Banter Adelaide Board's Combined Politics/Covid discussion Banter Thread (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FTVGz0nVEAEk9lO
SA senator Alex Antic says: "The Liberal partyā€™s experiment with the poison of leftism and progressivism must be over."
These RWNJs just don't get it do they? They've taken exactly the wrong lesson away from this election.

"The electorate rejected us because we were too far to the right, so we should move even further to the right" is not the lesson they should be learning.

Canavan is at least partly correct. They were rejected because they couldn't sell their green credentials - because the public could see through them, after 9 years of doing nothing about climate change. The obvious solution should be to fix their green credentials, not throw them away completely. Throw them away completely, and they will never win another election.

Yowsers, there are some tight contests at present.

Gilmore
ALP - 47,570
Lib - 47,291
Difference - 279 votes (last updated 11 min ago)

Menzies
Lib - 36,902
ALP - 36,857
Difference - 45 votes (no change since last night)

Sturt
Lib - 42,252
ALP - 42,189
Difference - 63 votes (last updated 43 min ago)

These electorates are seriously going down to the wire. Every time I look at Gilmore & Sturt they've swapped leaders.

Stupid LNP voters in that case, as Dyer was preferencing the Greens and Labor 2 and 3 on her how to vote card.

I dare say this wouldā€™ve happened all across the electorate. Maybe they werenā€™t hardcore LNP voters but a lot of the voters who got Morrison across the line in 2019 would have inadvertently voted for Teal Independents.

Most people didnā€˜t know what the Teal Independents were all about, they just see ā€œIndependentā€œ on the voting slip and use it as a protest vote.

Crow till I die

I dare say this wouldā€™ve happened all across the electorate. Maybe they werenā€™t hardcore LNP voters but a lot of the voters who got Morrison across the line in 2019 would have inadvertently voted for Teal Independents.

Most people didnā€˜t know what the Teal Independents were all about, they just see ā€œIndependentā€œ on the voting slip and use it as a protest vote.

Crow till I die
That's a big call.

I mean everyone of them were for climate change and ICAC.

You could have put a protest vote to UAP or one Nation if it was anything else.

I care less about our grubby corporates than I do the international entities that make s**t trucks from trading here but pay no tax. Fix that first and then look at domestic taxpayers.

But, I do read/hear people talk about overhauling the tax system, but I never hear what the actual issues are. I hear the result, ā€œxyz p/l pays no taxā€, but what is the specific component thatā€™s flawed?
You serious? Someone who earns a cajillion dollars but pays no tax - surely even you can see the fundamental flaw?

Across the country on first preferences LNP had 35%, One Nation 12%, ALP 32 %.
the ALPā€™s primary vote is on 32% (its actually slowly creeping upwards as the prepolls and postals come in) because in about 12 traditionally strong Liberal seats in NSW and Victoria that had Teal independents running in themā€¦ huge swathes of the traditional labor voters strategically voted for the teal independent instead.. preferencing labor.

thus the Labor PV nationwide took a hit..

very astute voting really.. these labor voters usually end up wasting their vote voting for the labor candidate in strong liberal seats.. instead they switched their primary vote to the Teal independent in their seat and destroyed the sitting Coalition MPā€¦ seeya Friedandburnt, sharma, Wilson and the others! and good riddance too..

as a labor voter..if you cant get your labor candidate then you are better off backing the teal and getting a more moderate centre leaning MP in parliament.

the biggest laugh is the Liberal party PVā€¦. its around 23.5%!ā€¦

hopefully the dickheads put Dutton in as leader, they lurch even further to the hard right resulting in even more centre right teal independents being voted in at the next election and the eventual death of the now hard right coalitionā€¦

thatā€™ll be a shame..

Crow till I die
He is right, people thinking they were putting in a protest vote by following the how to vote card of the independent should have seen how the vote would trickle down. If you are going to vote a particular pathway whatever it is but dont know much about the candidates, grab the how to vote cards to see where their allegiances lay

That's a big call.

I mean everyone of them were for climate change and ICAC.

You could have put a protest vote to UAP or one Nation if it was anything else.

It was purely strategic which seats the TIs ran in.

There are some Liberal seats, especially in Victoria, where theyā€™ll never vote UAP or ON. Frydenbergā€™s seat Kooyong is a prime example.

But the Liberals across the board lost somewhere between 10-14% to the UAP-ON-minor party vote.

Their problem isnā€™t that theyā€™re too right wing, itā€™s that they havenā€™t been able to construct a party that both inner city w***ers and right-wingers vote for in unison.

Itā€™s a strategic problem, not an ideological one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell is he talking about? Being right wing is why they lost lol. If they went to the election with leftist policies, people wouldn't have voted ALP, Greens and Teal. Is he that stupid he doesn't know how it works?
Yes, yes he is!

the ALPā€™s primary vote is on 32% (its actually slowly creeping upwards as the prepolls and postals come in) because in about 12 traditionally strong Liberal seats in NSW and Victoria that had Teal independents running in themā€¦ huge swathes of the traditional labor voters strategically voted for the teal independent instead.. preferencing labor.

thus the Labor PV nationwide took a hit..

very astute voting really.. these labor voters usually end up wasting their vote voting for the labor candidate in strong liberal seats.. instead they switched their primary vote to the Teal independent in their seat and destroyed the sitting Coalition MPā€¦ seeya Friedandburnt, sharma, Wilson and the others! and good riddance too..

Exactly. Strategically, they absolutely pantsed the Coalition.

Well the independents you were champing for who targeted the moderates kicked them out
Yes. The conservative Liberals (mostly) got re-elected. The electorate's rejection of Liberal candidates was (mostly) the moderate Liberals. To say the solution to the electorate rejecting moderate Liberals is to find more moderate Liberals seems unnuanced.

It was purely strategic which seats the TIs ran in.

There are some Liberal seats, especially in Victoria, where theyā€™ll never vote UAP or ON. Frydenbergā€™s seat Kooyong is a prime example.

But the Liberals across the board lost somewhere between 10-14% to the UAP-ON-minor party vote.

Their problem isnā€™t that theyā€™re too right wing, itā€™s that they havenā€™t been able to construct a party that both inner city w***ers and right-wingers vote for in unison.

Itā€™s a strategic problem, not an ideological one.
Labor lost votes as well, to the Greens.

Of course it's ideology, people like Matt Canavan doesn't believe man made climate change is a real problem, neither did Morrison.

The literal rest of the country does, So they voted accordingly.

Even the Liberal Party are saying that, you simply can't construct a unified ideology when one part of the party doesn't even believe its an issue.

It's only 3 or 4 posters here can't seem to see that was the problem.

Yowsers, there are some tight contests at present.

Gilmore
ALP - 47,570
Lib - 47,291
Difference - 279 votes (last updated 11 min ago)

Menzies
Lib - 36,902
ALP - 36,857
Difference - 45 votes (no change since last night)

Sturt
Lib - 42,252
ALP - 42,189
Difference - 63 votes (last updated 43 min ago)

These electorates are seriously going down to the wire. Every time I look at Gilmore & Sturt they've swapped leaders.
Imagine if Sturt had a decent ALP candidate...

That guy is a ******* idiot.

I'll happily vote for anyone else to make sure he is never anywhere near pur countries leadership.
The likes of Canavan are a major part of the Coalition's problem & had a huge part in many moderates losing their seats.

Labor lost votes as well, to the Greens.

Of course it's ideology, people like Matt Canavan doesn't believe man made climate change is a real problem, neither did Morrison.

The literal rest of the country does, So they voted accordingly.

Howā€™d they win the previous three elections then?

Yes. The conservative Liberals (mostly) got re-elected. The electorate's rejection of Liberal candidates was (mostly) the moderate Liberals. To say the solution to the electorate rejecting moderate Liberals is to find more moderate Liberals seems unnuanced.
The Coalition won't win another election without a significant number of moderates... because as we have just found out, there are not enough conservative & national voters.

Win the middle, you win the election.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back