD ....a 3rd tall is more his go, he's not good enough one on one

Hinge has a good future ......height, great kick, and calm under pressure

I agree with thoughts of trading for Connor Stone ......I'd also be chasing Lloyd Meek

Under the circumstances, Nicks is doing a good job .....the effort is there, ATM though effort is often replacing composure in periods of the game ....that's simply experience

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I would say is that we should have locked Hill down at some stage after half time. It was basically Hill at one end v Dawson at the other, and as you pointed out,they won with better accuracy. I think we allowed them too much rebound considering we were clearly exposed in D50

Locking down Hill would have helped us maybe reduce their score I agree - and surely with our bunch of 3 scrappy defensive forwards we could have used one on him

But we should have been far ahead in the game at half time

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Fog stuff is emotive. Go back and watch.

You've misunderstood my point regarding RT, the question I posed is what is he? LM is definitely a better strong marking forward at this stage.
Logan McDonald is a great player and will be great , Thilthorpe is showing signs too , I think they will both be very good picks

North messed up passing over McDonald big time

Fog isn’t much use if he hasn’t kicking goals let alone not getting shots on goal , he doesn’t provide much else and doesn’t get much ball

McAdam was able to lead up and get hit by kicker on the lead

7.4 possessions a game and 0.4 goals a game , Fog is making Todd Marshall look like Royce Hart

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
The only thing we missed about RoB last night was his a ility to drop back in defence. I would have played both last night, and played RoB in the David Pittmam role.
Agree IF ROB was back to taking contested marks .....his #1 wood ....which has only been a rare part of his game this year

He hasn't showed the intent with his marking ....and his feet have been stuck in cement

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
Our forward entries are poor, but again I don't think that was a key issue. We took 10 marks inside 50 and our forwards in total took 10 marks on lead (not all were inside 50 of course). From that work we kicked 9 goals.

The issue IMO was that we had half a dozen players miss easy shots at goal

If our forward entries were better we maybe could have had 30 shots on goal instead of 24, but with our accuracy on the night we would have kicked 2 goals 4 from those shots and still lost by 5 points
Alot of our shots on goal seem to come from just sheer intent and scrapping though. That's fine some of the time, but it can't be our go to.

We have no obvious strategy to get get the ball in the hands of our best kickers, in good position (that I can see at least).

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Locking down Hill would have helped us maybe reduce their score I agree - and surely with our bunch of 3 scrappy defensive forwards we could have used one on him

But we should have been far ahead in the game at half time
Oh yeah agree we should have been well in front, but the fact is, we weren't.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting criticism of Nicks, the gameplan .....and players last night

Here's my view ....

All the pieces of the Final Team are "almost" there .....it's still just a jumble of pieces though, not yet gelling, as we get games / fitness / strength into players .....some pieces are still playing SANFL;

Pedlar, Milera, Schoenberg, Cook, and McAsey still developing ......add these to the existing team & the whole mix of the team changes

10 players played last night with under 40 games experience .....please factor this into any criticism rendered

Currently, we are mixing & matching these pieces, so short-term, the output is going to be inconsistent

Hately, despite my scepticism, does have a future, as an inside mid .....but he and Crouch cannot co-exist, time yet again to trade him ....same reasons as why Hawthorn want to trade Tom Mitchell ....they are contradictory to a quick movement side

Soligo is a ripper ......I've said since he was Drafted, he's a Shaun Higgins clone

Rachelle burned out a couple of weeks ago ......should he have played the last couple of games ? ....no ....but we didn't have a "ready" piece to replace him with

My bug bear for many years has been contested marking Mids ......I think you can see why, when you look at Dawson play .....we need more contested markers though, as was evident last night

Thilthorpe can be a real star .....2 years away though, strength and playing style at AFL level is still a long way off

I'm still on the fence with Murray, as an AFL player .....I can say, he's nor KPD ....a 3rd tall is more his go, he's not good enough one on one

Hinge has a good future ......height, great kick, and calm under pressure

I agree with thoughts of trading for Connor Stone ......I'd also be chasing Lloyd Meek

Under the circumstances, Nicks is doing a good job .....the effort is there, ATM though effort is often replacing composure in periods of the game ....that's simply experience
Hately > Matt Crouch

Hard for them to get Matt back in now although they’ll probably try haha

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree this week

We just don’t have enough skill and class and we all know it but it’s still frustrating
That loss had nothing to do with skill and class in general play, it came down to missing regulation set shots that even average skilled players should be able to execute more often than not. Max King kicking 6 straight didn’t help either, 9 times out of ten he kicks 3.3 or 4.2 with the shots he was generating.

Tex and RT didn’t just suddenly lose the ability to kick straight, so I’m hoping Tex’s last shot on goal helped get the confidence back!

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
That doesn't help. It's chicken or the egg stuff isn't it?

Do we not have structured leading patterns because we don't have the delivery, or do we not deliver beside there's no one to deliver to?

Also regarding chicken or the egg stuff, are we drafting guys with poor skills, or do our coaches not place enough emphasis on skill work? I get that we haven't recruited enough guys with elite disposal, but our current squad can't even hit the easy ones.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Hately > Matt Crouch

Hard for them to get Matt back in now although they’ll probably try haha
Agree .....the Club needs to get Crouch's trade value up .....midfield is too slow with Hately, Crouch, and Berry ....they'll try, it'll fail though

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Agree IF ROB was back to taking contested marks .....his #1 wood ....which has only been a rare part of his game this year

He hasn't showed the intent with his marking ....and his feet have been stuck in cement
Went alright in the twos. I would have given him the one on one job on King and let Murray be the third man up. RoB would have been able to engage King physically and match him for height.

The game plan didn't match selection. We went in short, then allowed them far too much leeway with Hill bouncing off their half back line.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Good
McHenry (and Strachan) coming in to fly the flag after Murphy copped that high cheap shot

Bad
Murphy's following set shot from the 50m penalty. His field kicking is abysmal, his goal kicking is worse (wasn't alone tonight but his is always terrible). Stoppage mid or nothing.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
That loss had nothing to do with skill and class in general play, it came down to missing regulation set shots that even average skilled players should be able to execute more often than not. Max King kicking 6 straight didn’t help either, 9 times out of ten he kicks 3.3 or 4.2 with the shots he was generating.

Tex and RT didn’t just suddenly lose the ability to kick straight, so I’m hoping Tex’s last shot on goal helped get the confidence back!
I reckon it was both

We could have not just won , but won by 6 goals if we’d not miss kicks going forward as well as goals . Even some of our skilled players end up making errors by foot when it spreads

Back