Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester Utd, New York Rangers
Melbourne aren't unbeatable, obviously they are miles ahead of the comp at the moment but I don't believe teams fear them like they did with us in 08. North kept pace with them for a half yesterday, they do that against a good team and it's going to be a much harder game to win, they aren't destroying teams and Gawn who's a massive part of their team has really struggled this year.

The Brisbane v Hawthorn game was the worst umpired game I've ever seen. Probably why I've stopped watching most games.

3 hrs I'll never get back.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
He doesn’t defend that is why Collingwood kicked so many goals.
Not really his role though, his role is bringing the ball out of defence. 5 R50s, 2 i50s, match high intercepts, 3rd highest MG for his team and second most uncontested possessions supports that. They got the ball to him in space and he went off with it.

You wouldn't have him defending like we do Bews, its not his game.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
The Brisbane v Hawthorn game was the worst umpired game I've ever seen. Probably why I've stopped watching most games.

3 hrs I'll never get back.

Not just that game either. Some of the decisions on Saturday seemed to be decided a long way away and you really couldn't see why they were paid (for both sides).

I don't blame the umpires either, they're given insane directives that they have to follow. Another Geelong supporter near me just chuckled and said it's a game now of senior Auskick with preferably no contact at all. He's not totally wrong either.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Not just that game either. Some of the decisions on Saturday seemed to be decided a long way away and you really couldn't see why they were paid (for both sides).

I don't blame the umpires either, they're given insane directives that they have to follow. Another Geelong supporter near me just chuckled and said it's a game now of senior Auskick with preferably no contact at all. He's not totally wrong either.

As the insistence for more professionalism by the players grows, the umpiring becomes more amateurish.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
The umps seem plenty professional I think. They're fit, know the rulebook backward and forward, make split-second adjudications in a fast moving sport. Watching other sports, MLB and NFL have lots of mistakes. They've introduced the replay cams in recent years, but they are longtime pros.
I think most agree that the biggest problem is the rules themselves. Many fixes have been put forth.
One thing I'd like to see is on how the three work together on the field. I think maybe they are adverse to overruling each other. I'm aware they focus on particular areas during play, but it seems like they let some bad calls go in deference to who whistled it. Part of the problem is when they call something they think was there rather that actually seeing it. If they are screened, another ump should step in to overrule. Again this is based on appearances only.
Another question I have, are the number of free kicks today notably different from during the 'Golden Age'? I'm of the opinion that free kicks are better than ball ups since they spur more spread. IMHO

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Super efficient team. Going to be bloody hard to beat the Demons this season.
But I just cannot watch a whole game of theirs. Just get bored and watch something else.

I like it when a side is 'That damn good' just smashes crap opposition mercilessly like Geelong has done over the last 30-odd years. I don't have the exact numbers but as a 54 y/o Cat fan, I think I've been alive to see all bar about a handful of Geelong's 100+ point wins.

Melbourne really turned the tap on in the Finals last year of course, but you'd think that they would like to dish out some record-breaking payback for some of the regular whippings they have suffered in the recent past. They are good enough to do it but in a way it's like watching a side chase 180 in a one-dayer and taking maybe 43 overs to get there while just milking singles. Geelong, Hawthorn and the Pies in 2010-11 dished out fearful whippings, and that's great to watch in my opinion.

Anyway i looked through *Paul's AFL Tables, and according to my calculations Geelong won nine games by 100+ points up to season 1968, and have won 27 since that year, and taking off the 100+ point win over Sth Melb in 1976, and the two in 1981 in successive weeks against norf and St.Kilda, the 24 remaining ones have all been from 1989 onwards.

Last edited:
Too true. That miss took all the wind out of our sails.
Mooney has said that he was thinking about running through Hodge once he kicked the goal to start a half time brawl, and thus wasn't focused on kicking the goal.

I think that shows what the the attitude was that day. Just thought we had to turn up to win it. Anyway...bad memories.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
ex-saint Sam Fisher is in jail on drug trafficking charges and faces a possible 25 years in jail. This is not some minor thing, he was allegedly smuggling drugs and money hidden in white goods across state borders as part of some syndicate according to the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back