Corona virus and other pestilences. Poxes ‘n stuff. Part 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My teenage kids caught it the week before last. My son missed out on his school camp despite having a ssore throat for 3 days but feeling fine by the Monday they were meant to go. He had a whole week last week of playing video games because there was no school work (because the entire year level was either on camp or doing out of school activities). Its ******* bullshit.
Eldest teen and wife are on the tail end at the moment. Youngest and I have avoided so far. All the High School sends most days now is a 'COVID update' of X numbers in this year, Y numbers in this. They used to provide classroom breakdowns, so you could at least know to grab a RAT if was in a class your kid was in and they had any symptoms. The current 'update' is completely pointless, when there are around 10 classes for each year level, with students all over the place. Still with masks for kids likely to go I expect it even if youngest and I avoid now, it's going to be impossible to avoid across the year, when schools are still the biggest spreading sites.

Youngest would love to be in your kids situation, since I've had him home the last week at the other end of the house from the infected, I've made him still do his schoolwork, since he's not sick :)

Emergency powers that allowed South Australia's Police Commissioner Grant Stevens to impose COVID-19 lockdowns and mask and vaccine mandates have officially been rescinded. In addition, mask mandates for schools have been lifted.

"In South Australia we have been under an Emergency Management Declaration for 793 days but today that has concluded," Mr Malinauskas said.

Emergency powers that allowed South Australia's Police Commissioner Grant Stevens to impose COVID-19 lockdowns and mask and vaccine mandates have officially been rescinded. In addition, mask mandates for schools have been lifted.

"In South Australia we have been under an Emergency Management Declaration for 793 days but today that has concluded," Mr Malinauskas said.

Janus

Yeah, I've actually read the amendment to the Public Health Act.

1653377847556.png

Do you see what this says? I'll explain it for you in layman's terms: nothing has changed. If something was legal under the auspices of the Emergency Declaration that was in force before the Emergency Act was rescinded, it's still considered legal under the South Australian Public Health Act.

This is the reason why Stevens got rid of the mandates for police officers and teachers before this legislation came into effect. Otherwise they would be stuck with a perpetual mandate for vaccinations too.

Bbbbbut this thread said it was a slippery slope and they'd never hand the powers back and it would become a police state??

68 CV19 dead australia wide today.
14 in SA.
Probably routine catchup after typically low weekend reports.
But still pretty high by Australian standards.

Bbbbbut this thread said it was a slippery slope and they'd never hand the powers back and it would become a police state??

Freedom!

But I actually think Janus is on the right track here in relation to the detail of the changes, which mostly relate to covid-19 only.

Previously there have been two different mechanisms that were used to manage the government response to the covid pandemic : one was the Transition Committee and the other was a COVID-Ready Committee. Both were informal committees within the government - led by unelected public servants (although the final decision on restrictions still rested with the Marshall Government - who elected to take a back seat).

The changes the Malinauskas government have introduced is to bring that back within the formal cabinet structure (i.e. decisions made by elected politicians) through the existing Emergency Management Sub-Committee.

The Chief Public Health Officer, the Chief Executive of the Department for Health and Wellbeing and the police commissioner will continue to provide advice to that committee, as needed.

But it will be the Emergency Management Committee of Cabinet that will make the final decisions and make the advice which ultimately cabinet advises the Governor on them.

For admin reasons, as Janus outlined, the Chief Public Health Officer still has the power to issue directions in relation to COVID-19 under part 11 of the Public Health Act. Although Janus signficantly overstates the extent to which this gives the CPHO ongoing power in relation to the imposition of mandates. Things HAVE changed signficantly in relation to who and how statewide lockdowns are agreed, implemented and managed in the future. In particular I think it is fair to say that with greater leadership from elected Ministers, future decisions on any lockdowns etc. will not be implemented at short notice or without significant community consultation in other than extreme emergencies.

Hopefully someone in the media goes through the changes in detail to provide a more detailed and informative outline of the changes. If they do I'll post them here.

And for those 2 or 3 idiots in this thread who have persisted in making puerile uninformed statements about the seriousness of the pandemic, downplaying the tragic illness and loss of lives that it caused or acknowledging and the role played by lockdowns, mask mandates etc. in saving us from the worst of the pandemic for much of the past 2 years I think Premier Malinauskas summed it up best:

'There are South Australians who are alive today due to the work of Grant Stevens and Nicola Stevens'

But now we move on under new rules for managing our response to the pandemic. But not without at least reflecting on the sadness of those who have been directly affected by the 440 lives lost so far in South Australia due to covid, including 14 yesterday.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You realise LC is an actual thing, right?
How could anybody who reads this thread not realise that? I think I know more about long COVID than some members of my own family.

I don't know how I managing to avoid it when half the school has had it. I might need to get my blood examined by the CSIRO as super blood. Or i am in an age bracket that doesn't do super spreading events.

I don't know how I managing to avoid it when half the school has had it. I might need to get my blood examined by the CSIRO as super blood. Or i am in an age bracket that doesn't do super spreading events.
How do you know you haven't had it? Asymptomatic infections are still pretty common.

Eldest teen and wife are on the tail end at the moment. Youngest and I have avoided so far. All the High School sends most days now is a 'COVID update' of X numbers in this year, Y numbers in this. They used to provide classroom breakdowns, so you could at least know to grab a RAT if was in a class your kid was in and they had any symptoms. The current 'update' is completely pointless, when there are around 10 classes for each year level, with students all over the place. Still with masks for kids likely to go I expect it even if youngest and I avoid now, it's going to be impossible to avoid across the year, when schools are still the biggest spreading sites.

Youngest would love to be in your kids situation, since I've had him home the last week at the other end of the house from the infected, I've made him still do his schoolwork, since he's not sick :)

Spare a thought for the teachers who are sitting ducks in all of this. You have acted responsibly but if parents kept kids with symptoms at home the problem may not be as bad. Of course some kids are asymptomatic and some parents have no means of keeping kids in isolation while they are at work and even stay at home parents may have problems getting kids to isolate for 7 days. Teachers are in a confined space with 20-40 kids and eventually they will be infected.

Spare a thought for the teachers who are sitting ducks in all of this. You have acted responsibly but if parents kept kids with symptoms at home the problem may not be as bad. Of course some kids are asymptomatic and some parents have no means of keeping kids in isolation while they are at work and even stay at home parents may have problems getting kids to isolate for 7 days. Teachers are in a confined space with 20-40 kids and eventually they will be infected.
Yep. My son's girlfriend is a teacher and found out she was infected on Friday - the day before her birthday. My son rang to cancel the restaurant they had booked for Saturday night and was charged $100 cancellation fee!!

But on the bright side at least our teachers are 'just' facing a covid threat.

Instead of discussing the wearing of masks in classrooms, the debate in the US at the moment is whether teachers should be trained to carry guns to protect themselves and their classrooms in case of mass shootings.

Yep. My son's girlfriend is a teacher and found out she was infected on Friday - the day before her birthday. My son rang to cancel the restaurant they had booked for Saturday night and was charged $100 cancellation fee!!

But on the bright side at least our teachers are 'just' facing a covid threat.

Instead of discussing the wearing of masks in classrooms, the debate in the US at the moment is whether teachers should be trained to carry guns to protect themselves and their classrooms in case of mass shootings.
I don’t get why anyone would be a teacher in the current US.
Spied on and reported by parents for ‘supposedly’ teaching CRT.
Limited in how much open support they can give to LGTBQ kids.
Books banned in certain states so as to give a sanitised version of American history.
Gun drills at school and always the potential for a shooting.
Let it rip Covid.
Seriously if it were me I would say stick your job.
They are admirable souls and I really feel for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back