Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute freak to be playing at the level he is so early if his career. He’s playing better at afl level than he did at BH 12 months ago and ahead of all the first round picks in last 2 years. Just absolute ridiculous progression from a guy who couldn’t make the junior squads coming up.

Guys like Breust went from BH reserves to afl star but it took years. Jai is improving much faster. So much to like.

Just LOOK at his stats from yesterday: 27 possessions (14 contested), nine clearances, six inside 50s, 664 metres gained, 24 pressure acts, six tackles, 12 score involvements and one goal. That's fantastic for anyone, let alone a bloke only just beyond his teen years and with less than a season under his belt.

The only two problems with all this are: he'll be under pressure to maintain this form, and like Worps, he may struggle at such a young age. He needs to be managed carefully. And we can't judge other youngsters based on his form, only a select few players display such blistering form so early on in their careers. They are freaks, not the norm.

Just LOOK at his stats from yesterday: 27 possessions (14 contested), nine clearances, six inside 50s, 664 metres gained, 24 pressure acts, six tackles, 12 score involvements and one goal. That's fantastic for anyone, let alone a bloke only just beyond his teen years and with less than a season under his belt.

The only two problems with all this are: he'll be under pressure to maintain this form, and like Worps, he may struggle at such a young age. He needs to be managed carefully. And we can't judge other youngsters based on his form, only a select few players display such blistering form so early on in their careers. They are freaks, not the norm.
He's already being tagged.
Wor0el wasn't in his breakout year

Looking back at the 2020 National Draft, for a kid that wasn't selected, a lot of clubs would be considering him with the #1 pick now if they had their time over again.
I think he's from the 2019 draft class actually. Year Rowell went 1. Rowell DOB July 2001, Newc August 2001.

Got to say, Rowell just isn't looking the same since injury. Looking liKe an average plodder right now, but its early
1653268591895.png

Looking back at the draft, Newc rates pretty well compared to that first round. Crazy to think we got him 2 at the MSD

Looking back at the 2020 National Draft, for a kid that wasn't selected, a lot of clubs would be considering him with the #1 pick now if they had their time over again.
I was thinking about this after the game, with the last 18 months of watching these guys at AFL level, wonder where nuke would go in that draft

I think he's from the 2019 draft class actually. Year Rowell went 1. Rowell DOB July 2001, Newc August 2001.

Got to say, Rowell just isn't looking the same since injury. Looking liKe an average plodder right now, but its early
View attachment 1407208

Looking back at the draft, Newc rates pretty well compared to that first round. Crazy to think we got him 2 at the MSD
His age does put him in the 2019 draft but I believe he was overlooked (Gippsland Power politics? Not ready yet?). He probably would've been noticed for the 2020 draft where I believe he was an over-ager for Gippsland but then covid meant no games.

Either way I think he goes top 5 in both years now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1407208

Looking back, if he was in that draft now, who would you take ahead of him? I reckon the only one I for sure would is Anderson.

I'd be very happy with his output if he was the number 1. He has been outstanding.
Exactly this, his ability to play as a key midfielder with both power and endurance is up there with the best I've seen from a kid his age.

Aren't many recent players I can think of who have played the same sort of minutes with the same sort of impact; Martin and Wines are the only two that spring to mind.

If he went in the top 3 of his draft people would be building the hype that he is the next messiah (I still think his the chosen one haha)

I'm with alot of people here tho that he has made the mid season draft such a bigger draw card now and it give validity to it, I hope their is more jai's for all clubs in the mid season which takes some hype of the main draft as it is far to over valued

If he went in the top 3 of his draft people would be building the hype that he is the next messiah (I still think his the chosen one haha)

I'm with alot of people here tho that he has made the mid season draft such a bigger draw card now and it give validity to it, I hope their is more jai's for all clubs in the mid season which takes some hype of the main draft as it is far to over valued
He was taken top 3 in his draft ;)

One thing that stood out to me yesterday was his over head marking, very strong hands.

Given this I can see him processing to one of the hybrid mid/forward roles ala Petracca/Martin in the future which is a very valuable role to play (we need him pretty much full time in the middle though of course due to lack of depth in that part of the ground)

One thing that stood out to me yesterday was his over head marking, very strong hands.

Given this I can see him processing to one of the hybrid mid/forward roles ala Petracca/Martin in the future which is a very valuable role to play (we need him pretty much full time in the middle though of course due to lack of depth in that part of the ground)
Did it a few times where he marked it over head and rode the contact from the defender, landed and immediately turned and went forward or fired out a handball to a teammate out in front. Created so much quick ball movement that led to scores.

That's the kind of thing that is setting him apart from the others in Rising Star contention. He tries to impact with every possession. Always trying to turn every opportunity into a scoring opportunity for the team. If he has to kick a sideways ball to a teammate he's straight away running to make space and setting up to be part of the next chain.

Looking back, if he was in that draft now, who would you take ahead of him? I reckon the only one I for sure would is Anderson.

Exactly this, his ability to play as a key midfielder with both power and endurance is up there with the best I've seen from a kid his age.

Aren't many recent players I can think of who have played the same sort of minutes with the same sort of impact; Martin and Wines are the only two that spring to mind.
Pick 1: Jackson Pick 2: Anderson Pick 3: Green. Then you can throw a blanket over Serong, Pickett, Newcombe, Day and Georgiades.

Pretty crazy that two guys in Jai Newcombe + Nic Martin are probably the 2 clear best rising star prospects but came into the system in really untraditional ways.
How can players with skill sets this good be overlooked with the amount of recruiting analysis there is these days.

He’s gotten so good so quick that his scope for improvement is actually already pretty small compared to a lot of others so his next 2-5 years in the system is going to be fascinating as he becomes the #1 target to shut down

Pretty crazy that two guys in Jai Newcombe + Nic Martin are probably the 2 clear best rising star prospects but came into the system in really untraditional ways.
How can players with skill sets this good be overlooked with the amount of recruiting analysis there is these days.

He’s gotten so good so quick that his scope for improvement is actually already pretty small compared to a lot of others so his next 2-5 years in the system is going to be fascinating as he becomes the #1 target to shut down
To mine it just shows local clubs are still full of club politics and other issues.

Combine that with being a late bloomer and here we are. I reckon kids that develop late are the hardest to draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back