Review Dogs 106 def Suns 87

Remove this Banner Ad

The talking down of Sweet’s game is silly. Although Witts dominated the hitouts by the end, his influence was definitely negated by Sweet staying competitive. The scoring whilst Sweet was off the ground speaks for itself.

Witts is a top 5 ruck in the league and generally always wins that stat, so that’s not to say Sweet was poor. He only took 2 marks for the game, which I believe were both in the last quarter as Sweet understandably was tiring. Not sure on the HO to advantage numbers, but it was hardly a Gawn-like lesson in rucking. I’d say Witts influence on the game was minimal, which is a credit to Sweet’s efforts.

Rucks take longer to develop than any other position, he’s done as much as what could be asked of him with less than 10 games under his belt. As a supporter of a team watching us get belted in the ruck ever since Minson was forced out, it’s a breath of fresh air. English was only really coming into his own before he got injured, even then sometimes he gets destroyed. O’Brien a few weeks back at the same venue absolutely gave him a bath, but I can’t really go back to that considering our entire team was down due to unfortunate circumstances, so we’ll say that was an outlier.

A Sweet/English combo is worth trying for at least a few weeks. Coming back from the flu, English could struggle as a solo ruck and fade out of games. It would be a bonus to play a bit more forward to also help Naughton and our structure, we can’t forget he was part of the “3-headed monster” that were firing with Astro/Bruce/English.

English’s ability around the ground makes us want a clone, but not having a viable second ruck option means we need to try a 2 ruck setup. It’s the same story when English is having a rest when he’s the solo ruck, we usually start getting put on the back foot.

I’d back our team to get things done when our incredibly mid-heavy side doesn’t need to get put under more pressure in those times we are left with the Cordy/Hannan/Dunkley scenarios, even if Sweet only played 50% of game time and was either rucking or on the bench.

tl;dr - Sweet had a good game, stop being absolute bed wetters

English did not play against Adelaide. Martin did - and was well Beaten by Obrien.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

English did not play against Adelaide. Martin did - and was well Beaten by Obrien.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops, my bad. I blame the hangover…

Probably says even more that Sweet is past Martin now

The talking down of Sweet’s game is silly. Although Witts dominated the hitouts by the end, his influence was definitely negated by Sweet staying competitive. The scoring whilst Sweet was off the ground speaks for itself.

Witts is a top 5 ruck in the league and generally always wins that stat, so that’s not to say Sweet was poor. He only took 2 marks for the game, which I believe were both in the last quarter as Sweet understandably was tiring. Not sure on the HO to advantage numbers, but it was hardly a Gawn-like lesson in rucking. I’d say Witts influence on the game was minimal, which is a credit to Sweet’s efforts.

Rucks take longer to develop than any other position, he’s done as much as what could be asked of him with less than 10 games under his belt. As a supporter of a team watching us get belted in the ruck ever since Minson was forced out, it’s a breath of fresh air. English was only really coming into his own before he got injured, even then sometimes he gets destroyed. O’Brien a few weeks back at the same venue absolutely gave him a bath, but I can’t really go back to that considering our entire team was down due to unfortunate circumstances, so we’ll say that was an outlier.

A Sweet/English combo is worth trying for at least a few weeks. Coming back from the flu, English could struggle as a solo ruck and fade out of games. It would be a bonus to play a bit more forward to also help Naughton and our structure, we can’t forget he was part of the “3-headed monster” that were firing with Astro/Bruce/English.

English’s ability around the ground makes us want a clone, but not having a viable second ruck option means we need to try a 2 ruck setup. It’s the same story when English is having a rest when he’s the solo ruck, we usually start getting put on the back foot.

I’d back our team to get things done when our incredibly mid-heavy side doesn’t need to get put under more pressure in those times we are left with the Cordy/Hannan/Dunkley scenarios, even if Sweet only played 50% of game time and was either rucking or on the bench.

This 100%

Yep. Players don't have to have 30 disposals and kick 5 goals to have an influence on the game.

Simply negating your opponent for the day may be a victory. Dale Morris made a career out of it.

And it is also what Zaine Cordy brings if anyone cares to look a bit closer.

Yep. Players don't have to have 30 disposals and kick 5 goals to have an influence on the game.

Simply negating your opponent for the day may be a victory. Dale Morris made a career out of it.

And it is also what Zaine Cordy brings if anyone cares to look a bit closer.

Same for our back line. Chol and Casboult have been a very good key forward duo, and Keath and Gardner kept them under control.

Ed Richards : 188cm 86kgs
Tom Stewart: 190cm 88kgs

Ed reminded of Stewart yesterday with the way he was able to read the ball in the air and get to the right spot and obviously intercept. He's a bit bigger than I thought too and obviously quick.

Didn't see that comparison coming TBH.

Ed Richards : 188cm 86kgs
Tom Stewart: 190cm 88kgs

Ed reminded of Stewart yesterday with the way he was able to read the ball in the air and get to the right spot and obviously intercept. He's a bit bigger than I thought too and obviously quick.

Didn't see that comparison coming TBH.
Someone mentioned Richards is 188cms a few weeks ago. Completely surprised me, though he was around 180cms

Someone mentioned Richards is 188cms a few weeks ago. Completely surprised me, though he was around 180cms

Surely he’s not that tall! Look at Stewart and he’s not far off key defender size, can’t say the same about Ed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ball Up/Throw-In contests against Witts/Chol...

Sweet 56 contests, 22 team clearances (39%)

Cordy 18 contests, 8 team clearances (44%)

So Cordy more effective than Sweet in around the ground stoppages which is where we had an advantage.

Goes against what some in here were saying. Seem to see what they want to see, not necessarily what actually plays out.

Sweet attended 23 centre bounces and we won the clearance 12 times (52%)

Cordy attended 7 centre bounces and we won the clearance once (14%)

Ball Up/Throw-In contests against Witts/Chol...

Sweet 56 contests, 22 team clearances (39%)

Cordy 18 contests, 8 team clearances (44%)
OG, of the 23 centre bounces Sweet attended and the clearances we didn't win (11) how many did the opposition win and how many were reset as a stoppage/ballup?

So Cordy more effective than Sweet in around the ground stoppages which is where we had an advantage.

Goes against what some in here were saying. Seem to see what they want to see, not necessarily what actually plays out.

Have to take into consideration that we push extra numbers around the ball for ball ups and throw ins so hit outs become less of a factor.

Centre clearances are where teams do all the damage.

OG, of the 23 centre bounces Sweet attended and the clearances we didn't win (11) how many did the opposition win and how many were reset as a stoppage/ballup?

Sweet attended 23 centre bounces with us winning 12 clearances, losing 7 and 4 going to a secondary stoppage.

Cordy attended 7 centre bounces with us winning 1 clearance, losing 6 and 0 going to a secondary stoppage.

Sweet attended 23 centre bounces with us winning 12 clearances, losing 7 and 4 going to a secondary stoppage.

Cordy attended 7 centre bounces with us winning 1 clearance, losing 6 and 0 going to a secondary stoppage.

Jesus, that's really telling. To not even get a single secondary stoppage just means that Cordy was beaten pretty thoroughly.

Have to take into consideration that we push extra numbers around the ball for ball ups and throw ins so hit outs become less of a factor.

Centre clearances are where teams do all the damage.

That was the point of my posts (poor attempt at sarcasm)

Hit out numbers mean f**k all if there’s other factor involved. Including but not limited to a midfield that excels on clearance work regardless of who’s the effective ruckman.

Our centre bounce clearance issues are only a recent thing. For a long time while it was English getting spanked one out, we’d still dominate that statistic.

In short, a ruck winning the taps means * all for a lot of the time (particularly for our team).

Jesus, that's really telling. To not even get a single secondary stoppage just means that Cordy was beaten pretty thoroughly.

Didn't get a secondary stoppage last week either. Here are the numbers for both R9/10...

Sweet attended 43 centre bounces with us winning 24 clearances (56%), losing 12 and 7 going to a secondary stoppage

Cordy attended 12 centre bounces with us winning 4 clearances (33%), losing 8 and 0 going to a secondary stoppage.

Saturday’s game is a bit of an outlier imo.

Although not a ruckmans a’hole, Cordy has always been decent at breaking even when pinch hitting in the ruck.

Didn't get a secondary stoppage last week either. Here are the numbers for both R9/10...

Sweet attended 43 centre bounces with us winning 24 clearances (56%), losing 12 and 7 going to a secondary stoppage

Cordy attended 12 centre bounces with us winning 4 clearances (33%), losing 8 and 0 going to a secondary stoppage.

Maybe last week was an outlier as well 😂

Not bad numbers though. No doubt secondary stoppages are contributed to by midfielder work once the ball leaves the hand.

So that's quite good from Sweet at CBs. Wins his share and can help defend them presumably.

Cordy can neither win nor effectively assist in defending them so hopefully he's permanently relieved of these duties from now on.

Wonder if Sweet attends CBs and once it clears bolts to the interchange wing immediately where he could be potentially be a get out marking option if we're rebounding or stay on the park if we've gone straight I50 and scored.

2 more games to assess how to work him best as English eases back in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back