The Greens

Remove this Banner Ad

Internal polling was spot on Ned, not speculators

people were posting here that it was Brandt who had the 17% number - that was always massively optimistic

not saying that the result wasnt a great one (i said they were running a very smart campaign a few days ago), but 17% was never happening

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Now that the Greens got their best ever result, let's hope their demands can actually be implemented
  • No new gas or coal plants - this is achievable, there's time for transition between now and the end of their lives to ensure the lights stay on and the employees are employed then. So long as the technology is available at that time.
  • Mental health and dental into medicare - how that effects dentists and mental health professionals IDK, or if there's a tax hike somewhere to pay for it.
  • 'Building 1m affordable homes' - not sure how this will be achieved. Housing is largely state controlled, how does the industry make new homes more affordable?
  • Better renters rights - as a landlord renters are already very fairly treated, certainly mine are, as is legislated.
  • Free childcare - again not sure how this will be achieved. Childcare is obscenely expensive yet the employees are paid peanuts, industry regulation may bring this into line but then private enterprise will leave childcare as a business. Maybe state run?
  • Wiping student debt - not sure how they'll achieve this.
  • Lifting income support - that is reliant on the market, not something that be 'forced', in the end the fair work commission will decide.
  • The Uluru statement - not any real knowledge on this. A reconciliation process - if so easily achievable and must be achieved.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Now that the Greens got their best ever result, let's hope their demands can actually be implemented
  • No new gas or coal plants - this is achievable, there's time for transition between now and the end of their lives to ensure the lights stay on and the employees are employed then. So long as the technology is available at that time.
  • Mental health and dental into medicare - how that effects dentists and mental health professionals IDK, or if there's a tax hike somewhere to pay for it.
  • 'Building 1m affordable homes' - not sure how this will be achieved. Housing is largely state controlled, how does the industry make new homes more affordable?
  • Better renters rights - as a landlord renters are already very fairly treated, certainly mine are, as is legislated.
  • Free childcare - again not sure how this will be achieved. Childcare is obscenely expensive yet the employees are paid peanuts, industry regulation may bring this into line but then private enterprise will leave childcare as a business. Maybe state run?
  • Lifting income support - that is reliant on the market, not something that be 'forced', in the end the fair work commission will decide.
  • The Uluru statement - not any real knowledge on this. A reconciliation process - if so easily achievable and must be achieved.

And what sort or time line to see these as a tangible positive change?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
You want better renter rights but then say they are already fairly treated. That seems inconsistent. are you for or against the greens policy here?

do they still have death taxes? I would consider voting for them if they still ran on that platform.

Jan 18, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
s**t. The greens have now got massive power.

labour cant get policies through the senate without the greens.

there goes my legislated tax cuts.
Yep, I'll be a tiny bit worse off too. And you know what. I love it.

An extra few thousand a year will be a lot more useful in the hands of a young person in a low skilled job than it will be for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tyberious Funk

Premiership Player
May 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

I don't know why this is a revelation to people. The Greens controlled the balance of power in the Senate in 2010. And in 2013 and 2016, while they didn't have complete control of the balance of power (because there were enough independents / minor parties), they were still pretty powerful because they control 9 votes in a relatively fractured Senate.

In 2010, Julia Gillard was Prime Minister and the Greens leader was Bob Brown. By all accounts, Gillard was a pretty good operator behind the scenes. Let's see how well Albanese can work with Adam Bandt.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Although I had issues with their 'seven demands', overall they ran their most disciplined campaign for a long while and were rewarded with over 12% of the PV and several seats.

I didn't think anything above 12% was realistic, so they should be very pleased with their efforts.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
The leadership of the Greens were so honest with members during the campaign

They told us:
  • Ryan, Griffith and Brisbane were all a huge chance of being won
  • Swan and Pearce were gone for the LNP
  • Labor were on track to win Higgins
  • Dutton would face a tough fight
  • Greens polling was tracking at an all time high

That how all political parties should do it no bullshit just tell members what's going on

The leadership of the Greens were so honest with members during the campaign

They told us:
  • Ryan, Griffith and Brisbane were all a huge chance of being won
  • Swan and Pearce were gone for the LNP
  • Labor were on track to win Higgins
  • Dutton would face a tough fight
  • Greens polling was tracking at an all time high

That how all political parties should do it no bullshit just tell members what's going on

The Greens have no reason to bullshit, their own members or the rest of Australia.

Yep, I'll be a tiny bit worse off too. And you know what. I love it.

An extra few thousand a year will be a lot more useful in the hands of a young person in a low skilled job than it will be for me.
Exactly.

We need more people prepared to think this way, and vote accordingly. The country would be a better place for it.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

The extraordinary level of self-interest from you aside, I wouldn't worry about your tax cuts. Both Labor and the Coalition will wave them through.

I don't know why this is a revelation to people. The Greens controlled the balance of power in the Senate in 2010. And in 2013 and 2016, while they didn't have complete control of the balance of power (because there were enough independents / minor parties), they were still pretty powerful because they control 9 votes in a relatively fractured Senate.

In 2010, Julia Gillard was Prime Minister and the Greens leader was Bob Brown. By all accounts, Gillard was a pretty good operator behind the scenes. Let's see how well Albanese can work with Adam Bandt.
Albanese did a lot of the behind the scenes negotiations during the minority Government, he is more than capable.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Although I had issues with their 'seven demands', overall they ran their most disciplined campaign for a long while and were rewarded with over 12% of the PV and several seats.
You said the demands were an example of something that you unsettle the electorate. Which parts of them specifically do this?

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
You said the demands were an example of something that you unsettle the electorate. Which parts of them specifically do this?

As I've explained before, the seven demands as a whole were not ones that the ALP could reasonably agree to.

This is a matter of perception, but it made The Greens look overly unreasonable. It's something I would have discussed behind closed doors.

However, in hindsight that's a minor quibble, and I'd much rather have them overperforming than UAP or One Toilet Nation.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The extraordinary level of self-interest from you aside, I wouldn't worry about your tax cuts. Both Labor and the Coalition will wave them through.
Everyone is self interested. to believe you arent would be delusional. I voted ALP. Out of self interest.

The income tax cuts (which dont even cover high income earners bracket creep) have already been waved through. But labor will cancel them if the greens make it a condition to pass other policies labor wants. Labor has less seats then the libs in the senate. The only way they can get policy passed is with the greens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back