Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam on 360 “Nuke has been training that one step kick cause he missed one earlier in the year from 40 out, reckon his done it 100s of times in the last few weeks”

His going to just get better and better
Sam has mentioned previously that Newk coaches himself. He's self driven and self motivated.

He touched on Newk's mentality on 360 tonight, but also in this interview with Kingy and Cornes.

Around the 10.20 mark.

Sam has mentioned previously that Newk coaches himself. He's self driven and self motivated.

He touched on Newk's mentality on 360 tonight, but also in this interview with Kingy and Cornes.

Around the 10.20 mark.

I absolutely love that mentality towards developing kids. Let them motivate themselves to an extent, let them do the additional work they want to do and keep the S&C fellas away.

There's a story I always love repeating about how a similar thing happened when Rioli started, there were a bunch of guys around the club who wanted to over train and complicate things for him and Dimma Hardwick told them in no uncertain terms to f off.

Pretty crazy that two guys in Jai Newcombe + Nic Martin are probably the 2 clear best rising star prospects but came into the system in really untraditional ways.
How can players with skill sets this good be overlooked with the amount of recruiting analysis there is these days.

He’s gotten so good so quick that his scope for improvement is actually already pretty small compared to a lot of others so his next 2-5 years in the system is going to be fascinating as he becomes the #1 target to shut down
Covid. They just weren’t playing games in 2020.

He’s gotten so good so quick that his scope for improvement is actually already pretty small compared to a lot of others so his next 2-5 years in the system is going to be fascinating as he becomes the #1 target to shut down

That's an oxymoron.

Not trumpeting, but I said last year in his few games that he adjusts to a new level and then exceeds it with every waking moment.
His trajectory is skywards right now, but he's not a top 10-20 player in the league.
That's what I reckon he's aiming for, and what he could become.
His future improvement is not small, it's giant in implications as so few can get to the truly elite levels he gives every current indication is his future.

extractasam said:

That's an oxymoron.

Not trumpeting, but I said last year in his few games that he adjusts to a new level and then exceeds it with every waking moment.
His trajectory is skywards right now, but he's not a top 10-20 player in the league.… ”more in his post”

But was the right term an Oxymoron: which is defined as a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction. 🫤. Probably not. Close though.

flinchfree and extractasam : we all agree, the boy continues to exceed every expectation.

According to 7AFL's twitter it's between Newcombe, Rachele and Daicos.

I prefer Newcombe of course I'm biased but perhaps the facts support him as well.

Looking at his stats, he averages a goal assist a game this year which is really good, especially for a midfielder.

How is Ráchele even in the conversation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This kid has started in the guts at centre bounces most out of any other player this season. Up against your Oliver’s, Selwood’s, Cripps ……. week in week out. Getting under Neale’s skin on the weekend was a beautiful thing to watch. It’s extraordinary on how quickly he has come on since arriving from Poowong. Looking forward to the following weeks game to see how our young kids play has gone to another level!

Petracca was a massive disappointment for his first 5 seasons though
Petracca averaged 19 and a goal with over half his possessions being contested and almost a goal assist a game in his second year.

Petracca was always a crazy talent especially as he was generally puffed by half time. It was only about building his fitness.

Dukes got the fitness already, it’s about using his bulk to win the hard ball now. Also not sure duke has the explosiveness of Petracca either.

Last edited:
Absolutely, Newc is way ahead of him at the same age, I am comparing Newc to Petracca now although obviously Newc is not as consistent just yet, it is so great to have a bull in the middle.
Very similiar build to Petracca as well (you can both are they are so strong through the thighs which makes them ahead to tackle)

Also like Petracca Jai has a surprising turn of speed for such a big unit.

Could be anything, but don't think he will won the rising star. The award is given by the all-aus panel, and we know how they view things

I do think he could surprise a few and be top 10 in the brownlow.
In all our games this season there really hasn't been a standout player, so I think he could pinch a couple of 1 and 2 votes, alongside some b.o.g games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back