Umpiring

Are they?

• Yes

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • They will until this group has officially been broken, Hardwick aint Coach and Gale isn't CEO

Votes: 26 32.1%

• Total voters
Wow AFL360 whately and Robbo absolutely blasted the umpires and the powers above
Credit where credit is due, they hammered them

Now they simply have to do something with the media all over it
Thank *

Wow AFL360 whately and Robbo absolutely blasted the umpires and the powers above

Thank duck
because of hawks bears game not us lol

our games have received the green light

Now that the soy and vodka pair on Fox have found the Hawthorn/Brisbane game to be over-umpired, it falls to the umpies in Sydney to swallow their whistles this weekend.

The question is, will it only be one way? Or does what Sydney has copped lately not excuse them being gifted this time?

Now that the soy and vodka pair on Fox have found the Hawthorn/Brisbane game to be over-umpired, it falls to the umpies in Sydney to swallow their whistles this weekend.

The question is, will it only be one way? Or does what Sydney has copped lately not excuse them being gifted this time?
nothing will change for us will get reamed something shocking

they'll mask it up as "you were the away team"

The Bears did get reamed by the umpires. I particularly noticed as it wrecked my multi😭
I only watched 2 games and both were featuring super one sided umpires. There was a period where the u,piers had more calls than players possessions, I bet that is what the commentators cracked it at, but, it was the lit candle on the iced cake of BS umpiring. Plus the game was unwatchable, only saw it as I was procrastinating. Iirc we are only 10% behind average calls. Or is it 20? 20% is a LOT….
we play rough going to get extra calls.
I am waiting for someone to just not give ball back cop the 50 then roost ball into crowd and tell them to GAGF
hopefully our players have better impulse control and drink less😜

I think if goal umpire had of said "I think it's a goal I just want to make sure it didn't hit the post" they would've used snicko?
But because the goal umpire strangely said (perhaps directed by the AFL) "I think it's a point but I want to make sure it wasn't a goal" they just went with the replay.
I'm assuming it wasn't working, which in itself is an indictment

😂 the Sen show whoever that flog hosting tonight at about 6-30 pm , rekons the umpiring in all games was fine over weekend accept Hawks game , then a caller rang in who’s an amateur umpire alike about RFC cheer squad holding signs about umpiring and that’s a disgrace , went onto say anyone who believes a club Is being singled out by umps is deluded .
Host then told a caller he wasn’t really a real football lover if he stopped going to footy coz he was sick of umpiring 😂

That bloke is a deadset idiot. He thought the phrase was "putting it into Lehmann's terms" and thought Dreamtime game was well umpired.
To his defence it does help to put it into terms the legendary German goalkeeper would put it

Last edited:
That bloke is a deadset idiot. He thought the phrase was "putting it into Lehmann's terms" and thought Dreamtime game was well umpired.
Named after Darren Lehmann obviously. They didn't call him Boof for nothing!

So in 15 of the last 23 matches we lost the free kick count and in 8 of those we won it. That seems bad enough……….but our best free kick “win" was by 8 free kicks. We have had 10 counts as bad as that or worse against us, ie we have lost the free kick count by 8 or more in 10 of our last 23 matches. That is epidemic proportions.

People say it is the way we play, we give away so many free kicks. Well, yeah, we have the most free kicks paid us against us per game in the AFL this season. But we also get the least free kicks in the AFL this season. And where we are getting 13% more free kicks paid against us than AFL median, we are 17% below AFL median for free kicks received.

Oh, people say, well you are probably giving away free kicks where other teams receive them, explaining why your AFL leading deficit in free kicks received correlates with your AFL leading surplus in free kicks conceded.

Ah, ok let’s have a look at the other high conceding teams to see if this rings true:

ClubAverage Frees Conceded% Above AFL MedianAverage Frees Awarded% From AFL MedianCorrelation/Difference
Richmond24.9+1318.1-17Yes/-30%
Swans24+821.70No/-8%
Dockers23.5+623.8+8No/+2%
Eagles22.8+319.9-10Yes/-13%
Kangaroos22.6+223.7+8No/+6%
Power22.6+221.4-2Yes/-4%
Saints22.20220Yes/0%
Giants22.20214No/+4%

So of the 8 teams who concede greater than AFL median free kicks per match, 4 have no discernible correlation whatsoever between higher than AFL median free kicks conceded and lower than AFL median free kicks received. Of the other 3 that do have a correlation, all are a relatively negligible amount away from AFL median free kicks against. And only the hapless Eagles are more than a negligible amount away from ALF median free kicks received.

Richmond’s figures are an outrageous outlier and it can be seen there is no other team who concedes above AFL median free kicks with any significant deficit compared to AFL median on both sides of the ledger.

Looking at this, whatever is afflicting Richmond’s free kick count to this point in the season appears unique to Richmond, and cannot be dismissed simply by saying it is the way we play, as this wouldn’t explain our incredibly low free kicks received count relative to the rest of the AFL in 2022. And I don’t think it can be explained away by saying there is a natural correlation between teams giving away more free kicks and earning less, as the above table does not seem to support that.

Any other ideas? Anyone with better than my very basic mathematic acumen able to put any more sense to it?

Good summary. I ran the numbers in finals from 2017-2020 which I posted elsewhere. We are FF 220 - FA 223. So this puts to rest any theory of it being ‘the way we play’.

Umpires are human … they listen to Dimma’s press conferences and interviews having occasional digs at umpiring. They read his tweet making a mockery of the ARC. They listen to ‘headquarters’ who no doubt advise them to ‘keep a close eye on Tiger tactics’ as they don’t like a team giving the AFL the middle finger as the Tigers have often done.

All those things contribute to a subconscious bias. I don’t believe it’s a conspiracy or cheating … I believe it’s umpires looking for every excuse they can to give a free against us, and looking for whatever reason they can to not pay a free our way.

Other teams get most of the 50/50’s their way and a bunch of soft frees each game. That’s predominantly what we miss out on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fixing umpire dissent is so obvious and easy. Yelling and berating and swearing at the umpire can still be a 50m penalty …AND a fine.

For ‘mild dissent’ each player gets a fine. $500 first offence. Then $1,000. Then $2,000. Umpires are all mic’d up so they can just say “Cotchin dissent” / “Riewoldt dissent” etc… Then any fines are just tallied post game.

Make the club match the player fines and have it come out of their soft cap ….and Money can be donated to umpiring development programs. Believe me, if players are copping it in the hip pocket and it’s costing clubs money they’ll very soon shut-up.

We cannot have games and by extension finals decided by a 50m penalty for ‘arms out’ ….

Thank duck
Whatley isnt bagging umps at all,hes a very highly paid AFL mouthpiece who believes and says that the umps and the state of the game are NOT the reasons for fans dissent...hes a camapigner of the highest order but worse than that hes a liar and a beggar for $$$$

😂 the Sen show whoever that flog hosting tonight at about 6-30 pm , rekons the umpiring in all games was fine over weekend accept Hawks game , then a caller rang in who’s an amateur umpire alike about RFC cheer squad holding signs about umpiring and that’s a disgrace , went onto say anyone who believes a club Is being singled out by umps is deluded .
Host then told a caller he wasn’t really a real football lover if he stopped going to footy coz he was sick of umpiring 😂
i heard that campaigner last night,lets not forget that campaigner licks the company called the 'AFL's d**k to put butter on his bread
sounded like a Crown croupier claiming Blackjack 22 is all fair n square & nothing too see here attitude..SEN's full of nothing but campaigners dining out on corrupt AFL $$$,the only with :8ball::8ball::8ball: to speak the truth on the disgraces that have infiltrated the game is King ironically in his everlasting :rooster: fight with
that campaigner Brad Scott

Fixing umpire dissent is so obvious and easy. Yelling and berating and swearing at the umpire can still be a 50m penalty …AND a fine.

For ‘mild dissent’ each player gets a fine. $500 first offence. Then $1,000. Then $2,000. Umpires are all mic’d up so they can just say “Cotchin dissent” / “Riewoldt dissent” etc… Then any fines are just tallied post game.

Make the club match the player fines and have it come out of their soft cap ….and Money can be donated to umpiring development programs. Believe me, if players are copping it in the hip pocket and it’s costing clubs money they’ll very soon shut-up.

We cannot have games and by extension finals decided by a 50m penalty for ‘arms out’ ….

umpire abuse has always been a reportable offence and should have never been changed anything from that .
It’s been suggested that it’s been introduced to encourage people to take up umpiring particularly at grass roots level . What is actually occurring is umpires at grass roots level are walking away from the game because of the rule . They hate interpreting the rule and as a result of paying free kicks for it ( and stand rule ) more players are becoming frustrated and doing acts in frustration and ending up being reported or just simply giving the game away .
Grass roots footy ‘has a 6000 umpire shortage’ apparently and in some sectors player numbers are low , so new rules have been introduced to make it harder to umpire and less enjoyable for both umpires and players . WTF ???

Imagine a team.getting penalised in a grandfinal
For dissent, protected zone or moving a centimetre off from the stand rule , the opposition kicks the goal to win the grandfinal
Someone will burn the AFL house down.
Against Melbourne, let’s face it that won’t happen. Protected.

They did highlight and comment on the Grimes & Short tackles… Robinson was incensed by them, Whately thought both were wrong, could sympathise with the umpire on Grimes due to angle but was mystified by the Short one.
Both had no idea why Warner was pinged!
Whately actually analysed the free kicks in Bris/Haw… I could have this slightly askew apart from the last bit, 28 definitely there, 22 iffy and 13 completely non free kicks. That’s a lot of bad calls 😱

It seems to me that the umpires have a meeting before each round and pick some rule they will concentrate on, how many dangerous tackles have been paid this year before the last round, now all these tackles are ruled as dangerous, seems very suspicious to me.

I'm over the umpiring and it's just not our games as the Hawks v Brisbane game was a whistle fest. Those rough tackles against Grimes and I think the other was against Baker were both horrendous. The goal umpires are also joining in the madness and it won't be belong before the ballerinas on the boundary take to the stage. I cannot believe how many games in a season they've changed momentum in and the wrong outcome has eventuated. I used to be a fence sitter on bagging them and lived like a mushroom believing it would all even out, but it's just out of control and blind Freddy can see it .
Get in contact with blind Freddy and see what it's got to say about the state of umpiring at the moment...

I don't blame the umps, their heads have been filled with so many rules it is almost impossible to umpire all of them. In days gone, the umps had half a dozen rules to officiate, and half the time they got them wrong such is the difficulty of the game. The new rules that made basic rules harder to officiate.

It is really hard to swallow watching the dangerous tackle rules, the Baker one was unfathomable. So many new ones, the stand, nominate rucking, umpire dissent, even the goal umps and that system is baffling. Not to mention that Richmond cop the really rough end of the pineapple, it is not enjoyable watching football that is constantly being interrupted by umps who have lost the feel for the game.

The blame is squarely with those in charge. Everything is an over reaction. Why can't they do things by halves to see how it is working. The stand rule could be palatable if the marker was able to move two metres either way. Easy to officiate. Dissent, if the ump is given a spray by all means penalise, not a basic asking of an interpretation. The 50m rule is so often taken to 60m+ by over zealous umps, and why not 40m in the first place all those years ago. 50m is a massive penalty in the first place. Name one thing that the ruck nomination has done to benefit the game, all it does is cause more congestion. The list goes on.

Last edited:
Dimma was clearly over it after the game. "Thank * that is over" The stupid journos didnt catch the hint he was referring to how the umpiring made that game unwatchable.

Then he reiterated his usual speil to get out of any fines. "Incredibly hard game to adjudicate".

FFS, WE'RE OVER IT AFL. I cant even watch the s**t anymore it's too much on the ticker.

Back