Europe War in Ukraine - Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
This is a sensitive area for some. With that in mind, I'm going to remind a few posters a few things:
  • personal attacks are against forum rules. From this point, any attacks that are directed at another poster will be treated with a warning, then infractions and threadbans if it continues.
  • the spread of misinformation is also against the rules. This is taken very seriously by moderation, and you will be asked to support your opinion from time to time. If you cannot satisfy this, you will be provided an opportunity to retract your post; if you do not, you will receive an infraction and a threadban on that basis.
This is a forum for adults, and I'd appreciate you all treating each other appropriately.

They are all Russians Anyways
Try asking one. I did. Here's a moment from the first day of the invasion, when panic had full control (and she's not even in Kyiv, but near to it).
lt_txt.jpg

Weird, seems to refer to Russians in the 3rd person ... so odd.
("stdeli" is just a typo in translation, it's inconsequential but means "did" or in this case "spent")
Fortunately her fears did not come to fruition, though if she was on the north-west side she'd probably be in a ditch now. Or being moved to a neater ditch.
I can share more convos but it's mostly just telling pro-Russian people to die in a fire. They don't couch their words over there.

Ah yes. Our resident pro-Russia bot spinning the pro-Russia line.
Dont you realise that yebiga and Marcel are correct?

It is Ukraine’s fault that Russia have invaded and have had to fight back without capitulating.

Its their fault they have had to defend towns and kill Russian soldiers and destroy equipment as they drove them back to the border.

Its Ukraine’s fault for showing up the Russian army as an inept force that has no idea how to fight a war against a half decent army that doesn’t involve blindly bombing civilians.

Damn those pesky Ukrainians, how dare they!

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
One of my colleagues turned down his conscription (not Russia) by hacking into the system and changing his record to say that he was employed by the government security services.

He got caught and his sentence is longer than his conscription would have been. BUT he was given the choice of working in the security services instead of jail…. so, he could technically argue that he does now work in the security services.
ha ha.
That's actually funny.
He more use out of jail it would seem.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Whoops.

The Vikings that became Russians / took over Russia (and kiev) were from Novgorod. Which like Kiev is old

Or at least that's my understanding, interesting part of history.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Founded ~ 859

Founded ~ 482

Whoops again!

'original power base' cause they conqured Kiev.

Not sure why the fixation the age of Moscow.

St Petersburg was established by peter the great largely to give the nobility the shits.

Apparently some evidence indicates Kiev was founded well after the 400s too

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
'original power base' cause they conqured Kiev.

Not sure why the fixation the age of Moscow.

St Petersburg was established by peter the great largely to give the nobility the shits

Well, it pretty clearly illustrates that Kiev existed long before it got invaded. Which kinda kills your "Ukrainian's are Russian's" narrative you've swallowed.

Russia invaded Ukraine.

Russia is in the wrong.

Everything you post that contradicts that, is wrong.

Crawl back in to your pro-Russia internet hole for a while.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon

Whoops.
It's like they come straight from some Russian bot-farm, post here, then get proven wrong every time. It's admirably shameless in its anti-intellectualism.

Ok I've falled down a Wikipedia rabbit-hole about the town of "Derbent". 8th century BC! Crikey.
(technically the oldest Russian town and one of the oldest towns in the world. Not a source stronghold of Russian civilisation tho)

I always used to tease Russian friends by referring to St Petersburg as "Hey Sweden are you using this swamp? Can we have it?"

Another interesting tidbit, the Belgorod region (which you may know from such curiosities as tiny towns apparently having explosions for no reason and launches of Iskanders from the capital) population seem to refer to themselves as a mix of Russians and Ukrainians.

This Guardian article mentions it:

In the past, Belgorod region did have a heavier Ukrainian percentile. In the 1920s it was close to 60% Ukrainian, while these days it's more like about 95% Russian. Can't remember my source, something like an Encyclopaedia of Ukraine website or something. Found it:
There's numbers everywhere. My brain exploded.

Nothing special, just interesting info.

Not all of it.
Some just sitting in the ports there.
Remember hearing a Ukraine man in that industry on radio talking about it late last week.
Most likely.
There was a photo shown just a few days ago (maybe similar time) where a port (probs Crimea) seemed to be loading grain.
Probably depends where the storage is, who has control of it.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Such a nicer way than my description of them being brain dead.

They're either brain dead or deliberately supporting Russia invading Ukraine resulting in thousands of deaths and millions of refugees.

One is stupidity, the other is being a pretty disgusting human being.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
They're either brain dead or deliberately supporting Russia invading Ukraine resulting in thousands of deaths and millions of refugees.

They way too stupid to really even understand what reality is and the horrors going on. It is why my description is usually brain dead from my end for such types.
Just narratives in their mind from brainwashing.
Disgusting human being is the fat *er that apparently in jail that creates the type of nimrods like Marcel to be the way they are.

A bunch of updates about movements/statuses along the various fronts.
Notable is that Iskanders have been deployed at Brest. This would potentially enable turning Lviv and many other towns eg Lutsk, Rivne, Ternopil along the supply routes to rubble. Which I guess is the plan. But flight paths Brest to Lviv might take missiles very close to Polish airspace, which surely would complicate things.

Operational information as of 06.00 24.05.2022 from the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine:

▪️ The greatest activity of hostilities is observed in the Donetsk operational district, namely near Lysychansk and Severodonetsk.

▪️ The threat of missile and air strikes on objects from the territory of the Republic of Belarus is growing. The aggressor moved the Iskander-M OTRK division to the Brest region to a distance of up to 50 kilometers from the Ukrainian border.

▪️ In the Seversky direction, the cover of the Ukrainian-Russian border in the Bryansk and Kursk regions continues to be strengthened and our troops cannot be transferred to other directions. Engineering equipment of positions in the areas of the international automobile checkpoint "Pogar" and the settlement of Sluchovsk of Bryansk region is noted.

▪️ The enemy launched an air strike on the positions of our troops in the area of Bilopillya, Sumy region.

▪️ In the Kharkiv direction, the Russian Federation focuses its efforts on maintaining its positions and improving its tactical position. In particular, it is carrying out assault operations in order to consolidate on the western and northern outskirts of Ternov.

▪️ In the Slavic direction, enemy units are preparing to resume the offensive. The aggressor, to support the offensive, deployed additional units of artillery in the southern part of the city of Izyum.

▪️ In the Donetsk direction, the enemy is focused on conducting an offensive operation to encircle the cities of Lysychansk and Severodonetsk, with subsequent access to the administrative border of Luhansk region.

▪️ In the Lyman direction, forcing by the enemy of the Seversky Donets River on the section Dronivka - Belogorovka is not excluded. To cover the forcing fire, the invaders deployed units of jet and barrel artillery.

▪️ In the Severodonetsk direction, the enemy, with the support of artillery, conducts assault operations in the directions of Toshkivka and Ustynivka.

▪️ In the Bakhmut direction, the enemy improved its tactical position in the area of Vasylivka.

▪️ In the Avdiivsky, Kurakhivsky and Novopavlovsky directions, the enemy fired with artillery and aircraft.

▪️ In the Zaporizhzhya direction, the occupiers are strengthening groups of troops to resume offensive operations in the direction of Vasylivka - Kamyanske. Carry out regrouping.

▪️In the South Bug direction, the enemy continues to focus its efforts on maintaining the occupied borders.

▪️ In the Kryvyi Rih and Mykolayiv directions, the enemy does not stop artillery shelling of our troops' positions.

▪️ The situation in the Black Sea and Azov operational zones has not changed significantly.

▪️ Over the past 24 hours, sixteen enemy attacks were repulsed in the Donetsk and Luhansk directions, eight tanks, twenty-two units of armored combat vehicles and one enemy vehicle were destroyed.

▪️ Aviation units of the Air Force and Air Defense of the Land Forces destroyed six UAVs, an enemy cruise missile and thirty armored combat vehicles.

Not all of it.
Some just sitting in the ports there.
Remember hearing a Ukraine man in that industry on radio talking about it late last week.
Just saw this, posted not even an hour ago and sounds like they were muscling in on our convo! :
Guess what it is? And this Russian is stealing Ukrainian grain. 2 large cargo ships have collected grain in the Crimean ports and are taking it out. Approximate origin of grain - Kherson and Zaporozhye regions. [Ukraine in Shock]
photo_2022-05-24_16-11-45.jpg

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Kursk Governor Starovoit makes an interesting comment here for a change from reporting random explosions in hamlets with no consequence to the conflict.

Attention! Together with the heads of law enforcement agencies, he decided to extend the "yellow" level of terrorist threat for another two weeks - until June 8. This will help our special services to keep the people of Kursk safe. I ask residents to be vigilant: pay attention to left bags, report suspicious citizens or groups of people to the police at numbers 102 or 112.

Does that look a lot more like mitigative warnings re internal attacks ie sabotage/guerilla, than re shellings from across the border, to anybody else? Or is it just me?

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC

These options dont have to be mutually exclusive....

82% of Ukrainian citizens are not ready to sacrifice their country's territory for the sake of peace with the Russian Federation, - KMIS survey data.
(KMIS = Kyiv International Institute of Sociology)

Added my translations to the graphic:
photo_2022-05-24_20-32-34 (my trans).jpg

QUAD Meeting apparently happened sometime recently. According to this reference it is suggested that Australia, Japan and the USA all said "wtf India" when India came back from the russia store with a shopping trolley full of oil.

The leaders of the QUAD countries (USA, Japan, Australia and India) met in Tokyo: why is this important for Ukraine?

Earlier, India increased its imports of Russian oil to a record high. During the meeting, the US, Australia and Japan called on the country to join the anti-Russian sanctions.

How successful the negotiations were, we will see in the near future.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Hopefully India starts taking all the Iranian oil on offer and pisses the Russians off.

Ideally restricting Russian oil supplies to just China and a multitude of African dictatorships willl have Russia coming to the negotiating table soon enough. Ultimately Russia needs to selll its resources to the west to survive.

Russia still toeing the line that the Moskva was sunk because of a stray cigarette smoker rather than a Ukrainian missile.

Despite claiming only one death they are trying to get parents of conscripts to sign documents stating that their sons died as part of an accident.

The Harpoons seem to be limited to a range of 140km, so Russian ships can stay out of range just like they have after the sinking of the Moska. If Ukraine can however find a way to launch them from aircraft, then we might see some Russian warships in danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back