List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pato if he recovers his previous form is an elite stopper. Charlie Cameron will tell you the same.
I also don't buy it's too tall. Coff and Wilkie aren't big. Small medium I'd say.
Batts and Highmore are upper mediums who play bigger.
Highmore actually looks quite quick and agile. There's no such thing as too tall in my books. Only too slow. Grimes for example can play very well on small forwards

I'm not sure about Roughead unless we get to the prelim this year and look a tall back down. He's so old all he offers is one more year. I think we either bite the bullet and chase a key piece for the next 5+ years or wait until the season plays out and we have a better idea of what's missing.

To me a small pressure forward to add to the pile would keep Long and Butler at least honest and potential an upgrade. A really really high end contested mid would still be handy but nowhere near as desperate. Maybe a bit of outside run like Amon offers but again I think we could have a couple already on the list like Nas that will pay off if we invest time into them.

I'm still not sure where we are at yet. I think we look top 4 contenders but we aren't easy to have confidence in after a historic stumbling.

Adding another tall back sounds good but if you think that you have a starting back 6 and Wilkie, Battle, Howard and Roughead are 4 of them the last 2 spots have to be something like Hill and Sinclair and then use wings as fill ins.

To me two talls and mid sized like Wilkie is a good set up and this year it's been very effective despite Howard being slightly down. If we bring in a tall back we probably have to push Wilkie or Battle out to VFL. We still have Highmore who is too good for VFL too.
I guess the way I’m looking at it is that as things stand right now, if we want to win a flag in the foreseeable future, we’ve got to get past Melbourne, and probably Brisbane, and Melbourne for instance have the 200cm Ben Brown and usually one of 208cm Gawn or Jackson with him, which means Battle is likely to be giving away a heap of height.

Then Brisbane have 201cm Daniher, 200cm Hipwood and possibly 205cm Fort, or 200cm Fullarton.

Are Battle and Wilkie going to be tall enough for these types of guys?

We might be able to get by with them in the H&A season, but when the whips are cracking, are we going to have enough height back there to win prelims and grannies?

That’s my concern.

And Roughead will be the same age next year as Ryder was in his first year with us. So maybe he’d still have a couple of good years in him. It looks like we might end up getting 4 good years out of Ryder.

We’ll definitely know a lot more by the end of the year.

Another potential option is Liam Jones. If Carlton don’t snap him back up again.

Highmore actually looks quite quick and agile. There's no such thing as too tall in my books. Only too slow. Grimes for example can play very well on small forwards
People just like to pigeonhole players based on their height. It's an easy method for those simple of mind.

In our case l think people are missing the forest for the trees. ARR is pushing the same cart somewhat, free up our intercepting players from 1v1 responsibilities and our defense might actually become dominant.
Highmore definitely has the goods. They need to get him in and settled.

Just reading his kicking efficiency in the 2s this year going at 49% went at 31% one game

Makes Dunny look like a laser. That's a no then.

I guess the way I’m looking at it is that as things stand right now, if we want to win a flag in the foreseeable future, we’ve got to get past Melbourne, and probably Brisbane, and Melbourne for instance have the 200cm Ben Brown and usually one of 208cm Gawn or Jackson with him, which means Battle is likely to be giving away a heap of height.

Then Brisbane have 201cm Daniher, 200cm Hipwood and possibly 205cm Fort, or 200cm Fullarton.

We might be able to get by with them in the H&A season, but when the whips are cracking, are we going to have enough height back there to win prelims and grannies?

That’s my concern.

And Roughead will be the same age next year as Ryder was in his first year with us. So maybe he’d still have a couple of good years in him. It looks like we might end up getting 4 good years out of Ryder.

Another potential option is Liam Jones. If Carlton don’t snap him back up again.

I don't think we need a man on man defence still. Having some players to engage the talls is important but you have to cut it off before it gets there not out wrestle them. Melbourne's defence is pretty short and really only has Petty as a big lump backman. Jones is more like Battle, he'll go out and meet the ball and rip it down but he is a bit suspect man on man.

Harris Andrew will generally out mark or get a spoil on with closing speed too. He's like a flasher Dougal. I like the three talls now with Wilkie, Battle and Howard. If you took one out right now it would be Dougal and you'd be no better off with Roughy.

With the back 6 you can't really carry more than three talls or you start getting very slow and sides can just scrub balls in and get you on the ground. Players who can mark are the most important backs now.

The ball comes in much quicker now so reading the ball seems to be more important than size. Adelaide had one tallish back and absolutely blanketed us last week with Coops, King, Membrey and often Ryder or Marshall. They did what Melbourne does and flood back to block up space and stood in front of players to block run.

People just like to pigeonhole players based on their height. It's an easy method for those simple of mind.

In our case l think people are missing the forest for the trees. ARR is pushing the same cart somewhat, free up our intercepting players from 1v1 responsibilities and our defense might actually become dominant.
Highmore definitely has the goods. They need to get him in and settled.

Highmore is like a Wilkie clone. He can play tall or small but he is still a third tall type more than a rebound runner. He could play like Coff did in 2020 as that kind of interceptor off HBF but then it comes down to balance. He's probably unlucky that Battle came on.

I wonder if we could train him as a forward? His marking game is incredible. Perhaps as that high half forward role Memberey plays? Send Tim back to play as a more key forward but would push Coops out.

That’s my concern.

Wouldnt that p1ss the cheats off... we take Liam Jones in the mid season draft after they've had to delist him.

Then he takes Curnow to the cleaners in a big final.

Highmore is like a Wilkie clone. He can play tall or small but he is still a third tall type more than a rebound runner. He could play like Coff did in 2020 as that kind of interceptor off HBF but then it comes down to balance. He's probably unlucky that Battle came on.

I wonder if we could train him as a forward? His marking game is incredible. Perhaps as that high half forward role Memberey plays? Send Tim back to play as a more key forward but would push Coops out.
Or we just leave him doing what he's good at and enjoy the dozen intercept marke per game.

I don't think we need a man on man defence still. Having some players to engage the talls is important but you have to cut it off before it gets there not out wrestle them. Melbourne's defence is pretty short and really only has Petty as a big lump backman. Jones is more like Battle, he'll go out and meet the ball and rip it down but he is a bit suspect man on man.

Harris Andrew will generally out mark or get a spoil on with closing speed too. He's like a flasher Dougal. I like the three talls now with Wilkie, Battle and Howard. If you took one out right now it would be Dougal and you'd be no better off with Roughy.

With the back 6 you can't really carry more than three talls or you start getting very slow and sides can just scrub balls in and get you on the ground. Players who can mark are the most important backs now.

The ball comes in much quicker now so reading the ball seems to be more important than size. Adelaide had one tallish back and absolutely blanketed us last week with Coops, King, Membrey and often Ryder or Marshall. They did what Melbourne does and flood back to block up space and stood in front of players to block run.
On the flip side you own the air and entirely remove one method of scoring forcing the oppo to run it forward all day slowing their overall scoring rate and tiring them over 4 quarters.
Knowing they won't kick high into the f50 you structure your defensive mids to push them wide and slow their play allowing them to be run down.
Also letting you form a wall around your own f50 preventing the get out kick and providing repeated f50 entries like gets done to us on regular occasion.

We turn Coffield onto our running HB because he's s**t 1v1 but he's big, agile, very fast when he wants to be and has a good kick.
We get a FB as is being suggested.
We use the rest of them to do exactly what they're best at instead of more round peg square hole business.
Then learn to dominate the oppo. Simples.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a fair bit quicker than Wilkie, which is one of Wilkie's downfalls he is pretty slow.

If you look at a Demons forward line if we included Highmore, would we be too slow?

McDonald Spargo Fritsch
Battle Webster Wilkie

Neal Bullen Brown Petracca
Sincs Dougs Highmore

Could still have Paton off the bench as the 7th if we wanted

Supposedly GWS can't afford to keep Hopper & Taranto with what they're currently requesting...would be interested in either as would bolster our midfield!

Hopper is probably the better true mid but Taranto better around goals.

Actually just looked them up. On last year they are really really similar. Even with in a cm and a kg of each other. Hopper the better user by the look of it.

If we got Hopper or Taranto we’d be near the top of the contested ball ladder which usually puts you near the top of the actual ladder. That would be super tempting.

Zurhuur has put contracts on hold. I would have a lot more interest in him then another mid like we have or an outside type. Use him like the bombers have been using stringer. Maybe a 70 forward 30 mid split. Offers a point of difference to the rest of our side. He would be hard to stop with our supply and king bringing it to ground.

Hopper is probably the better true mid but Taranto better around goals.

Actually just looked them up. On last year they are really really similar. Even with in a cm and a kg of each other. Hopper the better user by the look of it.

With DeGoey , Dunkley and Brayshaw all free agents I figure our list manager would looking at these guys before losing there first round draft picks on some expensive mid.
Taranto is off contract at the end of the year so he could move , but last years draft pick has not signed yet so he could well leave Nth knowing there list manager and recruitment manager just pull the pin and the atmosphere by the sounds at the club is toxic.
To me these 2 would be worth spending first round picks on.

Anyway I would not be surprised if we pick up Amon as a free agent and Xerri who is also off contract and we know Nth are imploding.
I'm saying Xerri because I still feel Ryder is not a long term option and is only one injury away from retirement to be honest , of course I would love him to play for a couple more years - but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back