List Mgmt. 2022 Young Talent Time

We already have some developing players;

Switta Amiss Schultz
Sturt/Frederick Treacy Henry/Western

It's still forward/ruck where our weaknesses lies with Benning an optimistic long shot.
Too much hope there for mine. Confident Amiss is very good, your whole 2nd row is too unproven for mine.

I also dont think a forward/ruck picked up now is going to do anything to move the needle. Sheezel could slot in from round 1 next year ala Rachele and make a real difference

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
For mine, if Banfield is rated as in our best 8 forwards and we have 4 30 year olds in the best 22 in that forwardline, we clearly need some more forward talent. Short of a 2nd half season capitulation, we arent getting the Bus anyway.

Would be ok with a late pick used on a KPD

I wouldn't mind looking at Jacob Bauer from North Adelaide, apparently Carlton have been eyeing him off for the MSD. 19 year old, was part of the Swans Academy but went undrafted last year. 191cm, 80kg forward. Would be competing for that 4th tall spot with Banfield and Sturt. He's kicked 13 goals from 4 games, very good mark overhead. Low possession, high impact player.

I wouldn't mind looking at Jacob Bauer from North Adelaide, apparently Carlton have been eyeing him off for the MSD. 19 year old, was part of the Swans Academy but went undrafted last year. 191cm, 80kg forward. Would be competing for that 4th tall spot with Banfield and Sturt. He's kicked 13 goals from 4 games, very good mark overhead. Low possession, high impact player.
Sounds great to me, more depth at that spot is clearly needed

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Almost by definition drafting a forward/ruck is "an optimistic longshot". The buggers take much longer to develop (Darcy being the exception to the rule) so it's often cross your fingers and hope like hell.

Rucks would be a position where mature agers and 19 year old draftees are more successful.

A lot of these guys are simply left alone in their draft year because they won’t be useful for a few years.

Realistically I don’t think you can have more than about 2-3 on your list of 42-44 that are not selection options throughout the year which doesn’t help either. It’s one of the reasons why I wasn’t in favour of reducing list sizes.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

Looks exciting!
MSD chance? Would be nice to have a Tiwi Islander on the freo list.

Wce17

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Chris25 just wondering if you have seen much of Eagles NGA Jordyn Baker? Seems to be having a good year stats wise in the colts. Do you have any thoughts on him?

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
My money is on West Coast taking Florenca with their first pick at the MSD. Would walk straight into their midfield, and I don't think there's any one standout, can't miss 19 year old. If I had to guess...

1. West Coast - Jake Florenca
2. North Melbourne - Massimo D'Ambrosio
3. Essendon - Jai Culley
5. Adelaide - Brett Turner
6. Hawthorn - James Blanck
7. Gold Coast - Hugo Hall-Kahan
8. Collingwood - Max Ramsden
9. Port Adelaide - Kim Kantilla
11. Richmond - Josh Carmichael
12. Geelong - Oskar Faulkhead
13. St Kilda - Casey Voss
14. Sydney - Jamieson Ballantyne
15. Fremantle - Wade Derksen
16. Carlton - Will Reinhold

A lot of guesswork, and just filling in names until I got to us. We might not even want Derksen, but I reckon he's a chance for a few teams before us too - Collingwood, Richmond, Geelong, Saints. A lot will depend on rucks and key defenders, and if many teams have two picks. Blanck is surely going to Hawthorn, but then there's guys like Kallan Dawson, Liam Reidy and Zac Strom - plus Mutaz El Nour and Tyreece Leiu as younger options.

There'll be more players linked as we get closer I'm sure, but I needed to pass the time until our game today.

Chris25 just wondering if you have seen much of Eagles NGA Jordyn Baker? Seems to be having a good year stats wise in the colts. Do you have any thoughts on him?

Not a lot. I don't watch much Colts unless it's for someone in particular. I expect he'll get some game time at the Champs on a wing or flank. Looking like a 40+ selection at the moment, so safe for the Eagles to match.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
My money is on West Coast taking Florenca with their first pick at the MSD. Would walk straight into their midfield, and I don't think there's any one standout, can't miss 19 year old. If I had to guess...

1. West Coast - Jake Florenca
2. North Melbourne - Massimo D'Ambrosio
3. Essendon - Jai Culley
5. Adelaide - Brett Turner
6. Hawthorn - James Blanck
7. Gold Coast - Hugo Hall-Kahan
8. Collingwood - Max Ramsden
9. Port Adelaide - Kim Kantilla
11. Richmond - Josh Carmichael
12. Geelong - Oskar Faulkhead
13. St Kilda - Casey Voss
14. Sydney - Jamieson Ballantyne
15. Fremantle - Wade Derksen
16. Carlton - Will Reinhold

A lot of guesswork, and just filling in names until I got to us. We might not even want Derksen, but I reckon he's a chance for a few teams before us too - Collingwood, Richmond, Geelong, Saints. A lot will depend on rucks and key defenders, and if many teams have two picks. Blanck is surely going to Hawthorn, but then there's guys like Kallan Dawson, Liam Reidy and Zac Strom - plus Mutaz El Nour and Tyreece Leiu as younger options.

There'll be more players linked as we get closer I'm sure, but I needed to pass the time until our game today.

Good effort - impossible to get it 100% right obviously but I’m sure you’ll be even closer this time next week.

Last year I thought I saw a trend favouring 19 year olds (at least 50% of picks) at the MSD and a trend towards favouring local talent perhaps more than at the National Draft (again well over 50%). It almost looks like you’ve done this for your mock MSD.

Is this on purpose or just how it’s worked out?

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Good effort - impossible to get it 100% right obviously but I’m sure you’ll be even closer this time next week.

Last year I thought I saw a trend favouring 19 year olds (at least 50% of picks) at the MSD and a trend towards favouring local talent perhaps more than at the National Draft (again well over 50%). It almost looks like you’ve done this for your mock MSD.

Is this on purpose or just how it’s worked out?

Bit of both. Easier to go for locals when you’re guessing. And teams will know the most about them at this stage of the year - Blanck plays for Box Hill, Faulkhead debuted for Geelong. Turner had his best game of the year against Adelaide, although so did Bauer, Kantilla and most players in the SANFL….Also some clubs won’t really want the added cost of relocating a rookie.

As for 19 year olds, it’d be considered the higher reward play. Unless you have needs or are bad and need immediate improvement.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Derksen or Munkara look fine to me need some spark in the forward line.
Remember the days of Balla, Mayne, Walters defensive games?
This is the issue ATM, Freddy, Banfield are not even close.
Guarding grass instead of being unsociable.
Switta went too far but the others don’t even register.
Crawley is another who bought the intensity.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Remember the days of Balla, Mayne, Walters defensive games?
This is the issue ATM, Freddy, Banfield are not even close.
Guarding grass instead of being unsociable.
Switta went too far but the others don’t even register.
Crawley is another who bought the intensity.
But I thought Banfield was the greatest pressure player of all time?

Back