Lack of Indigenous Coaching Staff... Time for a 'Rooney Rule'?

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think the Rooney rule is a very clever intervention. It does a few things, while still ensuring at each decision that the best candidate is hired.

It makes clubs think carefully about who is out there today who they should give a crack at interviewing. Even if the candidate is not ready today, the process can help the candidate work out what they need to work on and additional experience they need to gain. This helps address the systemic issues that mean Indigenous players have fewer opportunities to coach.

It also means that if clubs don’t want to embarrass themselves interviewing the same candidates over and over, they will put more effort into developing the talent and having more discussions with players who they may have previously assumed we’re not interested (potentially due to unconscious bias).

More importantly, I think the rule just makes people more open minded about who a good candidate could be. Having worked in an organisation that applied a rule, I found it very helpful to think creatively about the best candidate and sometimes landed on a great candidate who I initially wouldn’t have thought of.
That's hasn't really happened in the NFL though.

Teams did just interview the same candidates over and over. Or just pluck a low level assistant who almost has to say yes, and tick the box.

Now it's backfired on them big time with the Brian Flores lawsuit.

I know that a head coach would be a big step forward, but I think right now the focus should be on assistant coaches. Maybe you bring it in for that level. Or you add scholarships or cap discounts as they are doing for female coaches.

As it currently stands though I think the glaring gap is in assistant coaches. If 1 in 10 players on a list in Indigenous then 1 in 10 coaches should be Indigenous.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Literally anyone. Its a leadership / guidance role. You dont think there is a single former indigenous player who would be willing to work at GWS?

so you don't know if anyone applied but you think it's an issue :think:.

I reckon there would be literally hundreds of people who'd love to work at GWS but are they qualified / good coaches?

isn't that the criteria or does the "everyone gets a ribbon" rule apply?

if you seriously think indigenous coaches are being overlooked because they are indigenous you are delusional.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
I think the Rooney rule is a very clever intervention. It does a few things, while still ensuring at each decision that the best candidate is hired.

It makes clubs think carefully about who is out there today who they should give a crack at interviewing. Even if the candidate is not ready today, the process can help the candidate work out what they need to work on and additional experience they need to gain. This helps address the systemic issues that mean Indigenous players have fewer opportunities to coach.

It also means that if clubs don’t want to embarrass themselves interviewing the same candidates over and over, they will put more effort into developing the talent and having more discussions with players who they may have previously assumed we’re not interested (potentially due to unconscious bias).

More importantly, I think the rule just makes people more open minded about who a good candidate could be. Having worked in an organisation that applied a rule, I found it very helpful to think creatively about the best candidate and sometimes landed on a great candidate who I initially wouldn’t have thought of.

the rooney rule was devised by old white guys to protect themselves from law suits. nothing will change in the nfl until more black guys get into the front office and or ownership. the nba is miles ahead.

it doesn't help anyone when jobs are gifted and not earnt.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
so you don't know if anyone applied but you think it's an issue :think:.

The whole point behind this thread is about what the AFL can/should do to encourage clubs to have more indigenous people.

Hird is a s**t bloke. I'd be amazed if there isnt a single indigenous person wanting a job at GWS. Do you think it likely that there was no-one other than Hird who could have done his job?

I mean, I guess if he wanted to share his thoughts on how to avoid ******* up.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
The whole point behind this thread is about what the AFL can/should do to encourage clubs to have more indigenous people.

Hird is a s**t bloke. I'd be amazed if there isnt a single indigenous person wanting a job at GWS. Do you think it likely that there was no-one other than Hird who could have done his job?

I have no idea and I have no clue if he is truly a sh1t bloke. He made a massive mistake and he's paid a huge price.

On the issue of a 'rooney rule' who'd want to be the person employed under this rule knowing they are a token?

The afl have a coaching pathway and getting more indigenous people into that program should be the goal. Give them all the tools they need to be successful and hope they can enjoy a long career in coaching.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have no idea and I have no clue if he is truly a sh1t bloke. He made a massive mistake and he's paid a huge price.

On the issue of a 'rooney rule' who'd want to be the person employed under this rule knowing they are a token?

The afl have a coaching pathway and getting more indigenous people into that program should be the goal. Give them all the tools they need to be successful and hope they can enjoy a long career in coaching.

The rule isnt saying "you must hire" the rule is saying "hey, at least consider candidates from different backgrounds". I think there are terrible issues with quotas, but this isnt that. Its just saying look outside the box.

Because Im pretty sure the box isnt only big enough for the coach in charge of the biggest doping scandal in the history of team sport globally.

As for the coaching pathway, I wonder if Hird ever got around to doing those coaching classes he didnt need when he transitioned from U10 coaching to coaching Essendon.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

I want the job. Doesn't mean I'm qualified for it.

Eddie Betts has just started out as a development coach at Geelong. The pathways are there for indigenous players (and non-players too) to become coaches if that is what they want.

The reality is that a lot of players struggle with home sickness (and understandably so), and want to return home after playing. Can't really blame them, the city isn't always the nicest place to live...

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I want the job. Doesn't mean I'm qualified for it.

Eddie Betts has just started out as a development coach at Geelong. The pathways are there for indigenous players (and non-players too) to become coaches if that is what they want.

The reality is that a lot of players struggle with home sickness (and understandably so), and want to return home after playing. Can't really blame them, the city isn't always the nicest place to live...
What was Hird's coaching qualification when he got the senior job?

Besides a Cert IV in "Golden Boy Studies".

RedBloodBlackSwan

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
the rooney rule was devised by old white guys to protect themselves from law suits. nothing will change in the nfl until more black guys get into the front office and or ownership. the nba is miles ahead.

it doesn't help anyone when jobs are gifted and not earnt.
Have you read OP? Rooney rule says nothing about having to give anyone a job.

Agree with you that one simple rule change will not fix a systemic problem - but I think it is a helpful part of the mix.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Get rid of the bullshit footy department spending caps and allow the bigger clubs to expand their staff with a focus diversity and inclusion to help break down some of those barriers that exist on both sides of the equation?…

Xavier Clarke at the Tigers would seem to be a good candidate.

Very impressive guy and would love to have him back at the Saints.

Always loved the X-man.
Absolutely love what Clarke has done at Richmond, met him a few times and he’s an absolute top bloke and great footy brain and done wonders in terms of developing some of our young talent and has a great report with our indigenous players

Not sure if he would be ready for a sr gig yet still needs a little
More time as a senior assistant/ line coach (mostly been on the development side for us did coach our vfl side for a few years but was during covid) but definitely wouldn’t rule him out for one in the future

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
I think it would be a good initiative by the AFL if all clubs if they wanted to have an indigenous assistant coach that it wouldn't count towards the soft cap or alternatively funded exclusively by the AFL. They're about to do something similar with women right? That's why Daisy is going to work with Geelong?

Or even some mentorship opportunities like spend 5 weeks at an AFL club but it's for local footy and regional footy indigenous coaches who are looking to get some coaching qualifications or potentially make a career out of coaching. An all expenses paid trip type of thing.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Back