List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo OZ

Team Captain
Jan 19, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
That's how Carlton have built their list. Hewitt, cherra, saad, Martin etc
Any idea how they've managed to stay under the cap? Paid big money for all these guys + Williams and McGovern while re-signing Walsh, Cripps, McKay, Weitering on all big cash too (presumably).

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Any idea how they've managed to stay under the cap? Paid big money for all these guys + Williams and McGovern while re-signing Walsh, Cripps, McKay, Weitering on all big cash too (presumably).
Visy boxes full of $$

So Tom Browne reckons GWS can only afford to keep one of Hopper or Taranto.

If this is correct, I'd love for us to get Taranto. He would not only provide an instant lift to our midfield, but also have us covered for the long term given his age. Taranto, Mills and Warner for the next 10 years has a nice ring to it.

Obviously cap space is the issue but surely with Buddy's deal ending, a few retirements / delistings and us losing Dawson (?600k / yr offer for 3 years), we could afford to fit TT in. Throw in a first rounder and a tall forward ( they seem a bit short on those), deal done.
Either would be good for us I think

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Lloyd wouldn’t get a game at gws
Lloyd would be top 5 B&F at North for the next 4 years.. trade him to them
Give GWS p18 (melb pick) for Taranto. Remind them hat we didn't bid on Green a couple of years ago which essentially gave them a top 5 pick.
North get a top 5 player, Swans get spare $$ and decent compo pick.
Swans get Taranto, GWS get p18; Swans and GWS are all square. Taranto gets to hold up the trophy on Grand final day

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Lloyd would be top 5 B&F at North for the next 4 years.. trade him to them
Give GWS p18 (melb pick) for Taranto. Remind them hat we didn't bid on Green a couple of years ago which essentially gave them a top 5 pick.
North get a top 5 player, Swans get spare $$ and decent compo pick.
Swans get Taranto, GWS get p18; Swans and GWS are all square. Taranto gets to hold up the trophy on Grand final day
Right. So GWS get pick 18 for Taranto?

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
They paid bugger all for Hewett, because Bigfooty deemed him a B-grade jobber, thus deflating his market value.

RedBloodBlackSwan

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Theres something really suss how certain clubs can afford to keep bringing in players?????
AFL want GWS to win - they have well over 20 1st round picks on their list., they want Carlton to win, Cripps, Walsh, Weitering, McKay + other top draft picks and they can still afford to trade in players on good money every year.
I reckon this is all part of why AFL House has refused an external review for 25 years! Corrupt as f**k

nb. Every billion dollar organisation (and most that are smaller too) have regular (5-10 years) external reviews.
People were saying this about Sydney after we won the 2012 premiership and then recruited Tippet and then Franklin in the following 2 years.

I do though think that now is a good time for AFL to do a review. If I was the new CEO coming in, I would want to get the skeletons out of the closet before I owned them.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
From AFL website..

Ballenden is one of 14 players who will this week undergo medical testing in each prospect's state, with the group a strong indicator of club interest ahead of next Wednesday's mid-season draft.

Players needed to have more than one club nomination for them to undergo a medical that will be distributed to AFL club doctors ahead of the draft.

MID-SEASON DRAFT MEDICALS LIST​

Connor Ballenden (Woodville West Torrens)
Jacob Bauer (North Adelaide)
Josh Carmichael (West Adelaide)
Lachlan Carrigan (Richmond VFL)
Jai Culley (Dandenong Stingrays)
Kallan Dawson (Williamstown)
Massimo D'Ambrossio (Western Jets)
Wade Derksen (Peel Thunder)
Mutaz El Nour (Northern Bullants)
Oskar Faulkhead (Bendigo Pioneers)
Ethan Grace (GWS Academy)
Hugo Hall-Kahan (Sandringham Dragons)
Max Ramsden (Sandringham Dragons)
Brynn Teakle (East Fremantle)

El Nour is the only player from this list on our covid top up list. Makes sense that we were one of the clubs who nominated him for a medical. Heres a couple of write ups of him

2021 Victorian Under 23 Young Guns​

#23 Mutaz El Nour (Northern Bullants VFL) 14/08/2001 | 192cm | 83kg

Somewhat a surprise packet on the day, El Nour was ultra impressive in Country’s backline. The Western Bulldogs NGA graduate proved as consistent and reliable as anyone afield in his role, constantly getting into good positions to intercept before using the ball with wonderful composure on the rebound. His short kicking game was sound, as was his decision making by hand when working out of tight spots. The VFL-listed talent also made smart runs to receive and relieve others of pressure, working the percentages well as his side became increasingly besieged. El Nour was also able to use his height to compete aerially when needed, mostly bring the ball to ground or spoiling, but also taking a couple of nice intercept marks. Overall, he could well have been the player who looked most comfortable at the level, putting his name on the radar from seemingly nowhere.

Every AFL club's best top-up player option and mid-season draft considerations (ESPN)​

Sydney

A tall and athletic intercept marking defender, Mutaz El Nour is going from strength to strength in the VFL and has found another level to his play this year. While a few centremetres shorter than Aliir Aliir at 192cm, El Nour possesses similar capabilities as an intercept marking defender who does his best work aerially, while regularly negating the influence of opposition forwards.

Last edited:

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I like the idea of El Nour in the MSD.. Im still hopeful Gould can play a key position in defence along side Tom McCartin. El Nour sounds like a smooth moving athletic intercept defender. Paddy is playing as the intercept defender at the moment.. but..
Next year, if Buddy retires, we'll need a mature body to help Logan and Amartey/McLean/Ladhams.. even if Buddys playing, its hard to imagine Buddy playing every game. Im a fan (if alls well with Paddys fitness/head), that Paddy plays forward and takes the best defender away from Logan.. who knows, it might happen, and might be a very good thing?

Is he the ex Academy grad?
Dont know?? Yep he was.. could be another the Swans are looking at?
19yo, 191cm forward playing for North Adelaide Roosters.. 5 games 15 goals

I agree we a kd 💯 but Our mids gets smashed when up against anyone good

Our mid group as a whole is miles of the best

We have 1 a grader atm compared to 3/4 others have

Dusty imo. We have the chips to do it too. I agree on our mid group but they are young. Our defence I worry after the McCartin boys what else is there? Melican is dreadful.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I’d be going after a ready made defender, it’s what we need now we have everything else
Dusty imo. We have the chips to do it too. I agree on our mid group but they are young. Our defence I worry after the McCartin boys what else is there? Melican is dreadful.
Highly unlikely anyone finds a ready made key defender in the MSD.

Dusty is on $2.4m over the next two years. I think he would prefer the dollars rather than chips,, especially as he'll be turning 32 half way through next season, so doesn't have many pay days left.
Bummer, would be great to be able to pay players in food, especially with how (reportabley) tight our cap is

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
Is he the ex Academy grad?

Yes and he's hot right now. We're one of half a dozen clubs into him

Jacob Bauer went undrafted last year out of the Swans’ Academy but has piqued the interest of at least six AFL clubs with a blistering start to the SANFL season for North Adelaide.

The 19-year-old is one of 14 prospects who will undergo medical testing ahead of the June 1 draft, with players requiring multiple clubs to nominate them.

..Bauer has requested an 18-month contract if he is drafted, which would take him through to the end of the 2023 season...

It’s believed both Sydney clubs – the Giants and Swans – Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond and Carlton are all showing interest in the 191cm swingman, who’s kicked 15 goals in five senior games this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back